10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaugrana1987

It's not only about the performance but also (and especially) about the effort. For a supposed midfielder he had a pathetic number of touches, less than Neymar up until the 85th minute or so and the latter was subbed off after 60!!!

Other players at least tried, even Douglas tried. Don't know how you could argue with that Sumlit, really...
That too. Ronaldo plays 9 these days...He is not really running around with the ball or doing any buildup play, but he is attacking space and getting goals. Messi now plays 10...He plays 10 where he really doesn't put enough effort at all. He looks like Pirlo on the pitch, and Pirlo is 35.

aki13

Except last game he played really well, just 3 days ago, but you know, lets forget about that. He sucks...

How about we don't overreact and treat it like it is, he had a bad game and the entire team had a bad game. See, simple and without exaggeration.

He was good on Saturday, but not great

No game this season I would give him more than 7.5/10

Today being a 2 or 3/10

JamDav1982

It's not only about the performance but also (and especially) about the effort. For a supposed midfielder he had a pathetic number of touches, less than Neymar up until the 85th minute or so and the latter was subbed off after 60!!!

Other players at least tried, even Douglas tried. Don't know how you could argue with that Sumlit, really...

He is not being asked to play as a midfielder. He is playing as a forward that drops deeper, more so than whoever the other two forward he plays with.

He has no one to link play with him. The full backs were shocking and the players behind him dont get close enough or are even creative enough to provide for him.

To me he looked a bit exasperated at the fact no one is giving him a platform to perform.

Over the last three seasons or so the players that have been on his wave length and linked with him has been Xavi, Alves and Cesc.

I would put money on Messi being pissed of Cesc has been let go.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I think that if a player has a bad game , you can call him of for that without being made a hater.

I don't get the point of playing him so deep in games like these. Every time he got the ball he managed to create something dangerous but was too far from the keeper's box. What's the point of him droping so deep only to give a 3-4 meter long pass. I was expecting him to drop deep only to take on players , leave them behind and give a key pass , creating good chances.

Especially when Iniesta and Rakiric are behind him too... If he drops back, one of the other midfielders should push up a little instead of forcing Messi to pass to a fullback...

blaugrana1987

Hopefully he can play one-two with Suarez when he comes back. As good as Neymar is (and he is good, not great yet) Suarez is beast. Messi declined, you just CAN'T play the entire season below your avg and think you didn't decline. And thats cool, thats why he was better at 18 then Ronaldo was at 23, and why Rooney was better at 18 than now in his "prime" years. They both declined and we should just accept it.

D

damunk

In the Real Madrid system it seems they have 15-20 shots on goal on what ever pairing is upfront.
Barcelona system can seem that they will never even get close to having a shot let alone score.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
His involvement was poor but let's get one thing straight, he had 0 foundation to do well today. The team shape was retreated most of the time, our booted clearances disrupted any forward transition, and his teammates were underperforming quite a bit. Judging him individually, I'd criticize the consistency of his movement and his lack of drive when carrying the ball forward. Other than that, not too horrible. Different from the APOEL game where the team served him well and he had plenty of room to dominate but instead fucked up quite a bit individually.

aki13

Messi has declined we should accept that then adjust expectations of what he should do.

Some people here are still in denial about that

I still compare him to what he was which is probably wrong. He has declined.

For all those who get annoyed at people like myself questioning his level now a days. I equally get annoyed when those people tell me he is a much better all round player now, or that they are glad to see him assisting more and think its much better for the team.

I think they are grasping at straws too. He is not as good as when he scored 82 goals in 2011-2012 and assisted about 26.

He was much better as a player back in 2009-2013

Stric

You don't take the best scorer in the history of football and move him further away from goal. You just don't. I don't care about his through balls or creativity. That amounts to nothing if there's nobody at the end of the pass to put the ball into the net. And if we're lacking creativity in midfield, then maybe we should have thought twice about selling one of the most creative midfielders and arguably the best final pass giver of this generation, only to pull Messi back further into that role and hope it will work out OK.

I know we had 5 wins and clean sheets and bla bla bla, but Messi is by far out best player and the one we should build our game around, and at the moment, the game is not at all suited to his strong points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans