10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalan Fan

Yes, like all these times when he missed an important penalty, oh wait, he only missed the one against chelsea.
While cristiano has missed plenty in semis/finals.

Well he's not got a great record has he ?

He gets nervous taking pens, the pressure sometimes gets to him.In open play he's just playing naturally/instinctively and doesn't have time to think about the situation.

Just my opinion like.

EDIT; Just to expand on that, many left footed/handed sportsmen are instinctive and don't need to actually think about what they are doing, it just comes naturally to them.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If Messi is not good at taking penalties then he shouldn't be taking him. I don't care if Ronaldo wins the Pichichi for the rest of his career. Messi's goal count always comes second after the team result.

Barcilliant

If Messi is not good at taking penalties then he shouldn't be taking him. I don't care if Ronaldo wins the Pichichi for the rest of his career. Messi's goal count always comes second after the team result.

Right on the money.

This is ONE area where others may be better then him. Eg Neymar, Suarez and Rakitic.
Would be nice if Messi stepped aside himself from spot kick duties. He's simply missed too many.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Lel the overreaction is real, as always. Messi needs to get his penalty shit together, he has been shaky of late, but he's been quite above average penalty converter in his career and he sure as hell has earn the right to keep taking them. If he cannot fix his recent rut or he actually starts costing the team points/wins, that's another thing, but also keep in mind neither Neymar nor Suarez has shown any particular special skillset as a penalty taker, particularly Neymar who has missed his share in his limited sample size.

More to the point, as long as Messi wants to take them, he should take them. The decision must come from him.

Last edited:

Egert

Estonian Culé
Would like to see him at RW again vs Celta.

These missed pens are a joke, he seems a little nervous when taking them, he even haven't hit the target when he has missed this season, he needs to calm down and change his style a little.

Other than that a good game by him and let's move on :)

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
What I don't understand is why can't he just use power. Its not like he needs mad placement from the penalty spot. Just hit it so hard that the keeper is unable to react. His finesse penalties are very predictable

Ritchie

For all of you saying that RM/Ronaldo gets more penalties:
"Cristiano has scored the same number of penalties in 2015 as Messi (both 8) even though Messi has taken 3 more penalty kicks."

First few months of last season Cristiano was getting penalties every week. They just dried up a bit later in the season.

Let Suarez (today Raki) take the pens please. Apart from that he had a good game. 2 goals, 1 assist, nothing to complain about in such a game.

Suarez is terrible at pens. Missed every one at Liverpool.

Kuchi

I was a impressed with his 1st execution, actually telling myself that he practiced a new placement giving the keeper no chance. And than the second penalty came :)

The way he took the 2 pens is already a sign that he is working on this problem, as he went for power and height, both times. Practicing and doing that consistently may be on his list.

He is still the best option for penalties, if he's 100% physical (like last season) and fully focused. Imagine if we had a penalty at 2-0 vs. Bayern in last season's UCL semis. I think everyone would have unanimously picked Messi for the execution, because he was on fire.

Kerrybai

He's not bad at penalties. He has a ratio of 79%. Ronaldo is at 85%

Some others - Balotelli 92, Ibra 87, Vifal 87 , Rossi 87, Lampard 83, Gerard 82, Totti 81.

So as you can see Messi is not amazing but hes not bad either, his percentage moves up if we include penalties in shootouts.

As for people complaining about him walking... he walks to conserve energy. No need to over do it against Levante.

Neimax

I think this Messi in midfield behind our three attacker thing can be an interesting option in some games if we are behind. With Neymar, Suarez and a third good attacker (Aleix Vidal or any forward we might buy in winter) and Messi behind them, we could cause some big problems for teams who are in front and park the bus. But I think as a standard formation, it is too offensive and too unbalanced. Could be an interesting option in the future.

El Flaco

He's not bad at penalties. He has a ratio of 79%. Ronaldo is at 85%

Some others - Balotelli 92, Ibra 87, Vifal 87 , Rossi 87, Lampard 83, Gerard 82, Totti 81.

So as you can see Messi is not amazing but hes not bad either, his percentage moves up if we include penalties in shootouts.

As for people complaining about him walking... he walks to conserve energy. No need to over do it against Levante.

And how's the converstion rate for other Barca-players?

Just wondering because it's relevant when some people are claiming that someone else should be the 1st choice as a penalty taker for us...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans