10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

I had never encountered such hostility towards NTs until I joined this forum. I get it, players get tired, injured etc., but playing for one's NT is a top priority for any intelligent and self-respecting professional football player. That's just the way it is. No point in arguing about it, ever. Especially with Messi, who's constantly criticized for his NT performances. He's in a situation where he can never ever afford to show anything other than complete devotion to the NT. If people would just finally accept that NT involvement is a valid task, and not some extra-curricular nuisance that players are forced to be part of, maybe they would stop bitching about banal concepts that in everyday life you'd acknowledge and forget about in a split second, and never waste another thought on, like travelling.

That's a very romantic way to see things. But those friendlies have the sole purpose of corrupt fa's getting money for themselves, nothing else. It's not the wc qualifyers. I think NT football and involvement is fine. But after you realize what entities like afa and cbf are all about, that view changes a bit. They make players travel a lot for money. I really can't respect that.

raskolnikov

Most people in UK prefer Messi definitely.

Ronaldo may have played for the biggest team in UK but they are also the most disliked in general.

Really I thought Ronaldo was more popular, especially with youth, women and muslims, of whom most dislike Messi despite considering him to be better.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Really I thought Ronaldo was more popular, especially with youth, women and muslims, of whom most dislike Messi despite considering him to be better.

What the fuck

Why would Muslims dislike Messi? First time I've heard it. Never seen anything like it either. Don't see any particular preference towards Cristiano among youth and women either. Infact many girls I know find Cristiano to be plastic.

If anything then Arsenal for some reason got more such fans. It's like they spawn everywhere.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Guess depends on your meaning of popular. Number of people known to or preferred player?

Popular as in the player people in UK like more and in terms of ability.

I would say it is not even close Messi is much more popular on both fronts in the UK.

Horatio

You're welcome
Popular as in the player people in UK like more and in terms of ability.

I would say it is not even close Messi is much more popular on both fronts in the UK.

But isn't that largely because of a biased opinion by non-Manchester United supporters?

I would imagine that a lot of youngsters in the UK idolize Ronaldo over Messi, because Ronaldo's style might look more suited in the EPL, easier to work towards to and emulate than Messi's.

Last edited:

Stric

That's a very romantic way to see things. But those friendlies have the sole purpose of corrupt fa's getting money for themselves, nothing else. It's not the wc qualifyers. I think NT football and involvement is fine. But after you realize what entities like afa and cbf are all about, that view changes a bit. They make players travel a lot for money. I really can't respect that.

I understand, but is the player supposed to reject taking part in this because he doesn't agree with the politics or because he's too important for his club to be taking part in these unimportant friendly matches? Surely you understand that players can't do that. Besides, it's usual for NTs to have friendlies before official matches because they lack match rhythm. I'm not saying the FAs are not corrupt, but they do need to raise money, and the matches themselves do have a purpose for the team, however insignificant it must seem in comparison to the dirty money the FAs get from it. Besides, regardless of the corruption and ulterior motives, if the matches are scheduled, the players will surely take part. That's just the way it goes and it will continue to be so. I don't see any sense in complaining about that or anything related to that. They're going to travel, they're going to get tired, and they're going to be at risk of getting injured just like in any other game, regardless of it being a friendly or a qualifier.

JamDav1982

But isn't that largely because of a biased opinion by non-Manchester United supporters?

I would imagine that a lot of youngsters in the UK idolize Ronaldo over Messi, because Ronaldo's style might look more suited in the EPL.

People dont tend to look like that, they just prefer the better player and the more exciting one is clearly Messi.

If you were to get a true opinion from EPL fans who would they rather sign Messi/Ronaldo I would say at least 90% would say Messi so they dont really think Ronaldo is more EPL suited.

Horatio

You're welcome
People dont tend to look like that, they just prefer the better player and the more exciting one is clearly Messi.

If you were to get a true opinion from EPL fans who would they rather sign Messi/Ronaldo I would say at least 90% would say Messi so they dont really think Ronaldo is more EPL suited.

Why I mentioned the suitability I kind of elaborated on through an appendum to my post:
For young football fans Ronaldo is an easier inspiration because you can work more easily towards his style based on speed and power(wether you'll perform on his level is a different story) while hoping and aspiring for a professional football career.

JamDav1982

Why I mentioned the suitability I kind of elaborated on through an appendum to my post:
For young football fans Ronaldo is an easier inspiration because you can work more easily towards his style based on speed and power(wether you'll perform on his level is a different story) while hoping and aspiring for a professional football career.

Well that would be an argument for Ronaldo being the more popular player in any country not just the UK and I dont think that is the case.

You could just as easily say people see Messi as a humble quiet guy who they can relate to unlike the superstar/petulant Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans