10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric

After reading most of that article (thanks for the link, by the way), I have an even greater appreciation for his performances this season. It reminded me of things that I just don't want to think about. Just reading about the World Cup loss and last season makes me so sad that I feel weird in my stomach, and I'm just a spectator. Imagine what he must have gone through then. You could say "it's just a game" or something like that, but you can't take Messi's status out of context. He had the weight of the world on his shoulders and he is considered to have failed. Imagine what that does to your head. If that had been me, I probably would have spent the second half of 2014 alone in a room somewhere, just exhausted and empty inside. But Messi came back stronger than ever and played one of the best seasons of his career so far. That alone makes him a champion in my book. That takes incredible strength and mind power. Luckily, as he himself said recently, now he deals with failure differently and has a family that makes it easier for him to move on.

Last edited:

Antimadridista1

CG5xoUQWQAAIoMT.jpg

He may not say "Visca Barca" every 5 seconds but he's definitely one of the most "culé" among all the players.
He truly loves the club and this is why he will always be loyal. :wub:

J

Jamie Cal

He may not say "Visca Barca" every 5 seconds but he's definitely one of the most "culé" among all the players.
He truly loves the club and this is why he will always be loyal. :wub:

^ this

also, *remembers the context of this...*

10689500_10205257826941547_5127615667766109966_n.jpg

ejuventus

I'd say only Zidane and Maradona did more for their respective NTs, not cruyff, not Platini.

And those performances represent a huge, huge chunk of their legacy today, whereas Messi accomplished so much more at club level.

Zidane scored that brace in 1998, otherwise he was excellent but nowhere near legend status. He wasn't better in the 1998 group stages than Messi was in 2010.
2006 was a different story, but Messi wasn't that far in 2014, guy was directly involved in almost every goal of Argentina but still gets shat on, James was better, Neymar was better, Muller was better, POgba was better... :lol:

Talking about Cruyff, then he never won a WC or Euro.

Zidane's club career is not remotely close to Messi's.

Give me a break. Messi in 2014 was by far the most dangerous and valuable player in the tournement. As for his contributions to the Argentina NT during 7 games? well watch carefully the games again like a I did, and you'll see how he was guarded like Juve did in the final BUT he managed to score crazy goals taking Argentina to the final. Germany was the greatest team in the tournement but had Messi scored from that 1-1 on Neuer, you and I would be having a very different discussion right now.

Maradona was GREAT in 86 and did very well in 90 but I really think at times that Messi is up there now and he's not done yet. GOAT really is well deserved for Messi.
last Zidane, Cruijff, Platini legends but no GOAT.

International tournaments like the WC don't have the same quality as they did back then. In fact, the CL has much more quality these days IMO.

I was too young in 1998 to have an opinion about Zidane's WC, but from what I've heard, Zidane had a mediocre tournament back then.

Not mediocre, that's just retrospective history adjusting the standards (Messi of course suffers the most from this)
Zidane was hailed as the world's best player after the tournament and yes, through that hyped lens, his tournament was mediocre outside of the final. He got red carded in the quarters and missed the semis, so...

But yea 2006 was infinitely better than 1998 for him, the best all around world cup performance I've ever seen (I've seen 5)

I don't understand why people use to forget Zidane's period at Juve: that was actually the best Zidane, and not a case he won there his unic Balon d'Oro, and there was a second one in 2000 that France Football didn't give him only because he was sent off twice (always by head butt!) in group stage with Juve.

Zidane 1998)
he was already the best footballer of the world, beside Ronald and Del Piero.....but he was most magician.
The previous year he arrived 3rd......his first year as almost unkknown at Juve was magnificent, specially some great match such Intercontinental Cup, European Supercup, Milan-Juve 1-6 in Serie A and CL semifinal vs Ajax, both legs.

His second year at Juve was just slightly below his first, probably because he started to think of world cup at home. Nonetherless, again great performances and plays with Juve winning the league and reaching CL Final

In WC 1998, he go a red card in group stage, and came back for 1/4ers vs Italy....... I saw him that entire match, and I've never seen before or later (except from him) such domination of a match from a midfielder in such a level competition...... It was incredibile how he could put Italy in difficulty every single ball touched for 120 minute, and it was THAT Italy.

He was the unquestionable leader of that fabulous France, as he showed again in 2000 when France won EURO.
His semifinal vs Portugal is in history of football......he reached level of art applied to football never seen before or later.
And those were his best years....from 1999 to 2000......when both Del Piero and Ronaldo were broken.

He felt to be the unique leader at Juve, and became an alien.
His 1999/2000 Serie A is the best league I've ever seen from a player......and I saw Platini, Maradona, Zico, Van Basten, Gullit, Baggio, Batistuta, and others. I attempted that year the match in Rome Lazio-Juve....... Lazio was Juve's competitors that year, based only on his fantastich midfield: Veron, Stankovic, Nedved, Almeyd, S. Conceiçao.
Well........Zidane could stop them every single action in defense, and dribbled always 2 or 3 of them all the match....before passing to our weak forwards that year (Del Piero 2.0 and Inzaghi).....that was his problem those: Juve had decreased his level, specially on forwards.

So he moved to Madrid, and he was right: we weren't more a club worthy of him.

But the best Zidane has been from 1996 to 2001, and specially around 2000.

When he missed WC 2002 because injury, France not only didn't pass the group stage, but they didn't score a single goal !
And they came to be the first team in history to win EURO after WC....so that, supposed to be one of best team history.

-----------------

Platini)

Said all that, being Juventus supporter I can state: PLATINI WAS BETTER THAN ZIDANE !!

3 consecutive Balon d'Or at part (all well deserved...not like Messi with his 2010's ;)

to who stated that he didn't do anything particular for NT, I have nothing else to say but.....get informed !!
Before Platini, France had for football the same role that nowdays could have Russia or China.
He changed the history of his country, and also Juve's.

At part of reaching 2 consecutive semifinals in WC 1982 and 1986, he won EURO 1984 with probably the best single performance ever for a player:
9 goals in 5 matches !!
And it was that football, and that european football: defenders could beat other's legs, gks could stop the balls etc.

9 goal in 5 matches.......for who was the playmake of the team, like he was at Juve, despite being always the best scorer both in the leagues and in european Cups.
The most complete and amazing player I've ever seen.

Platini has been undoubtedly better than Maradona

--------------------

Messi of course has got too many numbers for club.....and as I already said....... he's the best player ever for club

But he's far, very far, from what Zidane, Platini and others have done on a international level.
So he misses too much to be considered the best ever overall.

Bu he's got still time and .....in any case....... that should not be much important for a Barça fan ;)

Asylum15

I don't understand why people use to forget Zidane's period at Juve: that was actually the best Zidane, and not a case he won there his unic Balon d'Oro, and there was a second one in 2000 that France Football didn't give him only because he was sent off twice (always by head butt!) in group stage with Juve.

Zidane 1998)
he was already the best footballer of the world, beside Ronald and Del Piero.....but he was most magician.
The previous year he arrived 3rd......his first year as almost unkknown at Juve was magnificent, specially some great match such Intercontinental Cup, European Supercup, Milan-Juve 1-6 in Serie A and CL semifinal vs Ajax, both legs.

His second year at Juve was just slightly below his first, probably because he started to think of world cup at home. Nonetherless, again great performances and plays with Juve winning the league and reaching CL Final

In WC 1998, he go a red card in group stage, and came back for 1/4ers vs Italy....... I saw him that entire match, and I've never seen before or later (except from him) such domination of a match from a midfielder in such a level competition...... It was incredibile how he could put Italy in difficulty every single ball touched for 120 minute, and it was THAT Italy.

He was the unquestionable leader of that fabulous France, as he showed again in 2000 when France won EURO.
His semifinal vs Portugal is in history of football......he reached level of art applied to football never seen before or later.
And those were his best years....from 1999 to 2000......when both Del Piero and Ronaldo were broken.

He felt to be the unique leader at Juve, and became an alien.
His 1999/2000 Serie A is the best league I've ever seen from a player......and I saw Platini, Maradona, Zico, Van Basten, Gullit, Baggio, Batistuta, and others. I attempted that year the match in Rome Lazio-Juve....... Lazio was Juve's competitors that year, based only on his fantastich midfield: Veron, Stankovic, Nedved, Almeyd, S. Conceiçao.
Well........Zidane could stop them every single action in defense, and dribbled always 2 or 3 of them all the match....before passing to our weak forwards that year (Del Piero 2.0 and Inzaghi).....that was his problem those: Juve had decreased his level, specially on forwards.

So he moved to Madrid, and he was right: we weren't more a club worthy of him.

But the best Zidane has been from 1996 to 2001, and specially around 2000.

When he missed WC 2002 because injury, France not only didn't pass the group stage, but they didn't score a single goal !
And they came to be the first team in history to win EURO after WC....so that, supposed to be one of best team history.

-----------------

Platini)

Said all that, being Juventus supporter I can state: PLATINI WAS BETTER THAN ZIDANE !!

3 consecutive Balon d'Or at part (all well deserved...not like Messi with his 2010's ;)

to who stated that he didn't do anything particular for NT, I have nothing else to say but.....get informed !!
Before Platini, France had for football the same role that nowdays could have Russia or China.
He changed the history of his country, and also Juve's.

At part of reaching 2 consecutive semifinals in WC 1982 and 1986, he won EURO 1984 with probably the best single performance ever for a player:
9 goals in 5 matches !!
And it was that football, and that european football: defenders could beat other's legs, gks could stop the balls etc.

9 goal in 5 matches.......for who was the playmake of the team, like he was at Juve, despite being always the best scorer both in the leagues and in european Cups.
The most complete and amazing player I've ever seen.

Platini has been undoubtedly better than Maradona

--------------------

Messi of course has got too many numbers for club.....and as I already said....... he's the best player ever for club

But he's far, very far, from what Zidane, Platini and others have done on a international level.

Bu he's got still time and .....in any case....... that should not be much important for a Barça fan ;)

Something I will say is this:

Messi was about 60% fit at the 2014 WC, the Cules here will know this. When you watched the guy this year, he was completely different, in terms of mobility, reactions, vision, stamina etc.

If the Messi of this season was at the 2014 World Cup, Argentina would have been world champions, no doubt in my mind.

B

Batman

3 consecutive Balon d'Or at part (all well deserved...not like Messi with his 2010's

How many full games did you watch Platini play? How old are you when Zidane played for Juve? I never understood people talking about past players unless they watched every game week in and out like we do today and not based thier opinions on youtube highlights or old geezer articles.
Platini wouldn't even win all those Balon d'Or if it wasn't for the rule that only European players can win it. Maradona would've easily took two of Platini's Balon d'Or.

Asylum15

Great article.

The only thing I don't like is how the article suggests that Leo's 'running' days are over.

He's just about to turn 28 ffs, he CAN still run. Of course it's about expenditure of energy etc these days, and the article does mention this, but I've seen alot of media now saying, ''Leo is dropping deeper and deeper because he can't run like he used to.''

That is nonsense. He is dropping deeper and deeper because he is dictating everything we do past defence, and when he needs to run, you better believe he will, just ask Bilbao.

LordLichtenstein

Koeman: "Messi is best player ever. Some say Pele, Cruyff or Maradona, but none of them was as decisive as Messi"

Maldini: "Messi makes the difference. “I think he reached and surpassed the level of Maradona."

Luis Enrique: "Messi is the best in the world without any doubt and for me the history of football"

Gerry Armstrong: "Two years ago I said that the best player I played against was Maradona and the best player I have played with was Bestie. But I can now say I have never seen a player as good as Messi. He’s in a league of his own."

Diego Simeone: "Diego filled us with emotions. But between the cracks, without doubt, Messi is better than Maradona."

Arsene Wenger: "Who is the Best Player in the World? Leo Messi. Who is the Best Player Ever? Leo Messi."

Gary Lineker: "Fella’s a genius. Best ever by a distance in my life time. Never really saw Pele… Souness, Gullit, Venables and now Rooney agree Messi is the best they have seen. He plays a game with which we are not familiar."

Gerard Pique: "It feels good to be in the same generation as him. I believe he’s the best player in the history of the sport."

John Terry: "Lionel Messi is quite clearly the best player ever. It’s a pleasure to pit myself against him and when I finish my career it’s something I can look back on and know I’ve tested myself against the very best."

Tostão: "Messi is better than Maradona; he is more complete, more consistent, more spectacular. He is reinventing the game – a mix of the real and the virtual."

Mario Gomez: "I am not crazy enough to compare myself with Messi because he is the best there ever was and the best there will ever be."

Roy Keane: "I was a big fan of Maradona growing up and of the current crop Ronaldo is good but Messi is the best I’ve ever seen. I don’t dish out praise lightly but Messi deserves it. I look for weaknesses in his game and I can’t find them."

Adriano Galliani: "Messi is the best player ever. And this is said by someone who has seen Maradona and Pele play."

Frank Lampard: "The levels he has taken his game to is something I have never seen before. "I grew up on Maradona. He was my idol and I think Messi has taken it to higher levels than him.

Pep Guardiola: "I didn't see Pele, but Leo is the best player ever. He's unique."

Wayne Rooney: "Messi is a joke. For me the best ever."

Marcial Pina: “Messi is the best player I've ever seen — better than Maradona and Johan Cruyff together.”

Andrea Pirlo: “He has achieved so much, but I'm sure he'll achieve so much more. Everybody knows he's one of the greatest ever already.”

Terry Venables: "Messi best player I ever saw? Yes, he is! He's even better than myself (laughs). One word summarizes him: genius."

Antonio Cassano: "Messi is the greatest in the history of football."

Albert Ferrer: "I played with Romario, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Laudrup and Stoichkov but Messi is the best I’ve seen"

Terry McDermott: "For those asking i do think Messi is the best ever yes. Kenny was the best player i ever played with"

Ivan Helguera: "For me, Messi is the best player in history"

Joan Laporta: "Messi is the best player in the world right now and the best ever."

Joey Barton: "Messi is the best that’s played the game. Streets ahead of Maradona."

Sid Lowe: "To compare Lionel Messi to anybody else is unfair on them"

Carlos Bianchi: "Lionel Messi is the best player of all times."

Harry Redknapp: "Lionel Messi is the most amazing player I have ever seen."

Vitor Baia: "Messi is marking a decade. He’s on his way to become one of the best in history, maybe best ever."

Ruud van Nistelrooy: "Messi is on a different level. The fact he is doing what he is year after year says that he is the best of all time."

Shay Given: “Who do I think will win the FIFA Ballon d’or in Zurich today? Lionel Messi. Best player ever to grace this planet.”

Robbie Fowler: "The best player EVER without a shadow, if you didn’t think/know already…"

Rio Ferdinand: "Congrats to Messi! Wow, 4 yrs in a row! Added something else to his list of ‘only person to..’ Is Messi Best Of All Time?"

Gary Neville: "I think we’re always nervous about calling people who are currently playing, who are young at 23, to say he’s the Best Player ever. But we shouldn’t be."

Graeme Souness: "Lionel Messi is the Best Player Ever."

Pedro Pinto: "Messi is unstoppable and we should feel privileged to be watching a player who may be the best of all time. The best and most exciting footballer on the planet."

Eden Hazard: "Is Messi the best player of all times?"

And his is only 27 (soon 28). Imagine how people will praise him, when he retires in 7-8 years.

He truly is the best ever! :barcascarf:

We need more quotes :D

Last edited:

ejuventus

How many full games did you watch Platini play? How old are you when Zidane played for Juve? I never understood people talking about past players unless they watched every game week in and out like we do today and not based thier opinions on youtube highlights or old geezer articles.
Platini wouldn't even win all those Balon d'Or if it wasn't for the rule that only European players can win it. Maradona would've easily took two of Platini's Balon d'Or.
I saw all european matches from 83

so I remember well that Juve and Platini, who reached 3 consecutive european Finals,2 of them in Champions' Cup
I saw also that Euro 1984.

Platini was the leader, the playmaker, the assistman and the top scorer. The most carismatic and the most classy.
Both for Juve and France NT.

Who has lost Platini's deeds cannot talk about legends and european football.

And you're totally wrong about his Balon d'Or:
in those years he was the best player of the world by far, he had personal performances better than anyone else, and won more than anyone else.
Maradona was at your team in his 2 first Balon d'or....and you should know better than me if the argentinian was worth of anything.

Platini 1984's was the best year for a footballer that I've ever seen:
He won Serie A with, as best assistman and top scorer....with 20 goals beating Zico (pure forward) with 19
he won Cups' Cup....beating UTD in Semifinal and Porto in Final (that POrto was going to win Champions' Cup 3 years later)
he won EURO with France....with 9 goals in 5 matches...... still best performance for a single player in a big tournament

nobody else has done that, Messi neither
He can this year.....if he will win America Cup and will score lots of goals

Asylum15

Rio Ferdinand: "Congrats to Messi! Wow, 4 yrs in a row! Added something else to his list of ‘only person to..’ Is Messi Best Of All Time?"

He still thinks Cristiano is better though, lol.

My personal view on the 'best ever' one is basically this:

Isin't it unfair to call Leo the best ever (he is already), when he's still got 3-4 years of prime ahead? Shows how incredibly fucking incredible he is that people called him best ever at 23, but even at 27, it's like reaching a conclusion before all has been revealed!

He is going to amass so much more before he retires (in Rosario I'd imagine) and by that time, the thought of saying he ISIN'T the best ever will be so idiotic as to be laughable.

StarLord

[MENTION=19656]LordLichtenstein[/MENTION]

The funny thing is that none of those quotes on Messi are required to argue for his brilliance as well as his undisputed GOAT status. His absurd collection of outrageous games is more than good enough.

Edit: "Sport" reports that Messi has played over 5000 minutes this season. 5085 to be precise. Both him and Lucho must realize that this must stop from next season. We must preserve him for as much as possible.

Stric

Edit: "Sport" reports that Messi has played over 5000 minutes this season. 5085 to be precise. Both him and Lucho must realize that this must stop from next season. We must preserve him for as much as possible.

It really does. We're playing with fire, especially after his previous two injury-ridden seasons.

LordLichtenstein

[MENTION=19656]LordLichtenstein[/MENTION]

The funny thing is that none of those quotes on Messi are required to argue for his brilliance as well as his undisputed GOAT status. His absurd collection of outrageous games is more than good enough.

I have been following Barca very closly this season, with my stats and all, and I have his minute count at 5061. :p

Why exactly? I see nothing wrong with him playing 5000+ minutes, if his performance doesn't dip.

BrazilFan

I personally hate the GOAT discussion as it just diminishes one party and raises another and it only praises attackers when they are GOAT GK and defenders as well. Just leave it at Pele was the best in his era, Maradona in his, Zidane and Ronaldo alternated, Messi is now then 10-15 years from now the next generational talent will be discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans