10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakt

See i understand what you are saying , he will lose his pace for sure, but it's not like he can't be a dribbler that opponents fear at the age of 32 . Take the case of Iniesta whom I don't consider as a better dribbler than Messi but he still can dribble pass player's at this age. I believe we are gonna Witness Messi a true genius in vision and playmaking. I don't wanna see him as a goal poacher after his 30's.

It's different kind of dribbling. Iniesta is not pulling that often in the last third where Messi was making monkeys out of everyone with his pace/rapid change of direction, etc. Messi is getting old. Look, even his hair is going gray/blond. :)

NotInHere

Thought he looked as fast as ever during a couple of runs down that right wing in the 2nd half. Finishing was ice cold and GOAT worthy a couple days ago against the 2nd best GK in the Serie A last season. He has been a bit slow with his finishing at the start of the season in later years, so not really surprised. Especially during that treble season where people said he was past it on here for many months before he absolutely exploded and the rest is part of football history.
you're right Messi is so unpredictable, remember those times where he would just look uninterested and would walk a lot, and this went on for awhile.. Then boom Messi exploded and argubly had his best season.

But to be fair he is losing speed, he can't beat players like he used to, he might knock them off balance due to his low centre of gravity but there was a time when he would leave players in the dust.

Last edited:

Total-Football

my bad i fucked up .. i agree with what RMU said .. matter fact , since Messi already doesn't seem to depend on his explosivness that much , i don't see a considerable difference between him and at 32-33 .. as long as he stays in th 7km-8km per match range.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not sure if you can really say that he has lost his speed and explosiveness. I mean sure compared to when he was in his early 20's, but still fast enough and very explosive IF he wants to do it. Case in point those couple of games he was with Argentina back in April, when he really tried I think he did leave opposing players in the dust.

Bran the Greenseer

I don't see a lose in speed, I see a lose in frequency of use of that speed. If he actually tries to run he seems the same (Remember Messi never had extreme sustained speed like Ronaldo or Bale but just insane acceleration).

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He's not slower in any sort of way that matters. The issue is when he's trying to burst off from a fully stopped position which almost never works with any regularity for any footballer ever. If he's receiving the ball when our play is ridiculously slow and static, and then kind of loitering to size up the defender, there's just a very low probability that he can skin him 1v1. Messi is best when he's receiving the ball while he's moving and on his toes. The defender is either backing off or committing, which allows Messi to exploit any positioning or balance weaknesses and slide past him with ease because the defender can't react quickly enough to shift his balance and stop Messi from passing. If Messi's flat footed and the defender is fully ready to turn in either direction to stop him, wtf is he supposed to do?

It's a problem when Barca plays slow, cautious games or when Messi himself decides he wants to play in third gear completely. An active and mobile Messi is the best dribbler the game has ever seen.

Just watch how almost every one of 10/11 Messi's best 1v1 or more dribbles come when he's running at them from the onset. His advantages in acceleration, balance, technique, control, etc. only come out in motion, otherwise there's little he can do unless someone blindly charges at him like a dumb brute (looking at you Milner).

bismp

He's not slower in any sort of way that matters. The issue is when he's trying to burst off from a fully stopped position which almost never works with any regularity for any footballer ever. If he's receiving the ball when our play is ridiculously slow and static, and then kind of loitering to size up the defender, there's just a very low probability that he can skin him 1v1. Messi is best when he's receiving the ball while he's moving and on his toes. The defender is either backing off or committing, which allows Messi to exploit any positioning or balance weaknesses and slide past him with ease because the defender can't react quickly enough to shift his balance and stop Messi from passing. If Messi's flat footed and the defender is fully ready to turn in either direction to stop him, wtf is he supposed to do?

It's a problem when Barca plays slow, cautious games or when Messi himself decides he wants to play in third gear completely. An active and mobile Messi is the best dribbler the game has ever seen.

Just watch how almost every one of 10/11 Messi's best 1v1 or more dribbles come when he's running at them from the onset. His advantages in acceleration, balance, technique, control, etc. only come out in motion, otherwise there's little he can do unless someone blindly charges at him like a dumb brute (looking at you Milner).

I kinda disagree.Sure you have a point,but i have watched the video and i notice that there are many similar occasions today.The difference is that these days Messi rarely runs straight at them.Instead he makes small steps and usually tries to give a through ball.I am not saying it's wrong,what i am saying is 10/11 Messi would run at the defenders.

SeloBarca

Messis acceleration isnt what it was 2010. Hes 29 now and hes been playing at extreme levels since 17 taking alot of beating on his leggs.
His leggs were like drumstick before, often moving faster withthe ball then defenders without it.
He hardly ever takes on players straight forward anymore in thoes crazy dribbles he used to do but rather dribble sideways.
Still fenomenal, but the "old" burst Messi i dont think well see again.

Ripsta

Only one game gone and people already moaning.

He's a second half season player now. He'll cruise the first half whilst keeping the team top of the league, then in the second he'll blitz it.

Vilarrubi

I thought he was good yesterday, showed aggression and determination to score more even at 2-0. Can't wait for Wednesday now

dakt

Only one game gone and people already moaning.

He's a second half season player now. He'll cruise the first half whilst keeping the team top of the league, then in the second he'll blitz it.

Next time take your glasses on. No body's moaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans