10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
To be honest, a lot of Mourinho's punditry on Yahoo was quite fair and made a lot of sense. I guess beneath the mind game obsession and madman demeanour he's an ok guy and genuinely has a great understanding of the game. If only he wasn't so dislikeable and into mouball 90% of the time though.

Anyway, I'm gutted for Leo :( I really hope he'll recover from this and what some on here predicted about a part of him dying isn't true.

I'm interested to see his distance covered stats in his best games for us last season, like the 4-3 vs RM.

Yes, or lets say 2 years ago, he was 25 then. When was it we first thought something was wrong (i dont mean the laziness part) , i thought he looked good Before the injury , cant remember really but it definatley showed the latter part of last season.

Ursegor

World Champion
He has always run this much and played like this where he chose his moments. He covered less than 9 km in the CL final in 2011. It's now highlighted so much because he's played in a super defensive team that kept bodies behind the ball to be stable defensively with no one worthwile to link up with upfront (Higuain, Palacio and Lavezzi lol) and Mascherano moving the ball in slowmotion to him when he already has 2 defenders on him. It's a galactical difference to Barca where Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Pique are firing balls to his feet non-stop around the edge of the box with options to link up with left and right. He had 66 touches in 120 minutes in yesterday's final. Most of them somewhere around the halfway line. He had 125 touches in 90 minutes in his last CL final. Most of them in meaningful positions in the final third. You guys are so disappointed right now because you believe he is a 1 man team and his Barca teammates are just some random background actors. The only thing wrong with him is his poor physical shape. He is gassed towards end of games. But that's fixable. :lucho:

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Ah, Internet doctors.

it doesn't really take someone to be a professional doctor to understand it is abnormal to vomit so frequently and regularly for so long. this is prolonged unwanted pressure on digestive system,if nothing else, and nothing good can come out of it.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
He has always run this much and played like this where he chose his moments. He covered less than 9 km in the CL final in 2011. It's now highlighted so much because he's played in a super defensive team that kept bodies behind the ball to be stable defensively with no one worthwile to link up with upfront (Higuain, Palacio and Lavezzi lol) and Mascherano moving the ball in slowmotion to him when he already has 2 defenders on him. It's a galactical difference to Barca where Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Pique are firing balls to his feet non-stop around the edge of the box with options to link up with left and right. He had 66 touches in 120 minutes in yesterday's final. Most of them somewhere around the halfway line. He had 125 touches in 90 minutes in his last CL final. Most of them in meaningful positions in the final third. You guys are so disappointed right now because you believe he is a 1 man team and his Barca teammates are just some random background actors. The only thing wrong with him is his poor physical shape. He is gassed towards end of games. But that's fixable. :lucho:

This is a good analysis of Messi and Argentina, I agree. But still, he looked exhausted already in the first half. But of course we saw some magic from him, but we expect more and those expectations rest on how he has performed for us 2008-2012 - but just as you say, with an Iniesta/Xavi/Alves/Busi etc etc etc in top form moving the whole team up and feeding Messi with balls just outside the box with multiple players to link up with that are all world class is different from an 9 players behind the ball Argentina and no players worth mentioning to link up with.
But, after his injury - and even after our team declined a little bit, everybody from Xavi to Alves to Pedro - Messi is still not the same player for us. He looks exhausted, lacks the magic, looses the ball, doesn't score and many times it looks like he doesn't even try. Every and anybody who thinks that fans that emphasizes these things are 'Messi-haters' should really check themselves first. Yes, yes Barca has declined under two coaches and not reinforcing with correct players (Song, no CB's etc) but Messi today is not even 70% of 2008-2012 Messi - that is a fact. And don't show me statistics, because you always shoot statistics down when it comes to Iniesta.

Last edited:
That freaking thigh injury against psg; Messi was holding his thigh at times.
I don't agree that Messi will never win the world cup, he has two more chances and maybe even a third.
Regarding the best player award, I for one don't see a problem with messi winning it. It was always going to be between he & Muller & Robben. But Messi brought at least 6 points to argentina, entirely on his own. No one else achieved this.

Iarwain

Why are people so mad because they gave him Golden Ball? Just look at the past times who got the award. Only 3 times in history it was player from the winning team, and only two times top scorer. The award really is consolation award if you look historically.

BarcaGirl

Why are people so mad because they gave him Golden Ball? Just look at the past times who got the award. Only 3 times in history it was player from the winning team, and only two times top scorer. The award really is consolation award if you look historically.

30sddut.jpg

Icarium

Lifestealer
Messi should only play in big games and should be brought on as a sub if the team is in trouble until he is fully fit. I don't know what is the problem with messi but for one thing i know is that he is tired and he needs rest. I believe someone will step up in his place in btw but he needs rest, that is pretty evident from this world cup. There is no saving himself for the world cup BS he just isn't there physically and that is no way called decline. I think his skill improved and it never stopped decreasing in his entire career. His finishing his passing those little bursts and dribbles nothing reduced, they improved imo. But he had very less stamina and could not do those amazing things more than 4-5 times. People calling him lazy or not good enough and all are pure haters. We all know he is not the leo once we know but imo his skill never dropped and it only improved. He became more of provider and he is not to be blamed for missed chances.

Anyway we are making too much out of his form, he is still the best. With proper tactics we will see a different messi all together. Imagine messi in a possession based team like spain or germany. He would have won 2 WC at least. People who say messi is best in counter attacking football they are wrong. Messi is not known for his pace he is know for his acceleration, he will be at his best if we play tiki taka again or close to that at least. Without possession messi looks lost most of the time like ronaldo in every match. Ronaldo has insane physique and speed, the counter attacking football suits him but not leo. We have to bring back the passing game, not the lateral and useless passing game. The real tiki taka, which made barca invincible.

Icarium

Lifestealer

Even if messi scores and wins World cup they will find a way to say he did not deserve it. Ignore the haters.

Dexter

it doesn't really take someone to be a professional doctor to understand it is abnormal to vomit so frequently and regularly for so long. this is prolonged unwanted pressure on digestive system,if nothing else, and nothing good can come out of it.
Vomiting is natural. It's a part of the bodys' defence system. Vomiting itself is not dangereous.
Messi himself has said it's nothing and I feel confident Barcelona (or Argentina for that matter) has doctors who are more than capable of taking care of it. If it was anything to worry about, they would have done something a long time ago. Like you said, it's been like this for a long time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans