10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdimike

Ok, step 1. get glasses or new eyes, step 2. rewatch game and say that again

[youtube]IIrqtOa_PAE[/youtube]

What this video that to my point?
It shows all Messi's OFF-ball movements?

And it's not strange for me,after having those club games plus copa ones.

Last edited:

dakt

LOL. You are funny.

Why? He's entitled to his opinion. It's not like Maradona was crap.
Personally, I was too young back then, but as far as I'm aware, Messi is the best I have ever witnessed.
When I ask my dad about it, he also says Messi is better.

ebc_99

actually i changed my mind. he isn't as good as maradona. maradona would have taken charge in a game like this and dragged his team. not sulk and walk because he doesn't get first class barcelona service and team structure.

people are whining at his teammmates and fair enough but messi should have shown more initiative in this particular game. he was getting kicked alot but maradona got kicked even worse every single match in his career and fouls were not given.

Why didn't Maradona take charge when he was playing in the Copa America then, or in the European cup when Napoli get knocked out by Spartak Moscow and Real Madrid.

Maradona won 3 league titles and a World cup in his career and a few other minor trophies as well as a UEFA cup. Overall it doesn't compare with what Messi has achieved.

Messi has played in 4 finals for Argentina, 2 Copa, 1 World Cup and the Olympics. That is not a failure by any means, just the small details are missing but that has more to do with his teammate not stepping up to support him than anything lacking on Messi's side.

The Champions League is the pinnacle of football and he is head and shoulders above everybody else.

Jombi

Why? He's entitled to his opinion. It's not like Maradona was crap.
Personally, I was too young back then, but as far as I'm aware, Messi is the best I have ever witnessed.
When I ask my dad about it, he also says Messi is better.

But he doesnt bring facts to the table. The fact is that Maradona never won a Copa America. Yet, the poster keep going on about how this mythological Maradona who could do no wrong would rise to the occasion every single time and get fouled all the time but still be completely unfazed. Its just a fantasy. But I think this fantasy is a result of disappointment that Messi has led his team to two finals in the space of a year, being soooo close, and I can understand that disappointment among fans. We all want him to win all the time.

jj_101

Messi MAY be a better player overall, but when they put the Argentina shirt on there is no comparison. You could see the joy and passion that Maradona had when he put that jersey on, for Messi it's almost a burden.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
actually i changed my mind. he isn't as good as maradona. maradona would have taken charge in a game like this and dragged his team. not sulk and walk because he doesn't get first class barcelona service and team structure.

people are whining at his teammmates and fair enough but messi should have shown more initiative in this particular game. he was getting kicked alot but maradona got kicked even worse every single match in his career and fouls were not given.

That myth makes its appearance in practically all Argentina-Messi conversations. Maradona obviously had a better international career than Messi but that doesn't mean he was unstoppable under any circumstances. His Argentina placed 4th in the 87 Copa America and the best player in that tournament was Valderrama. Where was Maradona's supposed routine 1v11 demolition then?

The 'kicking' thing is also overstated in old football, makes it seem like there were leg-breaking incidents every half hour or so. Messi gets kicked PLENTY of times, if you didn't happen to see Medel's roundhouse imitation yesterday. The only difference is that he probably gets a couple of more fouls called in his favor, of which the end result means nothing as in both cases the play is disrupted and the players are stopped from creating danger.

What never gets mentioned is how that era of football had extremely static defensive tactics. There was no real bus-parking or intense high pressing where space was barely afforded and players were getting harassed by 2 or more men in whatever position they were in. Nowadays defensive play is a matter of the entire team shape compressing or shifting to limit space for the opponents and attackers have to play a big role in the pressing play.

Individually speaking, Messi isn't at the same level for Argentina as for Barca and that is clear. However don't try to negate the very clear struggles his team imposes on him while falsely claiming that Maradona could do absolutely anything despite any obstacle.

Neeraj

I remember venting out when Tata had been hired as coach. I was gutted for Messi, and felt his chances for a trophy were heavily dented. Funnily enough, I was lambasted by a whole bunch of people on the forum, saying I don't have a clue about Martino/football/Argentina, etc. :lol: I could go back and quote, but I'd rather not. Point remains - this guy is not a good coach. Period.

As for Argentina, it's embarrassing how they couldn't put 2 passes together, I mean really, how can top level players have such poor passing? And their "whatever happens let's not pass to Messi tactic", I don't even....

You have to admit it's a real eye sore watching this Argentina - they both suck AND are boring to watch. The fact that Messi belongs to them just makes it hurt.

I thought Sanchez had a great game though. Very involved, dangerous, made things happen. Good for him and Bravo.

BarcaGirl

Thank god Messi refused the 'Player of the Tournament' Award. It would have made such unnecessary fuss, like after the WC last year.

xavi_the_Boss

Hmm besides the 1986 WC what else makes you think that?

serghei

That myth makes its appearance in practically all Argentina-Messi conversations. Maradona obviously had a better international career than Messi but that doesn't mean he was unstoppable under any circumstances. His Argentina placed 4th in the 87 Copa America and the best player in that tournament was Valderrama. Where was Maradona's supposed routine 1v11 demolition then?

The 'kicking' thing is also overstated in old football, makes it seem like there were leg-breaking incidents every half hour or so. Messi gets kicked PLENTY of times, if you didn't happen to see Medel's roundhouse imitation yesterday. The only difference is that he probably gets a couple of more fouls called in his favor, of which the end result means nothing as in both cases the play is disrupted and the players are stopped from creating danger.

What never gets mentioned is how that era of football had extremely static defensive tactics. There was no real bus-parking or intense high pressing where space was barely afforded and players were getting harassed by 2 or more men in whatever position they were in. Nowadays defensive play is a matter of the entire team shape compressing or shifting to limit space for the opponents and attackers have to play a big role in the pressing play.

Individually speaking, Messi isn't at the same level for Argentina as for Barca and that is clear. However don't try to negate the very clear struggles his team imposes on him while falsely claiming that Maradona could do absolutely anything despite any obstacle.

Excellent post.

raki

Thank god Messi refused the 'Player of the Tournament' Award. It would have made such unnecessary fuss, like after the WC last year.

It´s outrageous the envy that Messi gets. Stupid fucks. I´m glad he refused it. He should tell argentineans to go fuck themselves. Ungrateful bastards.

This award is the next. The haters can already suck it.

give-get-design-1-26920-0-600px.jpg

raki

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans