10 - Lionel Messi - v5

messi2140

6racies Xavi
The biggest problem imo is Messi's position and how managers (both Barca's and Argentina's) choose to manage his skills and his flaws. This has led to major humilations for Barcelona and Argentina in high pressure games in Cup competitions.

The way he plays in recent seasons in top games, his flaws are getting more visibility than his skills. That's either on Messi, the managers, or both.

Has cleary nothing to do with the constant steam of trash this board has been buying. To refresh that fucked up memory of yours ,here are the midfielders Barcelona bought/promoted for the last 5-6 years:

Alex Song
Denis Suárez
Ivan Rakitic
Alen Halilovic
Arda Turan
André Gomes
Paulinho

These are just the ""replacements"" Barcelona got in the Midfielders position. But Im sure our local fictional writer Wolfe will tell us here that It was Messi who was spearheading the negotiations

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Messi needs a very specific set-up in order to flourish. With the type of game he is imposing, it is now painfully obvious that teams have long figured out how to nullify him, especially in a poor team like Argentina.

cridra

What I don't understand is why people start to question Messi's legacy just because he had a bad tournament or a bad year?

You guys really forgot so easy that he was on top form more then 10 years in a row? You guys really think that Pele, Maradona, Cruyff or others were at their top lvl for their whole career? You really think that those legends didn't have a bad form or even a bad year in their whole career?

I mean it was totally clear that this Argentina squad was a disaster to happen.. Bad selection, bad tactics, bad subs, bad coach etc. and you guys blame messi :)

Me personally i wont remember Messi only for this tournament or the last period. I will remember him for the rest of his career, which a lot of you who start to question his legacy now forgot how you would have given then your life. Just to thank him that he exists. Shame really.

serghei

Has cleary nothing to do with the constant steam of trash this board has been buying. To refresh that fucked up memory of yours ,here are the midfielders Barcelona bought/promoted for the last 5-6 years:

Alex Song
Denis Suárez
Ivan Rakitic
Alen Halilovic
Arda Turan
André Gomes
Paulinho

These are just the ""replacements"" Barcelona got in the Midfielders position. But Im sure our local fictional writer Wolfe will tell us here that It was Messi who was spearheading the negotiations

Rakitic is not trash. Busi and Coutinho are world class. It's a very good midfield, just shy of Madrid's and arguably Bayern's. The main problem is not in the personnel. It's how we're using the players that is the big issue.

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Rakitic is not trash. Busi and Coutinho are world class. It's a very good midfield, just shy of Madrid's. The main problem is not in the personnel. It's how we're using the players that is the big issue.

And Coutinho has been playing the last 6 years and replaced Xavi right ?

blaugrana1987

The biggest problem imo is Messi's position and how managers (both Barca's and Argentina's) choose to manage his skills and his flaws. This has led to major humilations for Barcelona and Argentina in high pressure games in Cup competitions. Messi has basically been used as this god-like player who can play everywhere deciding everything with his genius touch. The cold result is the opposite. He's not scoring, not creating danger and more and more opponents have him in their pocket.

The way he plays in recent seasons in top games, his flaws are getting more visibility than his skills. That's either on Messi, the managers, or both.
Which top games? He was best player of majority of our big games this season. He was trash against Roma, but so was everyone else. He scored most goals in CL, with own goal guy coming second. Would probably be better to play Paco according to some here...

El Gato

Villarato!

You do understand I've been more active about Barca board being nuts in the relevant threads than anybody commenting here right now?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi needs a very specific set-up in order to flourish. With the type of game he is imposing, it is now painfully obvious that teams have long figured out how to nullify him, especially in a poor team like Argentina.

Yes because Barcelona and Argentina have employed the same specific set-up when he's won all these trophies with Barca and reached three consecutive finals with Argentina.

The amount of garbage hot takes here is ridiculous.

blaugrana1987

Rakitic is not trash. Busi and Coutinho are world class. It's a very good midfield, just shy of Madrid's. The main problem is not in the personnel. It's how we're using the players that is the big issue.
Rakitic is good when he is paired with Modric and someone like Brozovic, because not many NT can match that MF. When he plays with Barca, he plays with 35yr old Iniesta and Busquets, they are all slower then Cro MF for example.

Your point on Cou is great though. How come Coutinho played for so many years here and yet we still cant figure our MF out.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
People get carried away so easily. What they witnessed for 10 years now, they loose it in a day. Incredible.

It's just sad to see. Players that won no international trophies in their career include Cruyff and Di Stefano.

I'm sure half of this forum will continue to diminish Messi's value and worth as well as his legacy when he retires.

You already have guys like @serghei and @Barcilliant leading the shithousery here.

People just don't value something or someone until it's gone.

Mitchell1978

It's just sad to see. Players that won no international trophies in their career include Cruyff and Di Stefano.

I'm sure half of this forum will continue to diminish Messi's value and worth as well as his legacy when he retires.

You already have guys like @serghei and @Barcilliant leading the shithousery here.

they don't deserve him

messi2140

6racies Xavi

Just a couple more seasons until he retires from football and we will see how great Barcelona and Argentina will be without him

Home of Barca Fans