10 - Lionel Messi - v5

RevoTeller

Well to me he clearly is and by a huge margin, but that is not even a topic right now.

Yes, you are right, this is not the place.
I finish this by saying that to me, by a pure technical point of view, he could very well be (or, at least, for sure he is between the absolute bests), but compared to the other players who fight for that spot he lacks something else.

Anyway, end of the OT.

F

FlaFCB

Leo's combination of lazy/ineffective today is a clear indicator of how off form and maybe fatigued he is at the moment IMO. Let's not forget he pretty much plays every game and never had ridiculous levels of stamina in the first place, let alone now when he's reaching 30. He did used to have issues that were at least partially due to a lack of energy back in 13/14. I'd have to imagine that the level of quality rest/preparation he or the other players could've gotten post-PSG and before this game was under par too. He was really shitty today, didn't lead the team as we've come to expect.

There's a full week before the next match now, hopefully he and the coaching staff take the proper measures for him to come back sharper and in form next time. In the months where we can't afford much less than perfection, we need Messi to be at a very good level. I feel like people have forgotten that even at his best his form did fluctuate at times during the season, this is clearly a dip. Can't let it continue for much longer tho.

This. he's almost 30, and still playing the same minutes he did when he was 23, 24. He had a great match vs Celta, a regular one vs psg, and now a very bad one. He's been having those bad games more often now, and I think it's because he's tired. He is human, despite not looking like one sometimes.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi played like crap and deserves criticism, but I swear some of the things I read here when he has a bad game or two, is just hilarious.

Messi can have 15 straight games of wonderful performances with important, clutch moments and goals, but he has a couple of bad games and people start saying that he is finished, we shouldn't renew his contract, that he doesn't care about football anymore.

Guys, please.

Criticise his performances, but at least don't display your goldfish memories.

BusiTheKing

I am sorry to say this and I know I will receive an enormous amount of shitstorm, but no, if I have to think about it seriously, Messi is not the best player of all times, at least not to me.

That's fair enough since it's a incredibly difficult to make a cerebral comparison of players from different eras. Nobody is storming any shit.

Mitchell1978

Leo's combination of lazy/ineffective today is a clear indicator of how off form and maybe fatigued he is at the moment IMO. Let's not forget he pretty much plays every game and never had ridiculous levels of stamina in the first place, let alone now when he's reaching 30. He did used to have issues that were at least partially due to a lack of energy back in 13/14. I'd have to imagine that the level of quality rest/preparation he or the other players could've gotten post-PSG and before this game was under par too. He was really shitty today, didn't lead the team as we've come to expect.

There's a full week before the next match now, hopefully he and the coaching staff take the proper measures for him to come back sharper and in form next time. In the months where we can't afford much less than perfection, we need Messi to be at a very good level. I feel like people have forgotten that even at his best his form did fluctuate at times during the season, this is clearly a dip. Can't let it continue for much longer tho.

He was great just a week ago at home vs Celta, i doubt much has changed since then, this was just a bad/mediocre game. He is only human after all, you guys almost expect him to be at his best every week which would be great but isn't very realistic.

JamDav1982

This. he's almost 30, and still playing the same minutes he did when he was 23, 24. He had a great match vs Celta, a regular one vs psg, and now a very bad one. He's been having those bad games more often now, and I think it's because he's tired. He is human, despite not looking like one sometimes.

If he is so tired that it affects his performance as much as today he needs to hold his hand up and say so and allow them to rest him.

Cant have it affecting the team. He was awful away to PSG, average at best away to Atletico and poor at home to Leganes as well. All recent games.

F

FlaFCB

Honestly don't think he really gives a damn about football anymore, he's done it all for club, wonder why Messi the past 2 seasons always looks way more motivated for Argentina? He shows up walks around and leaves and everyone makes excuses for him.

He does not perform well under pressure or adversity anymore. The only time we see him perform well is when the conditions perfectly suit him. These conditions usually include late home matches against mid table sides who don't park the bus.

He will show up to play maybe once or twice a month when the conditions are perfect for him and dribble past the entire team multiple times and those highlight reel clips will keep us satisfied until his next showing.

Messi bailed Barça multiple times in January and february games. Barça lose, he plays a bad game, and people rise from somewhere to post bs like this... Seriously :facepalm:

Without Messi we wouldn't even be fighting for la liga. Guess you have no memory.

sickstar

A man can't be different persons match after match. He's the same person who perform like crazy just a few weeks ago (against celta).

I still think that it's his stamina problem, not a motivation problem. If yoou have no motivation, you can't possibly win 28 titles.

One thing though, contract extension may be an issue. Or he just wanna go back home to Newell's.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Honestly don't think he really gives a damn about football anymore, he's done it all for club, wonder why Messi the past 2 seasons always looks way more motivated for Argentina? He shows up walks around and leaves and everyone makes excuses for him.

He does not perform well under pressure or adversity anymore. The only time we see him perform well is when the conditions perfectly suit him. These conditions usually include late home matches against mid table sides who don't park the bus.

He will show up to play maybe once or twice a month when the conditions are perfect for him and dribble past the entire team multiple times and those highlight reel clips will keep us satisfied until his next showing.

Come on, let's not go overboard. You made it sound like he is only capitalizing on the team's momentum. He is still showing up VERY consistently, just not in most of the big games. And he continued to bail us out MANY times, consistently, just not today, just not recently.

BusiTheKing

Messi played like crap and deserves criticism, but I swear some of the things I read here when he has a bad game or two, is just hilarious.

Messi can have 15 straight games of wonderful performances with important, clutch moments and goals, but he has a couple of bad games and people start saying that he is finished, we shouldn't renew his contract, that he doesn't care about football anymore.

Guys, please.

If it was just a bad performance with things not quite working out for him, then fuck it. It's about mentality and responsibility to show spirit when being a leader.

Neymessi

I don't get how can anyone say he doesn't give a damn, after the psg game. And discard any other problem too. He can be tired or with some issue, this isn't normal.

Because he used to do this just before the world cup too in tata martino's season.

He would just walk back then not just one or two matches but a lot of matches. And that used to get on my nerves. I don't think he walked anywhere near like back then and people are exagerratting a lot but still he seemed quite disinterested. I wouldn't blame him though. But yeah, he has this annoying habit of not giving a fuck.

If this was suarez I would be dead sure he is tired or something, but with messi this is possible.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If it was just a bad performance with things not quite working out for him, then fuck it. It's about mentality and responsibility to show spirit when being a leader.

Bad performance, bad mentality. Same shit. Criticize him, he deserves it.

Some people here go into a crazy meltdown though which sorry to say, is retarded. I've refrained from saying stupid, retarded, but it is what it is.

When you got the memory of a goldfish and say that we should sell him, not renew him, that he is a choker, that he's finished when he was fucking incredible most of the games we've played this season(heck a couple of games ago against Celta) then you deserve shit for shitposting and being an idiot.

akaranzo

Jesus christ this is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen here :lol:. Calm the hell down, he's had 2 ''meh'' games and you're saying he doesn't care about football anymore. That's literally insane and shows just how spoiled some of our fans are lmao, we have the best player of ALL TIME on our team, but even he's human and has some bad games so get used to it and stop being so hyperbolic.

Home of Barca Fans