10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alarcón

His misses are the least worrying thing about tonight's game. What is much more off-putting is his lifeless performance, strolling around the pitch in Tata-fashion, not making any effort to position himself correctly and, most of all, that he's PLAYING IN THE MIDDLE AGAIN. Whose stupid idea was this??????????? It completely disrupts our playstyle. Suárez is much worse with Messi in the middle & Alves is shit again without their combinations.

Anyway, whoever said this is still the same Messi from a few months ago and that "he's always done this" needs to get their head checked. I have no doubt that he will get better again but let's not act like everything's fine and dandy - you're not doing him a favour.

Horatio

You're welcome
I completely agree with you,i said that he showed some glimpses of magic.He was decent offensively

What i am saying is that we Barca fans troll Ronaldo for scoring only penaldies and tap-ins.It is ironic,because messi is worse than him in that aspect

You are only saying that because you remember Messi's miss of todays match but don't remember Ronaldo's misses. Ronaldo doesn't convert every chance he gets. Today against Athletic he didn't either.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
His misses are the least worrying thing about tonight's game. What is much more off-putting is his lifeless performance, strolling around the pitch in Tata-fashion, not making any effort to position himself correctly and, most of all, that he's PLAYING IN THE MIDDLE AGAIN. Whose stupid idea was this??????????? It completely disrupts our playstyle. Suárez is much worse with Messi in the middle & Alves is shit again without their combinations.

Anyway, whoever said this is still the same Messi from a few months ago and that "he's always done this" needs to get their head checked. I have no doubt that he will get better again but let's not act like everything's fine and dandy - you're not doing him a favour.

I thought Lucho was going to correct Messi's position in the second half as it was clear he wasn't having a good day in the middle... Yet Lucho subbed in Munir and placed Messi even further back...

No denying Messi was lifeless today as you say, but the tactical position is all on Lucho...

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Sorry Alarcon, no offense, but this is a lot of overreacting. I don't quite understand the "life-less performance" narrative. He got the same in last game too. Is it about defensive work-rate? Because Messi has never shown much in that, and frankly Barca doesn't need him to. Anything he brings in that is a plus. They have him for offense and he is involved in that as much as ever, if albeit he has started not sharp at all for his standards. Today he had the second most touches behind Pique, most shots and gave a whooping 6 key passes. That's the very opposite of "life-less" He's not sharp though, that's for sure.

And the positioning is also an overreaction, with all due respect. Barca's struggles are not because of Messi's positioning and he's not playing all that differently than he has in the past with much better team success.

Here. Team positioning vs Juve in UCL final
XXGftmr.png

And vs Celta today.
xLkm2Sm.png

Honestly if Messi would have buried his best chance, and someone had buried one of his 6 key passes, narrative could have been different. His issue right now, like that of the team, is lack of sharpness in play. A lot of sloppiness going on in this Barca side.

Last edited:

Alarcón

No, it's not about his defensive workrate. It's about his positioning and his effort when we're in possession. If you think these things haven't changed from last season, fair enough, but I disagree.

And about these positional maps.... I can't stand them as they are used out of context all the time and don't show the whole truth, only "average" positioning, which means 2 games can be vastly different and still have similar positional maps. I have watched all matches this season and watched all matches last season and I cannot understand how one would come to the conclusion that Messi's positioning has not changed a lot.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
The criticism was worse and the performances weaker at the start of last season, difference back then was that Neymar stepped it up and won us some games before Messi turned to GOAT mode, plus the schedule wasn't nearly as difficult back then. Nothing to be worried about. Just the usual suspects with their knee-jerk reactions.

Also, it's not like Ronaldo, who you all like to compare him to, is doing any better. Scored a good couple of goals, yes, but only in two games.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
The criticism was worse and the performances weaker at the start of last season, difference back then was that Neymar stepped it up and won us some games before Messi turned to GOAT mode, plus the schedule wasn't nearly as difficult back then. Nothing to be worried about. Just the usual suspects with their knee-jerk reactions.

Honestly I have the same mentality. Barca lost games last season too. It seems they have trouble holding long winning sprees and need wake-up calls every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans