10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
They all deserve blame. Messi was their best player but he could have done more, was below his normal level.

You continue to say he could have done more, but Argentina did not play well in the tournament, played specially awful in the final, key players AGAIN under-performed and failed, and Tata Martino was exposed once more as tactically inept.

To expect Messi to do more, to excel and play at his bests for every game, something he doesn't do even at Barca, it just strikes me as very unrealistic and unfair.

Icarium

Lifestealer
He should be blamed like every one else but it was an impossible task to begin with. You cant say he didn't try, he put lot of effort for Argentina this Copa and last year world cup. Too bad the team is not structured to get the best out of him. Anyway do you see anyone blaming Romero or masch or otamendi? I think those players gave their all and everyone recognizes that and feel sad for them. Why cant they do the same with messi? Messi is the one who gets blamed most even though he gave his all and one of the better performers of the tournament. People should feel sad for him not scrutinize him for every final his team loses.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't mind what [MENTION=2258]Hamzah[/MENTION] says. He himself is confused right now. Changing his opinions every second minute.

Morten

Its nothing new, the biggest star/best player for a team always get more blame when thing doesnt go well. They also get praised more than anyone else when they win. Been that way for ages. It may or may not be right, but thats just how the world works.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Mascherano and otamendi played at their max level over the last two tournaments and you can't fault them. You judge a players contribution based on his level and talent. Those guys fulfilled that.

Messi's level is obviously very high, so anything below that is a disappointment. It's the same for every top player. Of course the biggest to blame are the other "superstars" like Aguero who were nowhere to be seen.

Morten

One thing, there is copa america again next year? What, is it played every year or something? Well, these south americans surely gets many opportunities to win something, europeans only have a shot at something every second year.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Don't mind what [MENTION=2258]Hamzah[/MENTION] says. He himself is confused right now. Changing his opinions every second minute.

Not really. I changed my opinion on the GOAT from messi to maradona. The backtrack after that was obvious sarcasm and a response to the wrath of the forum.

xavi_the_Boss

Mascherano and otamendi played at their max level over the last two tournaments and you can't fault them. You judge a players contribution based on his level and talent. Those guys fulfilled that.

Messi's level is obviously very high, so anything below that is a disappointment. It's the same for every top player. Of course the biggest to blame are the other "superstars" like Aguero who were nowhere to be seen.

What else should Aguero have done though?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well to be fair Messi had 1 goal from 27 shots,and it was from a penalty. Di Maria ,Higuain and Aguero had 6 goals together from 28 shots combined. It's kinda stupid that everybody here is blaming everybody but Messi.

I agree it is silly to always shift the blame to others, it is equally silly to fault him because this shots taken/goal ratio. Why does it matter anyway? For Messi, his game is far beyond scoring goals, as we saw in the game against Paraguay.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

That's your problem right there. You judge player's contributions based on..... their actual contributions, not some magical bar you have set for them in your mind. To expect Messi to play as well and as consistent with Argentina as he does with Barca, where he does not have neither the players, nor the system to allow it, is beyond unreasonable.

You cannot hold Messi for Argentina to the same standards of Messi for Barcelona simply because you cannot hold Argentina to the same standards as Barcelona.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It's not like I hate Messi, I think he's the best and I enjoy watching him but it's just ridiculous that he's never blamed,it's always the team.

Players, especially attacking players and forwards take shots all the time. Most shots are blocked, saved, or simply just went wayward. You can't blame someone for having a low conversion rate based on stat because the stat itself doesn't prove anything. Was he being wasteful? Was he being unlucky? The stats here are meaningless.

Like I said, Messi certainly can be and should be faulted for whatever he was not able to do. But shots/goal ratio? Come on. Come up with something better.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Messi was obviously below par in the final, but his teammates were even worse. He could've done more to set himself free from his markers by changing his game (making more final runs rather than trying to get the ball to feet). But that doesn't negate the awful awful manner in which Argentina were playing and attacking. The defenders (and even Masche and Biglia) were always trying to clear every ball and try the stupidest of passes. Nobody was trying to link with Messi. The problem is Messi never changes his game, you can fault him for it but maybe the team agreed that this is how Messi should play and he stuck to that role without fail.

Being the player he is and the stature he has, imo Messi should try and do his own thing when he feels that the situation requires it and things are not going his team's way. He doesn't need to always stick to the coach's plan.

My evaluation of him doesn't change, he's still the best player I've seen and I think he is also better than Maradona but others who have watched him may disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans