10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This could be true. Sure, another explanation would be that, after 5-6 years of top top football, he has lost some of that hunger which made him walk that extra mile. What more is there to win for him with Barca that he hasn't already won?

If the desire to win all the time doesn't come from within the player, it's very hard for a manager to instill it again.

But he was very hungry for the WC title. And he walked, even during today's final. Does that mean he didn't care, as DonAndreas pointed out?

It just doesn't make sense to say he walks because he doesn't care. I know it is very perplexing, nobody knows the exact answer.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Gutted for him. I really wanted him to win it.

I can see Argentina wanting Simeone to succeed Sabella. With him, they surely have a chance to win it.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It was nice for fifa to give him the golden ball though. Now when people slam him in their arguments years from now people can show them he actually played quite well and has the award to show for it.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I understand the thought process behind this but that's usually not what happens IMO. Look how the Spanish core played in 10/11 after the World Cup victory. Arguably the height of the Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta midfield, crowned by the 5-0 Clasico and 3-1 in Wembley. Look how Iniesta played after Euro 2012 and winning the European Player Of The Year award when he got a bit of individual recognition. The football he played from August until around February was possibly his best. Look how Ribery played when he had a chance to win the Ballon d'Or and how he completely faded after he didn't get it.

Usually you ride this kind of euphoria train for a while. I'm 100 % convinced that Ronaldinho gave up on football after failing to lead Brazil in 2006. For Brazilians that stage is obviously particularly important. 05/06 he was on top of the world, winning the double with Barca and getting applauded in the Bernabeu. After the failed World Cup he didn't give a damn anymore.

I'm not claiming he will do a Ronaldinho. Maybe he'll get back to his best. But realistically part of him died today IMO.

Though I tend to agree with you, it depends from individual to individual. Robben has only gone from strength to strength since that horror night in Johannesburg. Ronaldo is the type of player who just becomes stronger with each loss. The current generation of your nationall team have suffered numerous crushed dreams. Messi himself had his most outstanding seasons after World Cup heartbreak and Copa America heartbreak at home.

Can't say what will happen with Messi. For football's sake, let's hope he gets past this. I think he will have another great chance in Russia to lift the trophy, atleast he has to convince himself of that if he needs to get over this. Most importantly, he needs to be supported from all sides because this is definitely the lowest point of his career. Unfortunately, the media seems to have turned against him a bit. Who remembers the time when Messi was everyone's favorite player?

It was nice for fifa to give him the golden ball though. Now when people slam him in their arguments years from now people can show them he actually played quite well and has the award to show for it.

Sorry, but I think it tarnishes his reputation and taints his 4 in a row even further. I genuinely believe he didn't deserve that award, and you can safely assume most of the footballing world agrees with me.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
its the most important trophy for a national team but if you have the bad luck of being born in a small country you won't even get a chance (like Bale, Giggs, Ibrahimovic)

whereas in club football if you're good you will be able to play for a club thats big enough to compete

besides i think the best club teams play at higher level then the best teams at the world cup

This.

To say a WC title is the ultimate yardstick to evaluate a player's achievement is just sooooo unfair and out of touch with the reality.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Well maybe you don't agree with the award (I think there were other candidates for it that maybe should have won it too) but the four in a row is untouchable. He was the best in the world during those years easily.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Well maybe you don't agree with the award (I think there were other candidates for it that maybe should have won it too) but the four in a row is untouchable. He was the best in the world during those years easily.

You didn't get my point. People will slam him regardless (because he genuinely didnt deserve that award in most people's eyes not just haters) but now they will even say his 4 in a row were undeserved and that he's just a media and FIFA darling.

Stric

I just can't stop think about how Argentina and Messi are considered losers now, despite the fact that they've in some way shown they're better than any other team in the world except one. :lol: Finishing second best is apparently more of an embarrassment than finishing third, fourth or exiting earlier. Winning the silver medal is an amazing achievement and it's way more than anything Messi has achieved with Argentina up to this point. How is anything but awesome for him and the NT? Ridiculous. Of course he's sad and disappointed, but this is a wonderful achievement.

Again he'll be crucified by everyone and he'll be called overrated and whatnot, Cristiano will take the throne again... and Portugal finished 3rd in the group.

Last edited:

spark

BsdpmnnIMAEsF4B.jpg

Ursegor

World Champion
Though I tend to agree with you, it depends from individual to individual. Robben has only gone from strength to strength since that horror night in Johannesburg. Ronaldo is the type of player who just becomes stronger with each loss. The current generation of your nationall team have suffered numerous crushed dreams. Messi himself had his most outstanding season after World Cup heartbreak.

Can't say what will happen with Messi. For football's sake, let's hope he gets past this. I think he will have another great chance in Russia to lift the trophy, atleast he has to convince himself of that if he needs to get over this. Most importantly, he needs to be supported from all sides because this is definitely the lowest point of his career. Unfortunately, the media seems to have turned against him a bit. Who remembers the time when Messi was everyone's favorite player?

Yeah, every person is different at the end. Still. Messi in 2010 for example was only what? 22? Way too young to give up as he knew that he had at least 1 more chance in his prime. His current situation is a bit different. Family man and 4 Ballon d'Ors. Next World Cup he will be 31. Has a bit more of a "end of an era" feeling right now than 2010 IMO.

Ronaldo? Ronaldo never came 10 minutes close to winning a World Cup. I'm not even sure he ever believed he would win that trophy given his comments about Portugal as a team. Don't think he's too shattered about going out in the group stages when he can boast a CL goalscoring record and possibly win another Ballon d'Or for that in a few months. That's his personality. And club football is just not the same. If you fail to win the league or CL you get like 10 more chances. The next season, the season after, the season after season after ... That can never drag you down that much.

I guess Robben 2010 is kinda compareable. But even then Robben in the great scheme of things is just a sidekick, just another player who missed chances like Higuain today. I don't think in 2010 he felt like he was OBLIGED to win Netherlands the trophy single-handedly or that he felt too much pressure that it was going to mark his legacy and whether he's up there with Maradona or not. And it still took him 12 months to get over it. Remember 11/12 he missed a league deciding penalty against Dortmund and a penalty in the CL final and was at an absolute low with Bayern fans booing him in the 12/13 preseason in the Netherlands vs. Bayern friendly at Allianz.

It just feels like Messi really really wanted this trophy badly. I mean there was even this aura around him that he was saving himself for this months before the even had even started. :lol:

I

instinct

I think/hope he'll come back stronger. He is a footballer and his next goal is the CL and the WC in Russia. Football is what gives him the most pleasure in life (besides his family). He loves this sport and he has various reasons to work hard to achieve a successful season at Barca and to be fully fit at the next WC.

I believe in him.

#BeliveInMessi

I don't get people still complaining about him being "lazy", when there's clearly something VERY wrong with him.
This isn't normal, and it's happening every game now. I never saw any other professional player vomiting like this.

This. There's no way he was "lazy" during a world cup final.

Our medical staff needs to look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans