10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie Cal

Messi's knee felt good the day after the game against Madrid. The first test after having recovered from his knee injury went well. [cope]

Great to hear.

Would you lot start him against Roma? I know we all want to shout yes, but I'm a bit on the fence whether another half an hour might only might be best or not.

Kerrybai

Great to hear.

Would you lot start him against Roma? I know we all want to shout yes, but I'm a bit on the fence whether another half an hour might only might be best or not.

He has to start, it will take a while to get his fitness up to the level of his team mates. He needs to play every minute possible now.

J

Jamie Cal

He has to start, it will take a while to get his fitness up to the level of his team mates. He needs to play every minute possible now.

I still wouldn't go beyond an hour, but I imagine if he plays, he'll play the lot.

Also -- isn't it funny how his return completely lost his performance because of the scoreline? It should of been the moment of all moments, but we were THAT good that it was just a tidbit.

Co0ter

I doubt that action has anything remotely to do with him being out of form. It's not like he's lost his footballing brain while out injured. I know full well the moment you are referring to, and, without having seen the replay, I believe he was going for the less obvious pass, as the RM defenders were expecting the pass to Nerman. In the end it turned out to be the wrong decision, but that happens for everyone, and can hardly be attributed to form, or lack of it. That's just a means to fit your narrative, as I see it.

You're right that Messi didn't exactly fire on all cylinders, but what did you expect? The match was done and dusted, and there was absolutely no need for Messi to take any chances. He does, however, need minutes under his belt, and why not in a cameo on The Bernaleo, just to rub it in that extra bit?

That was no mistake from, Lucho.

People are very touchy here, including Thwix below. Sometimes I wonder if people start reading a paragraph, see something and fixate on it, and then fail to process everything else that was included in the paragraph.

You don't simply lose a footballing brain, that is common sense. The sharpness of it, actually, indeed is less "sharp" when you are out of the game for a long duration- footballers can attest to that, including myself. It isn't just physical ability that gets rusty, which is what I was pointing out. It's not a means to fit my narrative- twisting something around to suit my argument could do that, but what I said makes perfect sense and there is no extremist view in it either, so not sure what you are particularly blown away by.

We were up three nothing, we had a lead but there was plenty of game left to be played. The second Messi came on there was less pressure/pressing upfront and the dominance of the game suddenly lifted. I'm not saying we were awful, but things changed. Why risk giving up a goal or letting them back into the match. Messi not firing on all cylinders is EXACTLY what I expected, and it's exactly why I said he wasn't sharp to begin with. Also, why risk Messi vs a demoralized Real Madrid playing in their home stadium...?

Messi just came back from a KNEE injury, the type of injury that has plagued and ruined so many careers of great players before him. You put in the GOAT, after being sidelined for almost 2 months...from a knee injury, against Real Madrid as his first match back when we are three up? You say why not put him in? I say, why bother? There was nothing to gain by putting him in, only a lot to lose...and to me that is a poor decision. I rather side with common sense (like not risking Messi for no reason) than rub it in a little more. He JUST got healthy, and it is a knee injury after all.

Isco got frustrated and made a dirty tackle on Neymar, right on his knee...what if that was Messi? Was it worth it then...? You'd be singing a different tune, I think.

Thwix- No nerve involved really, I merely pointed out an in-form Messi may have made not only a better pass, but to the better option that was Neymar...which again, after watching the play is more likely than not very true. My gripe isn't with Messi, he isn't as sharp as he should be, and that is expected...but that was never really my point anyway, now was what? Try reading and understanding the whole paragraph this time, I know it might take some time, but it keeps you from typing drivel.

Last edited:

xXKonan

tumblr_nya81wxdek1uqdbpso1_540.jpg

Alik

Messi just came back from a KNEE injury, the type of injury that has plagued and ruined so many careers of great players before him. You put in the GOAT, after being sidelined for almost 2 months...from a knee injury, against Real Madrid as his first match back when we are three up? You say why not put him in? I say, why bother? There was nothing to gain by putting him in, only a lot to lose...and to me that is a poor decision. I rather side with common sense (like not risking Messi for no reason) than rub it in a little more. He JUST got healthy, and it is a knee injury after all.

Messi was given the green light. There was no risk in playing him. It was actually one of the best moments to play him, as we were leading by 3 goals and he could be eased in with no problems.

Stric

People need to understand that decisions on medical green lights are also made with regard to when and/or which the next game is. For example, if there were no games this week or the week before, because of an international break or whatever, maybe the medical staff wouldn't have given Messi the green light until the next Liga round or a few training session before. Does that mean he wouldn't have been "healthy" a few days earlier? Not necessarily. It just means that there'd be no need to clear him before it's necessary. And these types of circumstances only have bigger impact when the next game in question is a Clasico. Messi's recovery was a matter of weeks, even months, it's not a lucky coincidence that he was cleared just before a Clasico. At least not completely.

Horatio

You're welcome
Messi was given the green light. There was no risk in playing him. It was actually one of the best moments to play him, as we were leading by 3 goals and he could be eased in with no problems.

Green light doesn't mean a player is fit. Look at Ramos who still needs to get surgery.

F

Flavia

Green light doesn't mean a player is fit. Look at Ramos who still needs to get surgery.

Green light means a player is fit to play. It was reported Ramos would play with injections, and get his surgery after the clasico.

Stric

Green light means a player is fit to play. It was reported Ramos would play with injections, and get his surgery after the clasico.

Well if he needs surgery following the game, then he obviously isn't fit to play, but is allowed to play because of non-medical circumstances (high-value match, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans