10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeloBarca

I actually liked the "untamed" Messi back in his younger days. That speed :)
Less goals but so entertaining to watch.

LMessin10

Hope we win today our 5th CL, and that Messi makes history again, i bet he will make a hattrick ;) it will be the Messi final.

BARÇAAAA!

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
If The team wins Tomorrow and Messi has another GOAT display then i will say this will be his best season.

From a maturity point of view, I completely agree...

I'm not looking down on his previous seasons, but we also had both Xavi and Iniesta bossing the game at that time so that certainly helped him, but now he's taking control of absolutely everything in our play... He dictates how we play and has taken the responsibility to carry the team on his shoulders making him more important than ever...

lessthanjake

Completely disagree, if there is any attribute he's ''less than great at'' it isin't his first touch. 95% of the time when I watch the type of pass he receives, I constantly think, ''wow, that is incredible.'' This is most applicable when he's on the wing with a defender or two near him, and Alves smashes a pass to his feet, and he either kills it immediately and is on the move, or first time passes it back and moves into space for the trademark 1-2 with Alves.

Leo's first touch is majestic.

I didn't say his first touch wasn't really good. I said I don't think he had amongst the best first touches in history. That's not at all an insult. I totally agree with you that he often displays really great first touch. He does what you described on the wing with Alves really often. As I said, he often beats people with a magic first touch. And if you count one-touch passing as part of first touch, then obviously Messi is amazing at that. But I have also seen numerous times where a bad touches messes up a potential scoring opportunity for him. He also sometimes clearly wants to start dribbling at someone immediately, but his first touch forces him to run backwards a bit first to fetch the ball, which makes it much harder to beat his defender. For me, this sort of stuff takes him a rung below the players with the best first touch ever. But again, saying his first touch is a rung below a few guys like Zidane, Bergkamp, Maradona, and Ronaldinho is not an insult to him. I'd still rank him amongst the very best in the world right now in this, just not amongst the very best of all time.

Faceless

No more faces at night
Got it from ESPN In El Tridente we trust!

i

lessthanjake

As for the top Messi season, I think it's really difficult. 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, and 2014-2015 were all so good. If I had to rank them, I suppose I'd say:

1. 2011-2012
2. 2014-2015
3. 2010-2011

And that's only because he got injured at the business end of 2012-2013. A great performance in the CL finals could possibly push 2014-2015 to the top.

EDIT: I also want to note that it's kind of crazy how good Messi's best years are. For instance, Messi easily ran away with the Ballon D'or in 2009 and Barcelona won a treble, and yet that season didn't really make it onto my radar screen. When a season where you were incredibly clearly the best player in the world is nowhere near your best season, you're pretty good haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans