10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPepper

well, ok you can't judge a team base on just one match. Germany had a poor game with Algeria, but a great World Cup. Chile's Copa wasn't that good really, was it?

Their group stage performances were phenomenal and they managed to go through against Uruguay and Peru both playing very defensively and without having to rely on penalties. How was Germany great and Chile not? The 7-1 against Brazil was a freak incident and other than that they were not at all that great. They won the World Cup despite their clueless manager; that's their biggest achivement in that tournament.

I blame Argentina's loss much more on Higuain, Lavezzi's crap pass and Di Maria's chicken run than on Martino. Tbh I didn't find Sabella's Argentina that good either (or even better) like some here claim. Both matches against Holland and Belgium were absolute borefests and they got lucky against Switzerland as well. Additionally they struggled in the group stage as well. The only time they were better than the opposition was ironically the World Cup final.

dakt

But seriously, he has huge problems with stamina. Like someone said, his off ball movement is minimal and in the matches like these, you just have to put much more effort.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
But seriously, he has huge problems with stamina. Like someone said, his off ball movement is minimal and in the matches like these, you just have to put much more effort.

what effort? Messi can't do shit when he is completely isolated and bypassed. Should be keep doing laps of the flanks so that people can be happy with his workrate? Seriously you guys just...... ugh

AnnieSureshot

Their group stage performances were phenomenal and they managed to go through against Uruguay and Peru both playing very defensively and without having to rely on penalties. How was Germany great and Chile not? The 7-1 against Brazil was a freak incident and other than that they were not at all that great. They won the World Cup despite their clueless manager; that's their biggest achivement in that tournament.

I blame Argentina's loss much more on Higuain, Lavezzi's crap pass and Di Maria's chicken run than on Martino. Tbh I didn't find Sabella's Argentina that good either (or even better) like some here claim. Both matches against Holland and Belgium were absolute borefests and they got lucky against Switzerland as well. Additionally they struggled in the group stage as well. The only time they were better than the opposition was ironically the World Cup final.

Bolivia, Equador and Mexico B are not the best teams around, so the group was pretty easy. The problems started with Uruguay (without their star player). It was a total circus and Uruguay was down to 10 men at some point. Same with the Peru game - down to 10 men. Chile played more dirty rather than skilfully. The whole Copa was a bit of a mess IMO and they only managed through "by hook or by crook". (Or by fingering Cavani)
The last World Cup had a better standard, and Germany won it in far better style.
Argentina has plenty of talent and is underachieving right now. The "people don't pass to Messi or whoever" problem should have been sorted by the manager. If he can't see the problems or is not able to sort them out with the players it means that he's lacking as a coach. What makes me more sure of that is his handling of Barcelona last year.

dakt

what effort? Messi can't do shit when he is completely isolated and bypassed. Should be keep doing laps of the flanks so that people can be happy with his workrate? Seriously you guys just...... ugh

I didn't say that alone would help Argentina win the match.

Antimadridista1

Gutted for Leo and Javier, really. Shit team and shit coach.
The former is still the best ever, and I'm pretty sure that he'll win Copa America next year.

Chile deserved it though. Congrats to Bravo.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Reading that his family were being insulted and when the Chilean fans started to throw stuff at them, hitting Messi's brother, they had to flee the stadium and watch the 2nd half on TV. Chilean scum :angry:

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Why doesnt cholo simeone direct argentina.

Never the less this copa America was a joke. The amount of times Messi got hacked down yesterday. It was ugly tournament from start to finish.

Mitchell1978

I don't think it's about playing direct and I don't think it's just Martino's fault. I think it's about having too many individualistic players who think they can make the difference on their own.

players like Di Maria and Roja also seems quite 'dumb' (poor decision making, poor football iq), like the play Di Maria got injured, it was a stupid run, at some point he could have played it at Messi instead of going in alone

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
players like Di Maria and Roja also seems quite 'dumb' (poor decision making, poor football iq), like the play Di Maria got injured, it was a stupid run, at some point he could have played it at Messi instead of going in alone
Indeed. They still sorely missed someone other than Messi who could run at defenders.

cris29

Apparently he didn't get a pass for roughly 15mins in the second half. 45min-60min.

I think Argentina need to move on and bring younger attacking players into the side, the current ones have been useless when it mattered most. Can someone answer why Gaitan is never selected for the squad?

Last edited:
F

Flavia

One thing I don't understand, is that why does Messi strictly has to follow what a coach says? Now I know Messi is a good lad, but he has to tell Tata that he has to be more involved.

I know this might be a far fetched example, but in basketball, great players like Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron many times don't follow the coaches play and go with what they think is the best.

Isn't Messi a great enough player where Tata can trust him to do what MESSI THINKS is the best for the team? Just something I thought about it. Is it more due to Messi's personality or is he simply clueless when he's alongside a bad coach like Tata?

Also, I'm very aware that basketball and footy are two completely different sports. It's just something that I always wondered never happens with Messi (him taking command of a match when things don't go his teams way).

I don't know. But I lost count of the times Messi asked for the ball yesterday, and was ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans