10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMU ReBorn

The Ballon D'or race is between Ronaldo and Messi.
Suarez Deserves it this year , :) . Huge Messi fan here ,but i would love to see Suarez winning it . He should have won it in 2013 ( which i know FIFA wouldn't have given) . If penaldo deserved it in 2013 , Luis Should win it this year hands down .. but i know Ballon's are like oscar's . one favors American Movie's other favor's poster boy's ...even with out Ballon's Messi is light year's ahead of any forward in this era , but this year Let Suarez win it .

blaugrana1987

Its going to be Messi vs Ronaldo again, but this year Suarez was better then Ronaldo and maybe even Messi (although Messi was better in first 3 months). It should be Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez and Grizman all battling it out, but this is PR competition so most known players from two best clubs are only "invited".

Although, I feel alot of players and journos now have feeling Ronaldo just isn't all that good anymore. He was in 2013/2014, but not anymore. He barely beaten Messi in both of those years, but I doubt its going to be this one if he doesn't win Euro.

It will come down to second half of the year...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's not unusual to have other commitments, in sporting organizations or political positions etc. But in a country like Spain, this should be an issue with the animosity of Catalunya v Spanish Nationalism, and how she and her office pushed forward the case despite the prosecutors and fiscal authorities dropping charges against him.

So to speak, having a 3rd party of the State Attorney who served a role in Real Madrid during Florentino's first(?) board, with the judge supporting their claim, sounds very shady. That's the problem I see with the entire case against him.

Messi settled and paid back everything he owed + fines, like so many athletes in Spain. The Spanish Princess was acquitted and she went with the same defence of trusting the people handing her money and knowing nothing about it, but here we suddenly have a Madridista State Attorney who came out of the blue and managed to force through the case going to court and finding him guilty.

Last edited:

jj_101

Third ? Ronaldo won it in 2013 with out even winning a trophy . Here Suarez will end up as leading Gs of the year with possibly 3 Trophy's and Lot more Assist's than Penaldo , then why not Suarez ?

article-2673222-1F16F3A000000578-503_634x412.jpg

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sports Illustrated says Messi will return to the Argentinian National Selection in November.

Does it mention the Argentinian president Mauricio Macri claiming Messi told him during their phone call that he was going to return in November? I think it is just a hoax.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Lionel Messi's retirement could cost Argentina's team millions

Lionel Messi could cost Argentina's national soccer team tens of millions of dollars.

Messi, regarded as the best player in the world, indicated he would quit after a heartbreaking loss in the Copa America final -- Messi's fourth loss in the finals. Although some believe Messi, 29, will come back, his departure would be costly for Argentina's team.

It's not the only grim news surrounding Messi. On Wednesday, a Spanish court sentenced him to a 21-month prison term for tax evasion -- although he won't spend any time behind bars.

Still, Argentina's Football Association, or AFA, must contemplate life without Messi. It would be expensive.

"If Messi does not return to the Argentine team, AFA will lose $20 to $25 million, perhaps even more, from now until the 2018 World Cup", says Guillermo Tofoni, a FIFA match organizer.

The losses would be even higher when calculated through the Qatar World Cup in 2022. Messi was expected to stay on the team until then.

Tofoni said countries like Italy, Spain and China have already been calling him since Messi's announcement, wanting to renegotiate payment terms.

Russia says it would reduce the amount paid to Argentina by $1 million for their next friendly game in June 2017 if Messi did not return, Tofoni claims.

Argentina gets paid up to $2 million to play a friendly game with Messi on the roster.

"If we speak about the potential to play with Messi or without Messi, it would be a 35% smaller payment for the national team, with a potential to get to 50% loss," says Javier Medin, Argentina's representative at the South American Football Lawyers Association.

That doesn't include losses from other AFA business streams -- including ticket sales, broadcast rights and sponsorships.

AFA declined to comment for this article. Many Argentines, including President Mauricio Macri, have pleaded with Messi to come back. Subway stations and bus stops in Buenos Aires, the capital, have the sign #NoTeVayasLio or "Don't go Lio."

Argentina is currently set to play 28 friendly games before 2022, according to Tofoni, who expects no new bookings if Messi is absent.

Among those games are 16 scheduled to be played at home.

Tofoni anticipates a $1 million loss just in ticket sales for each home game if Messi is not a part of the team. This would amount to $16 million until 2022 Qatar World cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans