10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The Spanish are trying to make an example out of Messi, it is as clear as day.

Sure you can say Messi at the very least is guilty of negligence and his father is probably guilty of setting up the whole thing and guilty as charged, but I found it more pathetic that they treat different people differently.

Social media is going crazy about this news. His image is taking a huge beating.

Nah, a lot of people have seen this coming, the shock value is very high but the actual damage is not as big as we thought since the damage was done a long time go when this whole thing surfaced.

As long as it doesn't get to Messi and impact him too much personally, it should be fine. Let those pathetic fuckers get their 15-minute of high today.

There is tax evasion and there is tax fraud. Messi and Masch cases are tax fraud. Alonso and Iker cases are tax evasion I think if I am not wrong.

Yes there is a difference between the two. But I wonder, what is the difference in terms of the actual techniques used by the players, do you know?

Did Iker, Alonso, Mou etc. all use legal means to evade taxes? If those are legal, why did they get into trouble I wonder?

Alik

Yes there is a difference between the two. But I wonder, what is the difference in terms of the actual techniques used by the players, do you know?

Did Iker, Alonso, Mou etc. all use legal means to evade taxes? If those are legal, why did they get into trouble I wonder?

Tax evasion is illegal (unlike tax avoidance).

However, I'm not sure about the difference between tax fraud and tax evasion as definitions vary in different countries.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Intentional and unintentional could be the difference. Tax evasion is a very gray area. But tax fraud isn't. You are intentionally moving your money around and evading tax by some shady stuff.

F

Flavia

There's a sutil difference between those two, but regarding mou, casillas and alonso, it's the same thing as Messi and Masch. Using offshores companies to get paid for image rights. Masch even used the same offshore company as alonso. Read this.

Intentional and unintentional could be the difference. Tax evasion is a very gray area. But tax fraud isn't. You are intentionally moving your money around and evading tax by some shady stuff.

You're confusing tax avoidance and tax evasion. Evasion and fraud are both illegal.

iniesta_8

article-2673560-08B0619700000514-233_634x420.jpg

Isn't the Pope Argentinian;)

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
There's a sutil difference between those two, but regarding mou, casillas and alonso, it's the same thing as Messi and Masch. Using offshores companies to get paid for image rights. Masch even used the same offshore company as alonso. Read this.

If this is true, what a baloney Spain is. A load of crap.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No, it won't.

You guys seeing this from a Barça perspective. For Messi the most important thing is clearing his name and he should do his best to make that happen, especially when the prosecutors dropped charges against him.

That Madridista state attorney had other plans. If you don't think that sounds strange then I don't know what will.

Not unusual in Spain I admit, but they really did their all to drag his name through dirt while overlooking other things.

All the players with tax issues coming up when Catalunya started their independence push again some years ago. A part of it political motivated too.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think it is both a formality and a statement of defiance from Messi to appeal, even though the verdict will not be overturned, knowing Spain.

It is good in the sense that it sends out the message of maintaining innocence and defiance. But I hope this won't drag out too long and provide more distractions and stuff for the tabloids.

serghei

Pretty much this. Messi and/or his father may have done this knowingly, hence the sentence. Tax fraud involves intent. Probably there was some evidence about this that we may not know about.

I'm not buying into the fact that the spanish legal system has developed a ploy to make an example out of a footballer. The press, yea, it's biased, the legal system is probably not. If Messi received a more serious sentence than others, I believe it's because the prosecutors proved there was an element of intent involved in the mix, an important element that, again, may be missing in other cases.

F

Flavia

Pretty much this. Messi and/or his father may have done this knowingly, hence the sentence. Tax fraud involves intent. Probably there was some evidence about this that we may not know about.

I'm not buying into the fact that the spanish legal system has developed a ploy to make an example out of a footballer. The press, yea, it's biased, the legal system is probably not. If Messi received a more serious sentence than others, I believe it's because the prosecutors proved there was an element of intent involved in the mix, an important element that, again, may be missing in other cases.
Have you been following these closely? It doesn't seem you have. The fiscalia and the prosecution wanted Messi to be absolved. A rm former member pushed for his conviction, being the state advocate, another prosecution party. And yes, legal systems are filled with political decisions, and filled with corruption as well.

in the sentence the judge even says Messi might have not known any of this, but that he'll still be convicting Messi. It's clear it was to make him an example.

serghei

Have you been following these closely? It doesn't seem you have. The fiscalia wanted Messi to be absolved. A rm former member pushed for his conviction. And yes, legal systems are filled with political decisions, and filled with corruption as well.

in the sentence the judge even says Messi might have not known any of this, but that he'll still be convicting Messi. It's clear it was to make him an example.

I didn't follow it closely, but a definitive sentence has to be given it's proper weight. Otherwise this is like a prison movie were every inmate plays the "I didn't do it, system set me up" card. He was innocent until the guilty sentence came out. Now he isn't anymore. I don't buy the Spain is out to get Messi card. Doesn't make any sense - outside a Hollywood movie scenario. He's just a footballer.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

How did they prove intent on Messi's part?

F

Flavia

I didn't follow it closely, but a defenitive sentence has to be given it's proper weight. Otherwise this is like a prison movie were every inmate plays the "I didn't do it, system set me up" card. He was innocent until the guilty sentence came out. Now he isn't anymore. I don't buy the Spain is out to get Messi card. Doesn't make any sense - outside a Hollywood movie scenario. He's just a footballer.

He's not just a footballer, though. You shouldn't overlook the fact that if he played for rm, nothing of the sort would be happening either. I'm not saying he's being false accused, but he got the fiscalia attesting he should be absolved. And a rm board member pushing for his conviction. If you think there's nothing shady about this, that everything's been done how it should had been, well, you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans