10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMcIlroy

Before the semi finals that Messi played in people were heaving praise on him being so good this tournament and showing what some people have said the energy he has saved for this world cup. And after the goals against Nigeria the praise for him was phenomenal in and around the internet especially twitter. But then after the semi final where he played well first half but went missing second half and the same in the final after missing a few decent chances people have accused him of being wrongly awarded the best player of the tournament. I do not think a player who only gets to the quarter finals can really be in with a shout of the award in my opinion and all of the hatred towards Leo should stop. Even though James Rodriguez did show some phenomenal pieces of skill in his goals, shots, dribbling. Bit of a rant not sure if it makes sense lol.

Stric

Something is definitely going on with Messi. Even when he's off the pitch, you can still see something is not exactly right. Mascherano is much more of a NT captain than he is, I think most of us agree on that, but apart from that, I even remember a particular moment... I think it was right before extra time started in the final, or maybe between the two stretches of extra time, the team was grouped and Sabella and Mascherano were probably giving some motivational speeches or tactics instructions or whatever, and Messi literally walked out of the circle and went off alone. I don't want to make too big a deal out of it, it could be that the ref maybe needed him and Lahm to pick sides or whatever, but it looked strange at that moment.

Mitchell1978

Maradona as ex drug addict and current prick doesn't hold any value for me. If he was supportive he would at least say nothing and not trash Messi for getting that stupid award.
Maybe he would love Messi if he were to get fat and start sniffing powder.

Maradonna has always been jealous of Messi in some way and now hi sees some chance to enhance his own legacy probably. You can say about Pele what you want but its always Maradonna who's talking trash about Pele not the other way around.

Mitchell1978

We best ignore the Messi-bashing that goes on in certain parts of the press. Its disgusting but the best way to counter it is by Messi and barcelona playing well and win as much as possible next (couple of) seasons.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Messi was at about 85% of his complete beast mode, miles and miles ahead of the Messi of this last season but not quite at his best but the thing is, even at 85% he came extremely close to winning the WC. It really wasn't until the quarter finals against Belgium that Argentina honestly started looking like being able to compete deep in the tournament and Messi deserves a lot of credit for picking up the slack for Argentina and dragging them through, despite very poor overall showings from the rest of the team.

It was clear that he was the only one capable of truly producing a moment that could win it for Argentina with the only other player anywhere close to the required level being Di Maria. TBH, the only difference between Brazil and Argentina was that Argentina was better organized, other than that their game plans were very similar: sit back deep, win the ball back and give it to Neymar/Messi. My main point is that Argentina simply need more than just Messi to win the WC and all the criticism he is receiving is well and truly absurd. The only thing I could criticize Messi for is not moving enough off the ball but he was probably told by Sabella to stay central until the team moved to the attacking third and coupled with how tired he was, he still did very well, made good decisions, and either created opportunities to score or kept the play moving with his involvement, not much more you can ask from him.

As for the final, Argentina had chances to win it and really should have between Messi's chance, Higuain's gaffes and Palacio's terrible attempt at a chip. I think they perhaps created more clear cut chances to score than Germany did, at least during normal time and it was clear that Argentina lost because they simply couldn't run anymore. The heart was willing but the body gave way and that all comes down to Sabella. Germany are a very balanced, deep and complete team. 75% of their team play for the top and most competitive teams in Europe, not just their starters and that was Argentina's problem, other than their starting 11, they didn't have the quality on the bench to keep up and its a huge reason why they slowed down against Germany.

Just compare the two teams. Germany had Muller, Ozil, Kroos, Schweini, Hummels, Neuer, Klose, Lahm, Gotze, Schurrle and even young talents like Draxler and Meyer [both whom barely featured] who are all world class players who are key parts of top European clubs while Argentina only has Messi, Di Maria, Mascherano and Aguero. They simply needed more players who can do more than just stand in a space and pass the ball to Messi during the rare chances they got possession.

Di Maria would have changed this game a lot had he featured and would have provided them with the quality in the MF that they were desperately lacking.

Personally, I think its stupid to compare current generation players to past generations since so much changes in football every year that you can't make a completely fair and neutral analysis (one of the biggest is the physical football itself, moves much faster than the old leather balls which is why I think the game is so much faster, physical and more defensively oriented). But honestly, I don't understand why Messi is constantly in this conversation of being a football "God" like Maradona, Pele, etc. while Ronaldo isn't. The only thing that stopped him was injuries, other than that he was just as gifted, ruthless and accomplished as Messi was and unlike Messi, he has won a WC.

I think he has a spot in football's Mount Olympus already however and he doesn't need a WC to keep it, a WC would only strengthen his position there.

Messi still has a chance to win it in 2018 if you ask me though and I think they will have a better chance than winning it this year. If within the next four years Argentina can produce some quality players who are at least on the same wavelength as Messi and Di Maria then I think they could win it. For example, a player like Iturbe who can be a match winner is what Messi needs, someone else who can carry the load and most importantly make it to where he isn't being surrounded by 4 players every time he touches the ball.

I was proud of him, that much is sure.

slim boogy

I said it before but Leo ain't that type of man but he should make it clear he's suffering physically.

Cr7 had everybody lapping up his injury story where tbh he still sprinted and jumped like he usually does.

Messi clearly looks less sharp then before. Once you put it out there you're not 100% ppl are slightly more sympathetic.

As for Maradona and kempes, what they're saying maybe true but it would be better not to say anything at all.

F

Flavia

Bartomeu to sport, when asked if Messi had started declining:

"Let's not joke. He is the best player in the world, even without the wc. Speaks for him all he has done, including this wc. A final is a question of details, sometimes centimeters. Can't change reality."

And his answer to if there is any problem regarding Messi continuity in Barça(this journos... :facepalm:):

"Absolutely not. He is Barcelona. Leo and Masch, in Brasil, have made bigger the name of a club already so huge. We wait new challenges from Messi and his teammates".

I liked his answers :)

F

Flavia

Saw this on twitter:

BsmMcUvIUAAd0ME.jpg

It's an argentinian magazine. It says "Don't cry for me, barcelona. He wasn't the best, he didn't 'burst'. he is sad. Did we sell a joker?
The story of a boy who was made of gold, and today is a failure"

The press never changes.

Bertus

Bartomeu to sport, when asked if Messi had started declining:

"Let's not joke. He is the best player in the world, even without the wc. Speaks for him all he has done, including this wc. A final is a question of details, sometimes centimeters. Can't change reality."

And his answer to if there is any problem regarding Messi continuity in Barça(this journos... :facepalm:):

"Absolutely not. He is Barcelona. Leo and Masch, in Brasil, have made bigger the name of a club already so huge. We wait new challenges from Messi and his teammates".

I liked his answers :)

I would want news about messi's health status tho.

It's been so long now that he has vomiting problems.

On the french radio RMC, Hermel is talking about it for months. And no, he doesn't trash barcelona, he said many times many people are super worried over it but he said the doctors don't find what's wrong.

His problem is not something normal.

:(

Mitchell1978

It could still be just nerves/anxiety/pressure. I don't know off course, i do know that a lot of performers throw up before going on stage, i used to dj and almost every time before playing i had some stomach problems because of nerves though it usually came out the usual way.

F

Flavia

I think if it were just nerves, it'd happen prior to the match, not after 60 min. I have a hiatal hernia and reflux, and I know what a pain it is to have stomachal problems.

Mitchell1978

Just been on another sports forum wit a big footballing section and the debate on Messi after the WC-final is not that bad, quite nuanced, some criticism but plenty of praise for him also.

I

instinct

BsmxjHfCQAEew6J.jpg

can anyone translate?

Edit: I wonder if it's his official page. I think not...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans