10 - Lionel Messi - v5

JamDav1982

2 years before, in 2000, they won the CL. When you win the CL 2 times in 4 years it means you are dominating Europe.

In 2000 Real finished 5th in the league.

Yip and not the best team in the world if not even near the best in their own country.

You are backing up what I am saying.

JamDav1982

No I'm not, everyone knows that Real were the best team in the world during that period. They had world class players in every position.

They gave up the league basically to focus on CL.

That is not proving yourself as the best in the world.

Again why do you put so much importance on CL in comparison to the domestic league when comparing two teams from the same country?

Stoichkov1

They gave up the league basically to focus on CL.

That is not proving yourself as the best in the world.

Again why do you put so much importance on CL in comparison to the domestic league when comparing two teams from the same country?

Because a team that wins against the best team in the world in the most important matches is the best team in the world. You have two teams:

-Real that in the last years dominates against Bayern, Atletico etc. but fails over and over again against Barca;

-Barca that in the last years dominates against Real but fails against Atletico, Juve etc.

I have no idea why you would choose a team that is only able to defeat one team when you have a team that is able to defeat 99% of the teams in the world except one.

JamDav1982

Because a team that wins against the best team in the world in the most important matches is the best team in the world. You have two teams:

-Real that in the last years dominates against Bayern, Atletico etc. but fails over and over again against Barca;

-Barca that in the last years dominates against Real but fails against Atletico, Juve etc.

I have no idea why you would choose a team that is only able to defeat one team when you have a team that is able to defeat 99% of the teams in the world except one.

So Real are better against the top sides in comparison to Barca?

Of course the league is the better barometer and that is why managers across the world judge it as so.

Stoichkov1

So Real are better against the top sides in comparison to Barca?

Of course the league is the better barometer and that is why managers across the world judge it as so.

No it isn't. Again, in the history of football there have been countless teams that won the CL and at the same time failed to win their league.

If you had to choose "the best team in the world" in a year would you choose a CL winner team or a random league winner?

JamDav1982

No it isn't. Again, in the history of football there have been countless teams that won the CL and at the same time failed to win their league.

If you had to choose "the best team in the world" would you choose a CL winner team or a random league winner?

It is and it is why managers treat it as so.

"You know where you are, as Real Madrid coach, you know the expectations are very high," Zidane said. "I like that, I lived it as a player, I won everything with this club, with this jersey, but to win La Liga as coach is different, it is the maximum.

"Being first after 38 games, for me it is the happiest day of my professional life, for sure. When the season starts you think the most important day to day is La Liga. So there are no words to describe it. Inside I am very, very happy."

Zidane said it after they won last season.

Stoichkov1

It is and it is why managers treat it as so.

"You know where you are, as Real Madrid coach, you know the expectations are very high," Zidane said. "I like that, I lived it as a player, I won everything with this club, with this jersey, but to win La Liga as coach is different, it is the maximum.

"Being first after 38 games, for me it is the happiest day of my professional life, for sure. When the season starts you think the most important day to day is La Liga. So there are no words to describe it. Inside I am very, very happy."

Zidane said it after they won last season.

Yeah and I'm sure you could find a different quote after he won the CL. Every manager and player rates the CL higher than the league.

JamDav1982

Yeah and I'm sure you could find a different quote after he won the CL. Every manager and player rates the CL higher than the league.

Go find one then.

Just about every manager will state the domestic league is the barometer for best team in the country.

Tell me the last time a team won a league but were not the best in the country that season?

I agree the CL is more headline grabbing to win and more prestigious in a lot of ways but they all see the league as being the true leveller as to who is the best team in that country.

Stoichkov1

Go find one then.

Just about every manager will state the domestic league is the barometer for best team in the country.

Tell me the last time a team won a league but were not the best in the country that season?

Milan in 2005 was probably the best team in the world and finished second in the league. Or real 2006/07, barcelona had the better team but failed to win the league.

And anyway I wasn't talking about the best team in the country, but about the best team in the world.

JamDav1982

Milan in 2005 was probably the best team in the world and finished second in the league. Or real 2006/07, barcelona had the better team but failed to win the league.

And anyway I wasn't talking about the best team in the league, but about the best team in the world.

Nope if dont win your league cant call yourself the best team in the country.

So you think Real can be not the best team in their country but the best team in the world?

Stoichkov1

Nope if dont win your league cant call yourself the best team in the country.

So you think Real can be not the best team in their country but the best team in the world?

You're still refusing to answer my initial question by asking me other questions.

In a season where a team wins the CL but fails to win the league, which is the best team in the world?

JamDav1982

You're still refusing to answer my initial question by asking me other questions.

In a season where a team wins the CL but fails to win the league, which is the best team in the world?

Question doesnt make sense.

If there are two teams in same league and one wins domestic league and other wins the CL it would be the one who won the league. Proven it across more games in a less random tournament that has less scope for being affected by refereeing decisions, luck, form etc.

Stoichkov1

Question doesnt make sense.

If there are two teams in same league and one wins domestic league and other wins the CL it would be the one who won the league. Proven it across more games in a less random tournament that has less scope for being affected by refereeing decisions, luck, form etc.

So you think Manchester City was the best team in the world in 2012?

Home of Barca Fans