10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
They didn't prove intent. They just said he was indifferent, did nothing about knowing anything on how his taxes were paid and what happened so he's guilty.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
They didn't prove intent. They just said he was indifferent, did nothing about knowing anything on how his taxes were paid and what happened so he's guilty.

So essentially negligence, which is ground for tax fraud in Spain?

Hmmm, I guess before I sign my tax returns next time, I need to hire another tax accountant to have a second look of the work my tax accountant did, and perhaps hire a third tax accountant to check the audit work of the second tax accountant? :p

Zidane121

Banned
Ballon D'or looks like it's heading to CR7, Portugal through to final, CR7 scored a good header and another assist. Leo's day just gets worse.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Ballon D'or looks like it's heading to CR7, Portugal through to final, CR7 scored a good header and another assist. Leo's day just gets worse.

That's OK. Even on the narrow sense of BD count itself, it will still be 5 vs. 4. Messi will still have chances to win more BDs after this fucking unlucky and tumultuous year.

And on the broad level of comparing these two's legacies, no tax evasion conviction will erase the fact that Messi is among the top 3 in history while Ronaldo is probably top 10.

Mitchell1978

Pretty much this. Messi and/or his father may have done this knowingly, hence the sentence. Tax fraud involves intent. Probably there was some evidence about this that we may not know about.

I'm not buying into the fact that the spanish legal system has developed a ploy to make an example out of a footballer. The press, yea, it's biased, the legal system is probably not. If Messi received a more serious sentence than others, I believe it's because the prosecutors proved there was an element of intent involved in the mix, an important element that, again, may be missing in other cases.

There's very little doubt that Spain and especially the Partido Popular are corrupt, not long age there was a conversation between a government official and a state prosecutor urging them to prosecute more Catalan political parties

jj_101

So essentially negligence, which is ground for tax fraud in Spain?

Hmmm, I guess before I sign my tax returns next time, I need to hire another tax accountant to have a second look of the work my tax accountant did, and perhaps hire a third tax accountant to check the audit work of the second tax accountant? :p

Or just hire an above board accountant to begin with. Ignorance doesn't make you not guilty. Everyone would have a perfect excuse for any crime.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Or just hire an above board accountant to begin with. Ignorance doesn't make you not guilty. Everyone would have a perfect excuse for any crime.

Who is to say this "above board accountant"'s work was done right? Should I trust people based on their credentials?

jj_101

Who is to say this "above board accountant"'s work was done right? Should I trust people based on their credentials?

That's what most people do. If someone/ some firm has an impeccable history and reputation chances are they will represent you well. What kind of tax planning history, and experience does Messi's father have?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That's what most people do. If someone/ some firm has an impeccable history and reputation chances are they will represent you well. What kind of tax planning history, and experience does Messi's father have?

Remember Arthur Andersen?

Sure, I am not saying the Messis' should not have had better people handle their taxes, I am just arguing against the merit of Messi's conviction. Basically if I get screwed over by one person, no matter how trustworthy and professional that person has been, I will be convicted? I'd better study tax codes myself to do my own taxes.

Question17

Oh so this is a slippery slope situation, because if a poor multimillionaire and his father claim to know nothing, do no wrong, only while keeping more millions for themselves then what chance do us regular people have of not going to jail while even looking at taxes. . I think Messi's example should pave the way for abolishing taxes in general as inhumanely necessitating ones awareness and attention.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Negligence is not really a good enough excuse.

The problem here is that this is shady as hell. Hundreds of people have settled without any problems yet a Madridista State Attorney and the judge decided to overrule the other parties.

Why? No one knows. Very convenient. That's a problem.

jj_101

Remember Arthur Andersen?

Sure, I am not saying the Messis' should not have had better people handle their taxes, I am just arguing against the merit of Messi's conviction. Basically if I get screwed over by one person, no matter how trustworthy and professional that person has been, I will be convicted? I'd better study tax codes myself to do my own taxes.
It's not hard to do your own taxes. With the software available today most people can do them fine witout knowing the fine details of the tax code. It's a lot harder to avoid paying your legal tax obligation, do it legally, and satisfy the tax authorities that it has been done legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans