10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell1978

That just fuels the argument that a huge chunk of Messi's supposed GOAT performances can be credited to him being surrounded by one of the best teams ever.

Only haters like you make such arguments. Besides its all very suggestive, i've been following football since the early 90s and Messi is the best i saw but then again I never saw Maradonna in his prime or Pele so its difficult to compare, even if he wins the World Cup there will be always people who say the Pele or Maradonna was better etc In the end it comes down to individual preference.

footyfan

Calma, calma
The squad Barcelona played with the last 3 games is nowhere near the realm of other good teams.

Even if you consider the full year, he has not done enough to be called the best player. And if you consider the full year, Barcelona are definitely in the realm of other good teams.

I still think it's too early to call him the greatest player of all time. The future will give us a much better picture. If he sulks and sucks like Ronaldinho, who knows what people will think by the time he retires?

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
BlYOnboCUAAC5eS.jpg

:lol: :lol:
Fake?

ceefoo

Since when has any player in the world ever been able to pick his manager or his teammates. I know you aren't advocating it, I'm just asking the question.
Don't get where you get that statement from my post. :unsure:

I'm definitely NOT advocating Messi should pick his Coach or Teammates, I assure you.

I'm trying to say that the way the Coach is using Messi and the plays the team are making are not best suited to getting the best out of Messi, hence the dip in form.

BarcaVillain

Last season wasn't the best but all in all a succesfull season with La Liga and a record 100 points, SF in the CL. Its just the barça fans have been spoiled the last years.

I can promise you that isn't the case with me. I'm primarily an Aston Villa fan, and so far our club has had to put up with 10 home defeats out of 16 so far this season. I see embarrassing statements on this forum after 1 defeat in 20. Barca fans have been treated to the best generation of players possibly in living memory, yet complain about this season when they won the league last year, and still could this year. Every team has a peak in their cycle. I can't say I'm pleased with the last few performances, but my club has lost 4 in a row and is in danger of being relegated for the first time in our history.

Perspective. Things aren't that bad.

Galning

Even if you consider the full year, he has not done enough to be called the best player. And if you consider the full year, Barcelona are definitely in the realm of other good teams.

I still think it's too early to call him the greatest player of all time. The future will give us a much better picture. If he sulks and sucks like Ronaldinho, who knows what people will think by the time he retires?

Calling someone the greatest player, or even a good player for that matter, is always open for debate. I honestly don't care about it.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Only haters like you make such arguments. Besides its all very suggestive, i've been following football since the early 90s and Messi is the best i saw but then again I never saw Maradonna in his prime or Pele so its difficult to compare, even if he wins the World Cup there will be always people who say the Pele or Maradonna was better etc In the end it comes down to individual preference.

It's a very legitimate argument, the fact that Pele played on a stacked Brazil team often counts against him in direct comparisons with Maradona. I've watched football from early to mid 00s and Messi is definitely the best player I've seen too.

I agree that on a personal level, it's always preference.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Do you seriously think he is not performing on purpose? And maybe all the stupid criticism got to him, and his response to it was negative this time.

I don't know why he is not performing. I just can't figure out. If he was purposely not performing as a response to all the criticism (which I don't believe is the case by the way) he received, then he really is an immature prick that needs to be offloaded, sorry.

Flavia, I know the problem is way beyond Messi. I know the who team is playing like shit. Tata is clueless. However, Messi being the so-called best player in the world, being billed the one player who can change the outcome of the game; at this critical juncture when the club was at the risk of having a titleless season, was barely trying and not giving a damn, is simply inexcusable.

Messi was a huge part of the reason why I love Barca. But if he keeps behaving like this, I am going to be a Barca fan who is not a fan of Messi's anymore. Talent-wise, he might be one of the best of all time, however, work-ethic wise, he is not even close. He really broke a lot of people's heart recently. I am fine with how he played against Grenada, but not his behavior in the two CL legs and today's game. I can accept Messi having as many bad games as humanly possible, what I can not accept is the lack of trying and effort. There was no urgency and desire fom him at all.

Messi, you are not winning any fans by playing like this. Good luck at the WC, you will need it.

BarcaVillain

It is not an embarrassing statement, Argentina comes first and rightly so. He has had two World cups ruined by bad managers, so this is his big chance and after coming off a year plagued by injuries it has to be at the forefront of his thinking that he can't afford to get injured again.

If Messi has a great world cup then that will be good for us next season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sacrificing this season? That's excellent for us. What happens if he goes all out in the first game of the WC, gets an injury and is out for 6 months? Is it worth it then? Attempting to save yourself is pointless, unless you play at 100% you're more likely to get injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans