10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybai

You misunderstood my questoion to [MENTION=10740]Kerrybai[/MENTION]. Since he used the converstion rate for the respective players carrier in general, I just wanna know how Neymar's converstion rate for Santos and Barcelona (if I use him as an example).

I don't have the figures, I'm sure they can be found somewhere. I do know that Suarez missed at least 2 for Liverpool and Neymar missed at least one for Barca and one for Brazil. Maybe Rakitic could be our penalty saviour? I would also like to see some stats regarding our other players.

In the end though Messi will continue to take them and rightly so considering the pressure kicks he has put away in the past.

Horatio

You're welcome
I don't have the figures, I'm sure they can be found somewhere. I do know that Suarez missed at least 2 for Liverpool and Neymar missed at least one for Barca and one for Brazil. Maybe Rakitic could be our penalty saviour? I would also like to see some stats regarding our other players.

In the end though Messi will continue to take them and rightly so considering the pressure kicks he has put away in the past.

I am also up for Messi taking the penalties. Luckily Barca is not that dependant on penalties. If our attack is in shape they will force their goals.

Morten

Really suprised he didnt pass it to Neymar, an easy pass and it would be 1v1, he usually would do that. The lack of pressure from the opponents were astounding, 4 players just kept backin up instead of going for a challenge. Sure, it might have caused a penalty, but if you let him walk that far, you might as well try to do something.
Also, astounded by Messis mediocre penalty-stats. In open play he is composed in front of goals, with pens its not the same feeling. Suarez/Neymar should be given chances i think, or anyone with a proven solid penalty conversion.

Morten

Also, Messi have/had the best conversion rate from shoots just outside the box by some distance i believe. He should really be the best fk taker in the world then, no? Instead he is just one of several.

El Flaco

Those 2 penalties you mentioned, was his only ever for Liverpool. We shouldn't forget the fact that Gerrard was LFC's 1st choice as penalty taker. Suarez also doesn't take them for Uruguay, his last penalty for them came in 2010. Forlan used to be the main penalty taker and now it's Cavani. However, Suarez took penalties for Ajax and was very clinical.

---

Here's a overview of all penalties Messi, Suarez, Rakitic and Neymar (players you mentioned) has taken in their respective career.

1st - Neymar with 86% converstion rate (19 successful penalties and 3 missed penalties)
2nd - Suarez with 80% converstion rate (24 successful penalties and 6 missed penalties)
3rd - Messi with 78% converstion rate (61 successful penalties and 17 missed penalties)
4th - Rakitic with 70% converstion rate (14 successful penalties and 6 missed penalties)

Kerrybai

Those 2 penalties you mentioned, was his only ever for Liverpool. We shouldn't forget the fact that Gerrard was LFC's 1st choice as penalty taker. Suarez also doesn't take them for Uruguay, his last penalty for them came in 2010. Forlan used to be the main penalty taker and now it's Cavani. However, Suarez took penalties for Ajax and was very clinical.

---

Here's a overview of all penalties Messi, Suarez, Rakitic and Neymar (players you mentioned) has taken in their respective career.

1st - Neymar with 86% converstion rate (19 successful penalties and 3 missed penalties)
2nd - Suarez with 80% converstion rate (24 successful penalties and 6 missed penalties)
3rd - Messi with 78% converstion rate (61 successful penalties and 17 missed penalties)
4th - Rakitic with 70% converstion rate (14 successful penalties and 6 missed penalties)

Ah I didn't realise Transfermarket had penalty statistics. Judging by those numbers Messi is our best bet, he is the only one with a large enough sample size.

El Flaco

Ah I didn't realise Transfermarket had penalty statistics.

I didn't know it either until I got the advice to check Transfermarkt from someone in order to find penalties.

Judging by those numbers Messi is our best bet, he is the only one with a large enough sample size.

And it's not due to the fact that Messi's been the unquestionable main penalty taker for many years in his carrier? Something you can't really say the same in Suarez's case and particularly Neymar. And the latter is 23-year-old while Messi is 28-year old, which's an another reason why Messi has such a sample size.

I'd like to see Neymar to be our 1st choice as penalty taker, although I don't believe it won't happen. Just like when Cristiano doesn't let someone else be the 1st choice as free kick taker...

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Really suprised he didnt pass it to Neymar, an easy pass and it would be 1v1, he usually would do that. The lack of pressure from the opponents were astounding, 4 players just kept backin up instead of going for a challenge. Sure, it might have caused a penalty, but if you let him walk that far, you might as well try to do something.
Also, astounded by Messis mediocre penalty-stats. In open play he is composed in front of goals, with pens its not the same feeling. Suarez/Neymar should be given chances i think, or anyone with a proven solid penalty conversion.

You could tell he was pissed because of the miss.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Does anybody notice that Messi looks so insecure when he steps up to take a penalty? Compare that to how Ronaldo looks when he steps up.

Suarez hasn't scored one fk with us and rakitic has also just scored once.So you saying that one free kick does not matter goes to both of them too.Neymar is on par with messi in fks.He has literally taken 3 or 4 and he scored twice.Not to mention he is amazing in fks at brazil.I don't have a problem with anyone thinking messi is better than ney at fk but ney is obviously very close to him and he deserves his chances.

I didnt mean that they were better,just that they deserve their chances at it too, Since a right footer should be taking it from the left side. It was a statement of agreement.

bismp

We call Ronaldo Penaldo,tap-in king,etc,but truth is that Messi failed to score a simple,bit extremely crucial tap-in today.The score would be 2-1 and we may have won the match...

Other than that,he showed some glimpses of magic,but he has a really big attitude problem!!!I am ok with him resting when we are ahead,but it is unacceptable to walk when we lose 3-0....

Horatio

You're welcome
We call Ronaldo Penaldo,tap-in king,etc,but truth is that Messi failed to score a simple,bit extremely crucial tap-in today.The score would be 2-1 and we may have won the match...

Other than that,he showed some glimpses of magic,but he has a really big attitude problem!!!I am ok with him resting when we are ahead,but it is unacceptable to walk when we lose 3-0....

With all due respect but Messi on an off-day is still better than Ronaldo on an off-day. Ronaldo simply disappears. Messi at least created chances and had an assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans