10 - Lionel Messi - v5

BusiTheKing

Inexcusable effort form him. So fucking frustrating. If he doesn't want to play, what's he doing on? Obviously I want him to play, but if he isn't motivated he could go back to Newell's or retire and we could start a new era which we eventually will need to anyway.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Leo's combination of lazy/ineffective today is a clear indicator of how off form and maybe fatigued he is at the moment IMO. Let's not forget he pretty much plays every game and never had ridiculous levels of stamina in the first place, let alone now when he's reaching 30. He did used to have issues that were at least partially due to a lack of energy back in 13/14. I'd have to imagine that the level of quality rest/preparation he or the other players could've gotten post-PSG and before this game was under par too. He was really shitty today, didn't lead the team as we've come to expect.

There's a full week before the next match now, hopefully he and the coaching staff take the proper measures for him to come back sharper and in form next time. In the months where we can't afford much less than perfection, we need Messi to be at a very good level. I feel like people have forgotten that even at his best his form did fluctuate at times during the season, this is clearly a dip. Can't let it continue for much longer tho.

Raketa10

His workrate is so low these days. I don't know what his problem is but I just can't accept the fact that the best player of all time can play like this. And it's not just today.

He played something like this in 2014 and than he changed nutritionist. I don't know if he is eating shit food again or what but something is wrong.

RevoTeller

His workrate is so low these days. I don't know what his problem is but I just can't accept the fact that the best player of all time can play like this. And it's not just today.

He played something like this in 2014 and than he changed nutritionist. I don't know if he is eating shit food again or what but something is wrong.

I am sorry to say this and I know I will receive an enormous amount of shitstorm, but no, if I have to think about it seriously, Messi is not the best player of all times, at least not to me.

BusiTheKing

Leo's combination of lazy/ineffective today is a clear indicator of how off form and maybe fatigued he is at the moment IMO. Let's not forget he pretty much plays every game and never had ridiculous levels of stamina in the first place, let alone now when he's reaching 30. He did used to have issues that were at least partially due to a lack of energy back in 13/14. I'd have to imagine that the level of quality rest/preparation he or the other players could've gotten post-PSG and before this game was under par too. He was really shitty today, didn't lead the team as we've come to expect.

There's a full week before the next match now, hopefully he and the coaching staff take the proper measures for him to come back sharper and in form next time. In the months where we can't afford much less than perfection, we need Messi to be at a very good level. I feel like people have forgotten that even at his best his form did fluctuate at times during the season, this is clearly a dip. Can't let it continue for much longer tho.

Oh come on. The contrast between his effort now and what the work he put in in nearly every game between summer '14 and his injury in fall '15 is too damn high to be attributed to physique. It's mentality 100%. If it was fatigue then he would allocate his energy differently, less pressure runs and more runs to get in position. Plus what's this about never having good stamina? Even in 11/12 he ran the pitch like a madman.

Last edited:

Raketa10

I am sorry to say this and I know I will receive an enormous amount of shitstorm, but no, if I have to think about it seriously, Messi is not the best player of all times, at least not to me.

Well to me he clearly is and by a huge margin, but that is not even a topic right now. And may I ask who is the best player of all times for you than?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Don, I have defended him recently saying that he does usually show a dip in form around the month of February when his form is poor and he will get out of it. However, I don't think today is it. I think being in a bad form (bad finishing, failed passes etc. for example) is very different from not wanting to try (not moving around, low participation etc.). If something is bothering and distracting him off the field, he needs to be professional enough to not let him be influenced by it. I just don't know what it is.

If you take into account his 2008-2012 and his 2015, on average I would have to say he is the best of all time.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I am sorry to say this and I know I will receive an enormous amount of shitstorm, but no, Messi is not the best player of all times, at least not to me.

You'd deserve a full shitstorm if you thought he was the GOAT prior to this match and then changed your mind after :lol:. If not, then that's just a matter of opinion and an argument on a far bigger scope than anything this match had to do with.

Messi had a career's worth of moments to make his GOAT argument within any given 5 year period of his career. Theoretically he could've been 100% shit in every game since 2012 and he'd still be in the GOAT discussion simply for what he did from 2006-2012. There's nothing about today or even within the past 2-3 months that even slightly changes the magnitude of his legacy for better/worse.

GetIn

Honestly don't think he really gives a damn about football anymore, he's done it all for club, wonder why Messi the past 2 seasons always looks way more motivated for Argentina? He shows up walks around and leaves and everyone makes excuses for him.

He does not perform well under pressure or adversity anymore. The only time we see him perform well is when the conditions perfectly suit him. These conditions usually include late home matches against mid table sides who don't park the bus.

He will show up to play maybe once or twice a month when the conditions are perfect for him and dribble past the entire team multiple times and those highlight reel clips will keep us satisfied until his next showing.

Home of Barca Fans