10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
3 finals from Messi, 0 goals and poor performances. Maradona scored 5 goals in that 1986 WC and assisted another 5, so that's 10 goals he was involved in, including the goal of the century in the quarter final and played well in the final too, set up the winner. The goal of the century is worthy of wc victory alone.

Messi didn't even score in the knockout stages of the 2014 WC. During the whole tournament, even though they got to the final, he wasn't anything special like we've seen him perform at Barca, scored a fk v nigeria, a late winner, and not much more. It's getting very frustrating watching him fail with Arg again and again.

These are all lies you manufactured.
While messi wasn't in his stunning best, he was by far the best argentina player and most of the times the only one creating or threatening their opponents.
The rest you say have absolutely no bearing, only the finals matter since if argentina haven't won the 86 final we wouldn't be having this conversation now.
So what did maradroga do in the final? Nothing, absolutely nothing, he had a very bad final and he wasn't argentina's best player in that final, he only provided buruchaga with a good but very easy pass, something that messi also did in 14 but his teammates let him down, unlike buruchaga who carried maradroga to victory.

Zidane121

Banned
While messi wasn't in his stunning best, he was by far the best argentina player and most of the times the only one creating or threatening their opponents.
The rest you say have absolutely no bearing, only the finals matter since if argentina haven't won the 86 final we wouldn't be having this conversation now.
So what did maradroga do in the final? Nothing, absolutely nothing, he had a very bad final and he wasn't argentina's best player in that final, he only provided buruchaga with a good but very easy pass, something that messi also did in 14 but his teammates let him down, unlike buruchaga who carried maradroga to victory.

If Arg didn't win 86 final, people would still see the unbelievable performances Maradona did in the other games that tournament, the best individual performances by a player in a WC ever by Maradona. Like I said the goal of the century vs. England is worth a World Cup alone. Messi didn't do nothing like that is my point.

Narto

You can't just say "performance matters, but only in finals". Either every performance matters or only results matter. If Argentina hadn't won the semi final in 86, you wouldn't have this conversation either.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
If Arg didn't win 86 final, people would still see the unbelievable performances Maradona did in the other games that tournament, the best individual performances by a player in a WC ever by Maradona. Like I said the goal of the century vs. England is worth a World Cup alone. Messi didn't do nothing like that is my point.

You do know that maradroga was a coked up druggie right?

Zidane121

Banned
You can't just say "performance matters, but only in finals". Either every performance matters or only results matter. If Argentina hadn't won the semi final in 86, you wouldn't have this conversation either.

Exactly Maradona scored twice in the semi aswell to take them to the final, Arg in semi final 2014 it was 0-0 extra time and they won on penalties....Messi was awful that game.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Maradonas world cup in 1986 was much better than anything Messi has done with Argentina.

Trying to put all the blame on Messis team mates is not fair as his level has dropped in those finals and he has had big moments he has 'choked' also.

The other side of that is that Messi has had three or four tournaments better than anything Maradona did bar 1986.

Messi played fairly well yesterday without ever really looking like he was going to win it for them. He wasnt poor, he wasnt great and he fluffed his lines when they needed him most and he knows it but them not winning is down to the team as a whole.

Messi wasnt Argies best player yesterday. Banega and Masch were better in my opinion.

F

Flavia

But this is kind of my point, why isn't he even getting in the positions in the finals to score goals, 2014 WC Final did he even have a shot on target? He had a 1v1 vs Neuer and put it wide, was easier than Higuains chance in the final. Higuain isn't the best player in the world, that's why I said we can't keep blaming him. I didn't even watch the whole game last night but I'm guessing it would've been the same performance from Leo as the 2014 WC final. That's unheard of for Messi at Barca in a big game. People just wanna see him replicate his Barca form with the NT.

Because if he doesn't create chances, there's no one else to do it. So he has to drop deeper and set the forwards up. Which he did yesterday as well. The arg players also don't pass him the ball when he is in good positions. Higuain's miss was much worse that the one Messi missed in the wc 14 final, btw. Also, it's not unheard of Messi to miss for Barça, at all. Pk vs chelsea at camp nou cl semis.

Zidane121

Banned
Maradonas world cup in 1986 was much better than anything Messi has done with Argentina.

Trying to put all the blame on Messis team mates is not fair as his level has dropped in those finals and he has had big moments he has 'choked' also.

The other side of that is that Messi has had three or four tournaments better than anything Maradona did bar 1986.

Messi played fairly well yesterday without ever really looking like he was going to win it for them. He wasnt poor, he wasnt great and he fluffed his lines when they needed him most and he knows it but them not winning is down to the team as a whole.

I just don't know why Higuain is the scapegoat everytime, the guy isn't GOAT or a 5 time ballon d'or winner, when he missed I wasn't like omg how he miss...because it's higuain.

xavi_the_Boss

I just don't know why Higuain is the scapegoat everytime, the guy isn't GOAT or a 5 time ballon d'or winner, when he missed I wasn't like omg how he miss...because it's higuain, not messi.

Because he did it 3 years in a row.He is apparently a top striker who just scored over 35 Goals for Napoli and he got the best chances in all this matches and always missed.

JamDav1982

Because he did it 3 years in a row.He is apparently a top striker who just scored over 35 Goals for Napoli and he got the best chances in all this matches and always missed.

If Messi had missed that one on one and Higuain the penalty people would be going mad about the pen.

Higuain has been shit in the finals. Messi as been decent at best and had moments to do a lot better with that he failed.

The focus on Higuain is to deflect from Messi a bit I think. Messi has been better than him though without a doubt.

F

Flavia

I just don't know why Higuain is the scapegoat everytime, the guy isn't GOAT or a 5 time ballon d'or winner, when he missed I wasn't like omg how he miss...because it's higuain.

Missing 3 sitters, 3 finals in a row, did this to him. He deserves it.

If Messi had missed that one on one and Higuain the penalty people would be going mad about the pen.

Higuain has been shit in the finals. Messi as been decent at best and had moments to do a lot better with that he failed.

The focus on Higuain is to deflect from Messi a bit I think. Messi has been better than him though without a doubt.

No, it's because he missed 3 sitters in 3 finals. If it had been just one, people wouldn't be going on about it. But not converting even one from those 3... too much.

JamDav1982

Missing 3 sitters, 3 finals in a row, did this to him. He deserves it.

No, it's because he missed 3 sitters in 3 finals. If it had been just one, people wouldn't be going on about it. But not converting even one from those 3... too much.

Not quite sitters but good chances and he has been poor.

People do use him to deflect from Messi as his name crops up every time people mention Messi not being great. Even when everyone agrees he missed chances and has been shit.

F

Flavia

Not quite sitters but good chances and he has been poor.

People do use him to deflect from Messi as his name crops up every time people mention Messi not being great. Even when everyone agrees he missed chances and has been shit.

People also use the "Messi has higuain, aguero, di maria at the nt. they're great players, so Messi should had won a title by now. It's messi's fault." as well. So he's used to deflect, really?
And yes, those were sitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans