10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarcaGirl

Argentina newspaper 'Ole' is hitting really bad at Messi ...saying he doesn't deserve the captain armband.

He should just retire from the NT. Seriously, fuck Argentina ...they don't deserve him anyway :angry:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Nobody on here is taking potshots, we just didn't like his lethargic performance. From outside of here sure, there are plenty who have digs at him, purely because they hate him. Not sure why.

alittlebitter

Brazil won the 62 WC without Pele. It's pretty clear that Brazil was just a beast during that era. Maradona's biggest legacy is an illegal goal. People bring up the fact that he scored that other goal afterwards, but there's a huge difference between scoring at 0-0 vs 1-0. And then we have the final where his teammates scored instead of him. Put Messi into either of those two situations and people would still be able to find faults in him. People just love to romanticize the past. It happens in all facets of life.

Although the most laughable thing I've read the past few days are Real Madrid fans who are using this opportunity to big up Ronaldo's accomplishments with Portugal. "Messi can't even win a tournament with a great Argentina team, whereas Ronaldo carries a shitty Portugal team". Ok, but Ronaldo plays with great players on the club level, and they just went trophy-less this season. They should know better than anyone else that having a team of great players does not win you trophies.

Argentina newspaper 'Ole' is hitting really bad at Messi ...saying he doesn't deserve the captain armband.

He should just retire from the NT. Seriously, fuck Argentina ...they don't deserve him anyway :angry:

since messi became captain in 2012, Argentina has made it to two consecutive finals, including their first WC final since 1990. he has CLEARLY led them to failure. fuck argentina tbh.

Last edited:

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Just two things I wanted to say:

(1) Messi is not God, he is human like the rest of us therefore like everyone else, he is not perfect and he is susceptible to flaws, faults and criticism. There is nothing unnatural about it.

Yes you can talk about the coach, his teammates etc., but the fact of the matter is, compared to his extremely high standard and bar he set for himself (that we are so lucky to witness again in the 14/15 season, for example), he was relatively underwhelming in both the WC and the Copa America Final, and he couldn't do anything to take matters into his own hands to change the outcome of the game.

Could he have done better? No doubts in my opinion. Perhaps he was too exhausted or something, but for me he was simply not "excited" enough, for some reason. This is actually a phenomenon that perplexes many of us Barca and Messi fans: One game he seems to be switched one and another game he seems to be switched off, and sometimes you'd think the final, the most important game there is, would trigger him to "switch on", but as we have seen that he just didn't, sometimes.

(2) OK he failed to get the WC and the Copa America. OK he might never win anything big with Argentina. So what? I get those who rate Pele and Maradona higher than Messi, I respect their opinion. But if the rationale behind such a preference/rating is solely based on that the former had better international careers than Messi did, then I must ask, so what? Since when have trophies with the national team become such DEFINING and predominant factor when it comes to evaluating a player's accomplishment and legacy? As Sid Lowe nicely put it "If Higuain takes those two chances one year apart, is Messi the best player of all time?". Why is Messi considered a worse player because of those two missed chances by Higuain, for example? Why should Messi's standing among other footballers be drastically changed by that one goal or two, or the lack thereof? Are we THAT superficial? Why do people value winning 7 games every four years higher than playing at the top level CONSISTENTLY for many years?

Once again, so Messi never wins anything big with Argentina. So what?? It is absolutely disgusting to see so many of his critics and haters coming out in droves celebrating the loss and taking shots at Messi and his legacy, as if all of sudden Messi became a much worse player than barely several days ago. Absurd.

Well to be fair Messi had 1 goal from 27 shots,and it was from a penalty. Di Maria ,Higuain and Aguero had 6 goals together from 28 shots combined. It's kinda stupid that everybody here is blaming everybody but Messi.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Well to be fair Messi had 1 goal from 27 shots,and it was from a penalty. Di Maria ,Higuain and Aguero had 6 goals together from 28 shots combined. It's kinda stupid that everybody here is blaming everybody but Messi.

Are you going to continue with this foolish argument? Nevermind you're stats are also wrong though.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around

Messi had 8 shots on target, same as Aguero, for instance. He took a lot of desperate shots outside the box which were blocked etc. Very misleading with the 27 shots you keep going on with, IMO. Also funny how your Madridistas become so active in this thread after a Messi letdown.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Messi had 8 shots on target, same as Aguero, for instance. He took a lot of desperate shots outside the box which were blocked etc. Very misleading with the 27 shots you keep going on with, IMO. Also funny how your Madridistas become so active in this thread after a Messi letdown.

It's not like I hate Messi, I think he's the best and I enjoy watching him but it's just ridiculous that he's never blamed,it's always the team.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Messi should have played for spain. Argies don't appreciate him.

Messi/Cristiano rivarly wouldn't exist if Messi indeed played for Spain. He would have countless international trophies and Spanish fans would appreciate him much more. Plenty of spanish people would like him more than Ronaldo for that reason.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
It's not like I hate Messi, I think he's the best and I enjoy watching him but it's just ridiculous that he's never blamed,it's always the team.

What's ridiculous is to demand and criticize the player who is playing the best and doing the most for a team full of other underachieving stars.

Who deserves more blame, the one playing the best and doing the most, or those underachieving and fucking up? Simple logic.

Darko

Are you going to continue with this foolish argument? Nevermind you're stats are also wrong though.

Why is it foolish?
Did Messi not miss chances throughout the tournament and was he not below par in the final?
He is the best player ever, but come on, a little objectivity wouldn't hurt this forum.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
What's ridiculous is to demand and criticize the player who is playing the best and doing the most for a team full of other underachieving stars.

Who deserves more blame, the one playing the best and doing the most, or those underachieving and fucking up? Simple logic.

They all deserve blame. Messi was their best player but he could have done more, was below his normal level.

Morten

Brazil won the 62 WC without Pele. It's pretty clear that Brazil was just a beast during that era. Maradona's biggest legacy is an illegal goal. People bring up the fact that he scored that other goal afterwards, but there's a huge difference between scoring at 0-0 vs 1-0. And then we have the final where his teammates scored instead of him. Put Messi into either of those two situations and people would still be able to find faults in him. People just love to romanticize the past. It happens in all facets of life.

Although the most laughable thing I've read the past few days are Real Madrid fans who are using this opportunity to big up Ronaldo's accomplishments with Portugal. "Messi can't even win a tournament with a great Argentina team, whereas Ronaldo carries a shitty Portugal team". Ok, but Ronaldo plays with great players on the club level, and they just went trophy-less this season. They should know better than anyone else that having a team of great players does not win you trophies.

since messi became captain in 2012, Argentina has made it to two consecutive finals, including their first WC final since 1990. he has CLEARLY led them to failure. fuck argentina tbh.

Yet everyone here gave Ronaldo all the blame when Real didnt win anything. I agree that he could have done more, but there are 10 other players on the field, why is Ronaldo more guilty than any of them? What if Bale wasnt a donkey, or if Ramos wasnt somewhat of a retard in a few matches? Messi was dissapointing in the final, though he had some good passes and all, but the blame isnt only his.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Why is it foolish?
Did Messi not miss chances throughout the tournament and was he not below par in the final?
He is the best player ever, but come on, a little objectivity wouldn't hurt this forum.

That shots argument is an incredibly foolish stats to use as argument against Messi. No context with it and it's just a plain lazy stats to throw around in order to criticize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans