10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Judoman

The key question is which midfield player we need in order to improve MF/creativity/control/balance. Personaly, i can t see realistic WC options, that would make an instant impact on our game.

behindbrowneyes

The key question is which midfield player we need in order to improve MF/creativity/control/balance. Personaly, i can t see realistic WC options, that would make an instant impact on our game.

In the short-term it will be Coutinho with Busquets and Rakitic. It is yet to be seen if this works as Coutinho played very attacking so far but he did play C(A)M for Liverpool and I'm sure he can do it at Barcelona. He is the one in midfield who has to offer creativity as I don't expect much from Rakitic in that aspect. Nobody knows about Arthur. Next season comes too early for him. He'll likely join in winter and will need time for integration and still will have to prove that he is good enough on that level.

I'd say the creativity for next season is already in the squad. Coutinho and Dembélé with Griezmann probably joining too. The link-up between midfield and attack has to become more fluid which should be doable with Coutinho, Griezmann, Messi and Dembélé. I don't see a place for Suárez apart from the being more or less an impact sub. Our current attack is pretty much isolated from midfield and Suárez is one of the reasons.

eaman

I fear we are severely hampered by how little defensive work Messi does.

Does Ronaldo do alot of defensive work? No is the answer. The problem last night was the midfield didn't give the defense much cover and the midfield couldn't keep the ball long enough to hurt Roma. Messi closes down players in and around his area. He shouldn't have to come back to his own half and run around tracking midfielders

Hardy

Griezmann and Coutinho are not enough, this team can't afford anymore 4-5 static players all in the same pitch, someone in that fucking board need to realize this basic thing, we'll never win CL again with such poor physical impact on the pitch, football has changed.

Neymessi

need a manager/midfield before anything else though. we had both messi AND neymar in 16-17 and did fuck all in away games.

Can't disagree with that just saying people didn't realize neymar's importance and when he used to try and create chances people used to bash him for being so risky whereas without him no one tries or is able to create shit apart from messi.

FCBfan22

Can't disagree with that just saying people didn't realize neymar's importance and when he used to try and create chances people used to bash him for being so risky whereas without him no one tries or is able to create shit apart from messi.

We could easily overcome that yesterday if Dembele had started. We need another similar option on the left though, instead of Luis "First touch of a Rapist" Suarez.

Flavius

Goals scored when their teams are losing in the Champions League -
🇦🇷 Lionel Messi - 4️⃣
🇵🇹 Cristiano Ronaldo - 2️⃣2️⃣

Goals scored in the last 10 Champions League quarter-finals -
🇦🇷 Lionel Messi - 0️⃣
🇵🇹 Cristiano Ronaldo - 1️⃣4️⃣

Sure Real had the better team in the last years...tho

Icarium

Lifestealer
Messi was horrible in CL Knockout stages last three seasons. No excuses. But the blame is not just on him. It is the entire squad. They are also useless without Messi.

Calidad

Goals scored when their teams are losing in the Champions League -
🇦🇷 Lionel Messi - 4️⃣
🇵🇹 Cristiano Ronaldo - 2️⃣2️⃣

Goals scored in the last 10 Champions League quarter-finals -
🇦🇷 Lionel Messi - 0️⃣
🇵🇹 Cristiano Ronaldo - 1️⃣4️⃣

Sure Real had the better team in the last years...tho

It’s easy to twist stats though.

What about R16, Semi’s or Finals?

eaman

Yes but Ronaldo is a fox in the box who only really scores goal these days. He wouldn't do much with this Barca team. He is lucky he has pacy players with good ability to find him with crosses passes. If our fox in the box Suarez was at real all those years I'm sure he would have scored many of those types of goals. All Ronaldo really does is lay the ball off and wait for the service whereas Messi has alot more to do. If Messi just made runs all day the service would not really come as often but maybe he might get a few more goals. But who wants to watch the best just be a fox in the box. We might have beaten juventus last year if players had finished Messis clear chances created

serghei

The last time a Barça player other than Lionel Messi scored away from home in the Champions League was 560 days ago (Piqué against Gladbach in 2016) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SPEECHLESS!

Messi has 1 goal this season. And that was after a gift from Chelsea.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

Messi is just not a leader. He is too withdrawn and his body language is too poor in many of the top European matches. At least try and talk to the team or show some emotion or try to do something to change the outcome. Walking around the pitch when your team is getting spanked is a bad show particularly in big matches. This is the one and only thing that seperates him from the likes of Maradona, it’s not always about winning it’s also about leaving it all on the pitch and one of the reasons why Maradona was so beloved in Argentina (it was his ability to carry a team on his back with average players). He doesn’t take charge the way he should when his team is being overwhelmed and I fear we’ll see the same with a mediocre Argentine team as well.

Last edited:

Hardy

perception about him is not the same anymore, we are barca fan, we see every single match so we know that he has some excuses, neutral people doesn't give a fuck of that, i read tons of people in the last hours say that he's a fraud and only capable to make difference in CL with dominant teams, this is the narrative is starting after all these failures. Only one thing can change this shit but we know will never happen.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I often criticize Messi for the perceived lack of off the ball movement, interest, motivation etc., but those people who went as far as calling him a fraud are just stupid and pathetic. Not even the best players can consistently deliver on all occasions, be it Messi or Ronaldo or Pele or Maradona. That went toooo far.

One day after our humiliating defeat a bunch of people with different motives calling names does not just make it so.

Home of Barca Fans