10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

I was honestly surprised to see him and his girlfriend get so emotional over the prize. Never knew the prize could be that important to someone. Thought it was more of a novelty...

He plays in a small team, never had traveled to Europe. It was a big deal for him. He's being treated as a hero in his town now.

Kerrybai

I was honestly surprised to see him and his girlfriend get so emotional over the prize. Never knew the prize could be that important to someone. Thought it was more of a novelty...

Are you saying you wouldn't be incredibly happy and possibly emotional if you won the Puskas?

Horatio

You're welcome
Are you saying you wouldn't be incredibly happy and possibly emotional if you won the Puskas?

Incredibly happy yes. Possibly emotional? No.
But I have a bit more understanding for the situation because of what Flavia wrote.

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
It was a great goal, his award was far from undeserved and watching him get so happy how can you not appreciate it?

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
It was a great goal, his award was far from undeserved and watching him get so happy how can you not appreciate it?

Just because he's a nobody from Brazil doesn't mean we should be forced to feel happy for him. It was more of an award given to him by the Brazilian people who started campaigns and whatnot asking people to vote for him. I would like to see how many votes he got outside of Brazil. Whole award made into a joke by that public vote.

Horatio

You're welcome
for this player it will be probably the highlight of his career, so makes sense.

If you put it like that, it makes sense.

But the reason that I was surprised is because of the nature of the award.
Puskas award is more of an 'incidental' award, if that makes sense. You play football, you do your best and try to score goals like any other moment and depending on the situation and setup you are allowed to make goals that stand out from time to time. But it is not really an award that the players strive for and focus on winning I guess. If you are a bit lucky, you might happen to grab one.

I always looked at it as the kind of prize that is 'owh cool! Didn't expect this, but I will all too happily accept it'.
Instead of a prize that is really meaningful and impactful on your life.

Contrary to the Fifa Ballon D'or which is result and recognition of quality over a long period of time.

Also looking at the goal it was probably nominated because of its collective imput i.e. the awesome assist.
It doesn't take anything away from the amazing goal and I am glad he won it, but again surprised of emotional reaction.

Last edited:

Egert

Estonian Culé
Thanks to my friends from adidas Football for these special #Messi15 Platinum edition boots to commemorate the latest Ballon d'Or trophy! #BeTheDifference

- LIO

v664vp.jpg

SirXavi

The Engineer
If you put it like that, it makes sense.

But the reason that I was surprised is because of the nature of the award.
Puskas award is more of an 'incidental' award, if that makes sense. You play football, you do your best and try to score goals like any other moment and depending on the situation and setup you are allowed to make goals that stand out from time to time. But it is not really an award that the players strive for and focus on winning I guess. If you are a bit lucky, you might happen to grab one.

I always looked at it as the kind of prize that is 'owh cool! Didn't expect this, but I will all too happily accept it'.
Instead of a prize that is really meaningful and impactful on your life.

Contrary to the Fifa Ballon D'or which is result and recognition of quality over a long period of time.

Also looking at the goal it was probably nominated because of its collective imput i.e. the awesome assist.
It doesn't take anything away from the amazing goal and I am glad he won it, but again surprised of emotional reaction.

Maybe the feeling of someone like him being at an awards ceremony was already overwhelming in itself. The fact that he won anything probably put him on cloud nine. In any case I think it's a nice story and certain people should just chill and not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
When he returns to Argentina at age 34 it will be absolute chaos...,like the pope coming to town...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I thought Messi would finish his Career at Newell Old Boys
I somehow think people actually spitting on him and reminding of both the finals would have had some impact... He even said Barcelona is his home now, I think he never said so before! Grateful to Barcelona? He said! My home is Barcelona? I don't think so

He would probably still want to win something for Argentina probably more so to shut people's mouths and because World Cup is the highest achievement there is rather than because he has the emotional connection.... Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans