10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

You're welcome
Well that would be an argument for Ronaldo being the more popular player in any country not just the UK and I dont think that is the case.

True, but no youth lives the BPL as UK youth lol.
Anyway...I think it's different from country to country where a lot of different factors come into play. For example maybe the superstar image is socially more acceptable in some countries(UK) compared to other countries so Ronaldo would have an easier time garnering popularity there compared to country x.
I can understand for example how spanish-speaking countries would relate to and prefer Messi more easily.

I'd say here in the Netherlands the popularity is still divided close to 50/50 among youngsters. But I notice the older the crowd the more general the consensus that Messi is the better player.

F

Flavia

I understand, but is the player supposed to reject taking part in this because he doesn't agree with the politics or because he's too important for his club to be taking part in these unimportant friendly matches? Surely you understand that players can't do that. Besides, it's usual for NTs to have friendlies before official matches because they lack match rhythm. I'm not saying the FAs are not corrupt, but they do need to raise money, and the matches themselves do have a purpose for the team, however insignificant it must seem in comparison to the dirty money the FAs get from it. Besides, regardless of the corruption and ulterior motives, if the matches are scheduled, the players will surely take part. That's just the way it goes and it will continue to be so. I don't see any sense in complaining about that or anything related to that. They're going to travel, they're going to get tired, and they're going to be at risk of getting injured just like in any other game, regardless of it being a friendly or a qualifier.

I wonder where did I, or anyone else, said any of all that you're pointing out? I'm just glad Messi and Masch won't play both friendlies, as there is a tough schedule coming on, and those friendlies are completely meaningless.
Also, friendlies could easily be played in Europe, if the fa's cared more for the players' health, than money.

Horatio

You're welcome
I wonder where did I, or anyone else, said any of all that you're pointing out? I'm just glad Messi and Masch won't play both friendlies, as there is a tough schedule coming on, and those friendlies are completely meaningless.
Also, friendlies could easily be played in Europe, if the fa's cared more for the players' health, than money.

In his defense: friendlies are beneficial for developing the team performance in ways.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
[MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] Aspas, did you go to a training, and met Messi?

It was completely heartbreaking to see pics/videos/stories of Messi in my city, in training pitches that I'm familiar with, and not be able to see him. I have a few friends that play for the youth Dynamo (Houston MLS team) that met him.

I'm probably going to the match tomorrow but it's still just depressing that I didn't get to take an opportunity like this (never would've thought Messi would ever be in Houston).

silvia

Really I thought Ronaldo was more popular, especially with youth, women and muslims, of whom most dislike Messi despite considering him to be better.

Every women prefer messi, even my mom who doesn't watch club matches loves him, sure of that.
Tbh, ronaldo is becoming more farce. His image was not like that but last year at some point...

raskolnikov

What the fuck

Why would Muslims dislike Messi? First time I've heard it. Never seen anything like it either. Don't see any particular preference towards Cristiano among youth and women either. Infact many girls I know find Cristiano to be plastic.

If anything then Arsenal for some reason got more such fans. It's like they spawn everywhere.

There is some weird myth going on where Ronaldo donates blood to poor Palestinian kids which is why he wont get tattoo's and cause he dissed an Israeli player once while Messi is seen as a zionist Netanyahu friend.
I know its complete bs but its how a lot of them see it. For example my neighborhood is 70/80% muslim and there are Madrid tracksuits with copied cr7 haircuts everywhere. Several friends of mine also fee this way for this reason. Psg and Zlatan are also very popular by the way.
I also feel cr7 is easier to imitate than Messi, both on and of the pitch, plus they done one hell of a job on his pr campaign as the most hard working person in football.

Holly

True, but no youth lives the BPL as UK youth lol.
Anyway...I think it's different from country to country where a lot of different factors come into play. For example maybe the superstar image is socially more acceptable in some countries(UK) compared to other countries so Ronaldo would have an easier time garnering popularity there compared to country x.
I can understand for example how spanish-speaking countries would relate to and prefer Messi more easily.

I'd say here in the Netherlands the popularity is still divided close to 50/50 among youngsters. But I notice the older the crowd the more general the consensus that Messi is the better player.

I don't think youth out here in the Netherlands are 50/50 split. I visited the Efteling (amusementpark) 2 weeks ago and I saw at least 30 boys/girls wearing a Messi shirt (stopped counting after that) and NONE wearing a Ronaldo shirt.....

But hey that could have been coincidence.

Being a woman I think Ronaldo is way too plastic and way too full of himself...Messi is a cutey....

klc123

I don't think youth out here in the Netherlands are 50/50 split. I visited the Efteling (amusementpark) 2 weeks ago and I saw at least 30 boys/girls wearing a Messi shirt (stopped counting after that) and NONE wearing a Ronaldo shirt.....

But hey that could have been coincidence.

Being a woman I think Ronaldo is way too plastic and way too full of himself...Messi is a cutey....

Problem with judging by shirts is that at the moment, I would say far more young people support Barcelona than Real Madrid, outside of Spanish speaking countries anyway. So those kids are more inclined to have a Messi shirt than a Ronaldo shirt.

I think the vast majority of older people think Messi is the best for the simple reason of attitude. Ronaldo is a superb footballer, but it is obvious he is driven much more by individual success whereas Messi is driven much more by his teams success. Messi might complain when something is stopping the team from winning, Ronaldo will complain when something is stopping him from scoring.

NotInHere

Problem with judging by shirts is that at the moment, I would say far more young people support Barcelona than Real Madrid, outside of Spanish speaking countries anyway. So those kids are more inclined to have a Messi shirt than a Ronaldo shirt.

I think the vast majority of older people think Messi is the best for the simple reason of attitude. Ronaldo is a superb footballer, but it is obvious he is driven much more by individual success whereas Messi is driven much more by his teams success. Messi might complain when something is stopping the team from winning, Ronaldo will complain when something is stopping him from scoring.
you forgot to say Messi is simply the better footballer :b

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't know about other countries, but there's a shitloads of Man Utd, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Arsenal fans here. Not many Barca fans. I personally don't know many Barca fans either, most of my friends are Madridistas and Man Utd fans..... which I don't mind though as we keep beating them :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans