10 - Lionel Messi - v5

Stoichkov1

Both rely on team mates to get the best out of them like every player ever has.

Messi has had the best midfield ever and part of best attacking trio ever throughout most his time at Barca and Ronaldo has had some great player as well.

Messi and those team mates have consistently been the better side domestically and in head to heads with likes of Atletico and Real but then dissapear in CL. The Barca team this year and previous 6 have been more than good enough to win the CL.

Cant really claim Messi had no chance to influence this Roma tie when he had 12 attempts on target and never looked like improving or lifting the team in anyway when struggling in second leg.

I bet Ronaldo scores that Messi chance at end of game on Tuesday. I bet Messi scores in in La Liga but for whatever reason he and the team have been nowhere near good enough at this stage more often than not.

Valverde was horrific in his approach to the game but there comes a point where Messi and the other players take some responsibility in games like that and none of them did.

If Real get eliminated or are poor in La Liga Ronaldo will get the most focus if he is as shit as the rest of them. It is just the way it is. The best players get the most credit and most scrutiny.

Real created more chances against Juve without Ronaldo than we did against Roma.

Varane hit the post and Buffon had to make some saves.

We created nothing against Chelsea away and Messi was involved in all 3 goals at home and against Roma we scored thanks to 2 own goals.

Real is dependent on Ronaldo in CL, not in the league while Barca is dependent on Messi both in the league and in CL as it's proved by stats.

No team in the world has one player who scores the most goals in the team, gives the most assists and creates more chances than anyone else during a season.

Barcelona are nowhere near good enough to play fast paced matches like the one yesterday between Juve and Real. Our players crumble if the opponent press our defenders like it happened yesterday or in the first half against Real in December.

Just checked UEFA statistics and Real ran almost 112km while Juve ran 120km while we ran about 100-102 against Roma.

It's quite obvious our players can't mantain the same intensity compared to the players of other top teams in the world because they're too weak and slow physically.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Real created more chances against Juve without Ronaldo than we did against Roma.

We created nothing against Chelsea away and Messi was involved in all 3 goals at home and against Roma we scored thanks to 2 own goals.

Real is dependent on Ronaldo in CL, not in the league while Barca is dependent on Messi both in the league and in CL as it's proved by stats.

No team in the world has one player who scores the most goals in the team, gives the most assists and creates more chances than anyone else during a season.

Barcelona are nowhere near good enough to play fast paced matches like the one yesterday between Juve and Real. Our players crumble if the opponent press our defenders like it happened yesterday or in the first half against Real in December.

Just checked UEFA statistics and Real ran almost 112km while Juve ran 120km while we ran about 100-102 against Roma.

It's quite obvious our players can't mantain the same intensity compared to the players of other top teams in the world because they're too weak and slow physically.

Dont know what any of that is in reponse to.

Judoman

Ronaldo is the only consistent goal scoring threat Madrid have.

I know we're supposed to hate Madrid and Ronaldo, but seriously, take the blinders off once in a while.

Madrid wouldn't come close to sniffing the CL without him.

Of course he is, that s not the point. The point is this:

Replace him for any other WC player (except Messi) with similar profile and Real still has the best team. By far.

If you don t agree, please explain who has better players than Madrid. Most of their bench players would walk in to our starting 11.

Stoichkov1

Dont know what any of that is in reponse to.

In response to your claim that Real doesn't have a better team than Barca just because we win against them in the league and that Real is as dependent on Ronaldo as Barca is on Messi.

We crumble in CL not because our players shit their pants but because we're not good enough to play in these fast paced matches where our weak and slow players are exposed.

JamDav1982

In response to your claim that Real doesn't have a better team than Barca just because we win against them in the league and that Real is as dependent on Ronaldo as Barca is on Messi.

We crumble in CL not because our players shit their pants but because we're not good enough to play in these fast paced matches where our weak and slow players are exposed.

No your claim falls down as it assumes that likes of Atletico up their pace in CL and have not worked out how to stop Barca domestically and that Barca can beat better teams than Roma but then Roma play so fast that Barca cant cope.

Ronaldo delivered. Messi like rest of Barca team didnt and Messi had the chances to impact tie.

Barca scored 4 that Messi had no direct impact on even if two were og. Real did not score one goal that Ronaldo did not have an impact on.

Both had around the same number of attempts etc.

You have said Barca have had a better team than Real in two of the previous three seasons and said in debate few months ago Barca have been better this season.

Stoichkov1

No your claim falls down as it assumes that likes of Atletico up their pace in CL and have not worked out how to stop Barca domestically and that Barca can beat better teams than Roma but then Roma play so fast that Barca cant cope.

Ronaldo delivered. Messi like rest of Barca team didnt and Messi had the chances to impact tie.

Barca scored 4 that Messi had no direct impact on even if two were og. Real did not score one goal that Ronaldo did not have an impact on.

Both had around the same number of attempts etc.

You have said Barca have had a better team than Real in two of the previous three seasons and said in debate few months ago Barca have been better this season.

Maybe because it's true. Teams run more in CL than in the league and show more intensity as distance covered and number of fouls and yellows prove.

You can watch the clasico in December and this match and notice that this match was played faster and with more intensity.

Barca is more dependent on Messi as he's the player who scores more goals, gives more assists and creates more chances in the team while at Real Ronaldo is the one who scores more goals, but plenty of players give more assists than him and create more than him(as it's expected, Ronaldo has now become a striker and his job is to score goals).

Our players are old enough and there's no reason to believe that people like Iniesta or Messi or Piqué who have been playing in CL for more than 10 years shit their pants in this competition.

JamDav1982

Maybe because it's true. Teams run more in CL than in the league and show more intensity as distance covered and number of fouls and yellows prove.

You can watch the clasico in December and this match and notice that this match was played faster and with more intensity.

Barca is more dependent on Messi as he's the player who scores more goals, gives more assists and creates more chances in the team while at Real Ronaldo is the one who scores more goals, but plenty of players give more assists than him and create more than him(as it's expected, Ronaldo has now become a striker and his job is to score goals).

Our players are old enough and there's no reason to believe that people like Iniesta or Messi or Piqué who have been playing in CL for more than 10 years shit their pants in this competitions.

No it is not true that Atletico have worked out how to beat Barca and only apply it in the CL or that Barca can beat likes of Real and Atletico and struggle vs Juve, Roma and Atletico in CL due to teams running more.

The argument that Barca are more reliant on Messi falls down if he is not producing and Ronaldo is.

Across the two games Messi and Ronaldo had around the same number of attempts, key passes etc.

Real could not score a single goal Ronaldo not scoring or assisting. Barca scored four that Messi was was not directly involved in. Even if two were ogs.

There is no argument whatsoever that Ronaldo delivered in this tie more than Messi did and Real relied on him more than Barca on Messi.

Stoichkov1

No it is not true that Atletico have worked out how to beat Barca and only apply it in the CL or that Barca can beat likes of Real and Atletico and struggle vs Juve, Roma and Atletico in CL due to teams running more.

The argument that Barca are more reliant on Messi falls down if he is not producing and Ronaldo is.

Across the two games Messi and Ronaldo had around the same number of attempts, key passes etc.

Real could not score a single goal Ronaldo not scoring or assisting. Barca scored four that Messi was was not directly involved in. Even if two were ogs.

There is no argument whatsoever that Ronaldo delivered in this tie more than Messi did and Real relied on him more than Barca on Messi.

So what is the reason? Some players who have been playing more than 10 years in this competition suddenly shit their pants?

Messi was involved heavily in Piqué's goal and the first two were own goals.

I agree that Ronaldo relies heavily on Ronaldo in CL as Barca relies on Messi and that Messi didn't deliver in this tie but I'm talking about the matches in all competitions.

Barca relies more on Messi as stats prove(top creator, scorer and assister vs top scorer).

JamDav1982

So what is the reason? Some players who have been playing more than 10 years in this competition suddenly shit their pants?

Messi was involved heavily in Piqué's goal and the first two were own goals.

I agree that Ronaldo relies heavily on Ronaldo in CL as Barca relies on Messi and that Messi didn't deliver in this tie but I'm talking about the matches in all competitions.

Barca relies more on Messi as stats prove(top creator, scorer and assister vs top scorer).

Barca have not relied on Messi anywhere close to Real have with Ronaldo in CL and Messi like rest of team has not been delivering.

On that basis both are relied on in CL and one is delivering far more than other.

Real couldnt score without Ronaldo vs Juve Barca could four times even if two ogs.

Messi and Ronaldo had around the same number of attempts over the two legs and around same number of 'key passes'.

Barca rely more on Messi domestically and if claim still rely on him in CL then he has not been delivering while Ronaldo has at these stages.

BBZ8800

"Euros with Portugal".
Let's pretend that it's the not the worst campaign by any Euro winner in the history of football.

Let's pretend Ronaldo played the same way for Portugal as he did for RM.

Let's pretend Manchester United didn't reach CL final after he left.

Let's pretend this Barca team will win CL if you replace Messi with Ronaldo.

I love Barca, Messi and everything, but when we are not good and when we screwed big time, and again, for me, this is the most painful and the most dumbest CL defeat since 2005, I will say it and I will attack all of our players if needed.
For the record, I need to add that I am CL-biased.
I don't care THAT much about La liga (I mean, I do want that we win it, but still, in my eyes, La Liga is nowhere even close to a CL).
I am watching Barca's La liga matches each weekend, but for me, the whole preseason, season and all transfers sagas are just an introduction to the most important part of a season: CL knockout rounds in March, April and May.

For me personally, CL alone is way more important than La Liga+CDR+Spanish Supercup+Euro supercup+World club championship.
CL is THE ONLY tournament out there where ALL big boys are playing and where everyone plays with 120%.

Further, a lot of our fans act so childish, like:
1. Portugal was lucky, whine whine whine
Euros were bad
Cr7 didn't play, blah blah
2. Real was lucky in last CLs, blah blah

Now, sit down, breathe deeply and remember:
1. 1992: our first ever CL title:
In the 2nd round (16 teams left, knockout matches), we played against Kaiserslautern from Germany.
In the first home match, we won 2:0.
In the 2nd leg, we were losing 0:3 in the 78'th minute and we were on a verge of elimination (as always).
Bakero scored a goal for 3:1 in the 90th minute after a set piece.
So, we were on a verge of elimination in the round of 16, and were saved by a lucky goal in the 90th minute:
** btw, Barca conceding easy goals after corners due to short players, as always. The same old story for 30 years in a row.

Further, in a final, we won 1:0 against Sampdoria with Koeman's free kick goal in extra time.
So, you can't call a year 1992 of a year where we actually dominated.
We were lucky in early rounds, and we won in a final with a free kick goal.

So, that title is the same as all RM's or Portugal's titles.

2. a year 2006, our 2nd CL ever. Messi was a teen then.
Against Chelsea, we were gifted a slightly too harsh red card on Messi.
Without that red card, who knows whether we would ever break "Barca's CL's curse" that year.

In a final, we were somewhat gifted a red card for Arsenal's keeper, to some extent.
It could have been a yellow card and a pen, easily.
If I am not mistaken, that kind of "a double punishment" (a pen and a red card) is not an option anymore in football.

3. a year 2009, Chelsea:Barca. Uefalona, a few penalties forgiven and Barca scoring a lucky goal, from our only shot on goal in the 93rd minute.
So, a help from refs, huge injustice if we want to be honest, and an insanely lucky goal in the dying seconds.

So, you see, when I am reading some posts here, I may get an impression how Barca won all CL titles with winning 12:0 on aggreggate, and how we were never lucky, how we never scored late lucky goals or how refs or a draw were never on our side.
On the other hand, RM is "always" lucky, with easy draws, lucky goals, opponents who are choking, Euros who are the worst Euros ever etc.

I will not go deeper now and say who is luckier, we or RM, but the point is:
1. both Barca and Real are extremely lucky sometimes with late goals, a help from a ref, gifted red cards for opponents and similar
2. both Barca and Real are sometimes unlucky for 100s of different reasons

So, imo, these stories how everything what RM, CR7 or Portugal achieved is luck, a weak tournament and similar are just childish or cule-based replies.
If you want to be objective and remove Real-Barca glasses, then the situation is NOT as black and white as it seems in some posts here.

BBZ8800 you can't give champions league ten points and la liga only 3. La liga proves who is on form throughout the year not just a couple of months near the end. Sometimes you don't get as many tough games in the champions league as la liga e.g real Madrids run in 2016. Sometimes it's about form at a particular time of year in the champions league. Remember Barca can't stop beating atletico in the league and beating them to titles but lose two champions league ties to them. I think one or even the two were after the front 3 had tough south American world cup qualifiers. Champions league is a knockout competition and the best don't always win those. And if you're giving 20 points for the world cup then Messi deserves 15 for getting to the final

For the beginning, I AM BARCA's FAN, but...
Some things need to be said.
I said a lot of times on different threads that La Liga and a CL are different competitions, both with some pros and cons.

For example, La Liga:
1. you need to be consistent over 9 Months
2. you need to find a way how to beat inferior teams regularly
3. but also, there is no "sudden death" threat in La Liga. There is not THAT MUCH pressure.
For example, if you play a round 10 against Betis and you lose 2:3 at home, who cares?
You are not dead, you are not KO'd.
You will need to play better in the next rounds and you will neutralize that defeat.
Also, if you play El classico and lose 0:3, so what? You can still be a champion.
Also, the dumbest thing: you can lose BOTH El Classicos, and lose majority of matches against Real, Atletico and Sevilla and STILL end as a champion, because you were better in matches against small teams and you made less mistakes.
This is why I would describe La liga as: a competition without too much pressure, without a sudden death, a competition where mistakes are allowed and not deadly, and where a champion is a team who will make LESS mistakes over 9 Months.

In a CL, on the other hand:
1. sudden death is always there.
If you lose 0:3 against Roma, you are out and dead.
You won't get a new chance 7 days later against Leganes to fix the mistakes from the previous round.
Also, in a CL knockout rounds, you don't play against Leganes and Getafe. And more or less: ALL matches are against big boys.
So, in La Liga: you can lose against RM and AM, but win all matches against Getafe, Levante and Las Palmas and still be a champion.
You can't do that in a CL.
If you play against AM and if you lose against AM, you are dead. You can't be a champion. Again, unlike in La Liga, where you can be a champion even if you lose against big boys and regardless of how many times you slip during a season.

This is why for a CL knockout rounds, you need way better mental strength and there is no room for a mistake.
When a match starts, there is always a possibility hanging above your head that in 90 minutes you will be out and that a season is over.
That never happens in La liga...

I have wrote a similar comparison in Pep's thread.
Look at him.
It is clear as a day that he has found a winning formula HOW to win La Liga or league championships.
He found a way how to bully Getafe, Stoke and other teams and how to create a 10 points advantage.
On the other hand, when it comes to a CL knockout rounds, majority of Pep's teams turn into chokers and they lose more or less every knockout match.
Last year they conceded 6 goals, this year they conceded 5.
Or look at Barca's last 6 CL exists in away matches:
2012: Chelsea 0:1
2013: Bayern 0:4
2014: Atletico 0:1
2016: Atletico 0:2
2017: Juventus 0:3
2018: Roma 0:3

Our last 6 CL exits in away matches:
6 matches, 6 defeats.
Goals ratio 0:14

Do you know how many goals Barca scored in these 6 exits?
= 0
Do you know how many goals Messi scored in these 6 exits?
= 0

So, my idea is that Barca and our players are better at playing La Liga, we have a better formula against smaller La liga teams than Real, we are more consistent, and we play better when there is not too much pressure above our heads.
On the other hand, Real is weaker than us against smaller teams, but they are way better than us against European big boys in a CL, plus they cope way better under "sudden death" pressure above their heads.

So, both competitions have some pros and cons.
But at the end of a day:
Barca and Messi can't win against big boys in the last 7 years (except in 1 year).
Barca and Messi have huge problems in matches where a sudden death is possible.
Real have better mental strength in this moment to cope with pressure.

Remember Barca can't stop beating atletico in the league and beating them to titles but lose two champions league ties to them.

Again, if you think about it, maybe it is not a coincidence?
Barca will win in La Liga when there is no "sudden death" threat.
We are confident in those circumstances, because we will win over 38 rounds.

When there is a sudden death involved, we are lost and play like frightened kids and are eaten alive by AM's thugs.
On the other hand, RM plays like a crap against AM in LA Liga, but win easily in a sudden death match.
Interesting, right?

Also, the same as City and Pep's Bayern, right?
They are world class in league, when there is no sudden death.
City won 5:0 against Liverpool when there is no sudden death involved.
But when it comes to a CL knockout match, City suddenly plays like a team of frightened kids.
While Klopp's teams again suck in league, but play like monsters in knockout matches.

Liverpool is the same as Real.
Not consistent against small league opponents.
But, in the knockout rounds, they play like lions and they can KO anyone.

On the other hand, City and Barca are masters at winning against smaller teams.
But when it comes to playing 2 matches against big boys, we are neutralized by almost anyone.
Come on, we are not even losing losing to Bayern.
We lost to fckng Roma this time.
A team who hasn't reached a CL semis for 30 years.

Well, RM is creating more because they are NOT one dimensional like Barca.
In La liga, majority of opponents are of Mickey Mouse level and Barca will just bully them on possession and technique, like Pep's City in EPL.
So, for La liga, being one dimensional is NOT a bad thing, as long as you are awesome in that one trick which you are doing (possession, shortpasses, technique).
This is why Barca is good enough for La liga.

In a CL, proven times and times over and over, one dimensional possession based teams don't win anymore.
Anyone can stop our play: AM, Juve, PSG, Chelsea, fckng Roma lol.

Why is Barca creating less chances for years?
Because the opponents crowd the middle and we don't have any other solutions due to short players who can only play shortpasses through the middle.

And then, you have Real and even Roma (omg), who can play both a possession football and crosses (if they can't break the opponent through the middle).
And then these teams are creating chances easily.
Or way more easily than we are, who play like a one trick pony for the last 10 years.

So, it is hard to answer: whether Rm's players are creating more chances for CR7 because they are that good, or simply: because they are not as dumb as Barca and City who play their one trick pony game and then they struggle in all away matches in CL knockout rounds.

When Barca can't do anything through the middle, our Plan B is:
= well, just try to repeat the same thing 20 more time and hope that something will change
When Real, Juve, Roma and others can't break through the middle:
= they will just cross and create all sorts of dangers in the opponents box, especially against City and Barca, two teams with the shortest players in the world.

But anyway, this is Messi's thread, this is not a place for this debate.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Barca have not relied on Messi anywhere close to Real have with Ronaldo in CL and Messi like rest of team has not been delivering.

On that basis both are relied on in CL and one is delivering far more than other.

Real couldnt score without Ronaldo vs Juve Barca could four times even if two ogs.

Messi and Ronaldo had around the same number of attempts over the two legs and around same number of 'key passes'.

Barca rely more on Messi domestically and if claim still rely on him in CL then he has not been delivering while Ronaldo has at these stages.

You just ignored my question.

Why Barca's aggregate score in away UCL matches is 1 goal scored and 13 conceded? Do our players who have been playing in CL shit their pants or are not good enough?

Barca rely always on Messi while Real rely on Ronaldo in UCL and 2 matches against Roma and Juve don't prove anything. Our top scorers in CL this season are Messi with 6 goals and own goal with 5, absolutely ridiculous. There aren't only knockout matches in CL, there are also group stage and Messi delivered against Chelsea anyway.

Messi creates more chances, scores more goals and gives more assists than anyone in the team in all competitions. It's quite obvious that Barca is a worse team if they rely so much on a player while Real can rest Ronaldo now and they will still score in the league.

JamDav1982

You just ignored my question.

Why Barca's aggregate score in away UCL matches is 1 goal scored and 13 conceded? Do our players who have been playing in CL shit their pants or are not good enough?

Barca rely always on Messi while Real rely on Ronaldo in UCL and 2 matches against Roma and Juve don't prove anything. Our top scorers in CL this season are Messi with 6 goals and own goal with 5, absolutely ridiculous. There aren't only knockout matches in CL, there are also group stage and Messi delivered against Chelsea anyway.

Messi creates more chances, scores more goals and gives more assists than anyone in the team in all competitions. It's quite obvious that Barca is a worse team if they rely so much on a player while Real can rest Ronaldo now and they will still score in the league.

Because the whole team Messi included has been shite in those games for most part and level drops dramatically.

Have looked at your claims that Messi is a one man - top goals, assists etc. Not the case.

Last three seasons -

2017/18
Ronaldo top scorer and assists for Real in CL
Messi top scorer. Suarez top assists.

2016/17
Messi top scorer. Neymar top assists.

2015/16
Ronaldo top scorer and assists for Real in CL.
Messi neither top scorer or assists for Barca.

If you want to look at % og goals Ronaldo is scoring/assisting on it gets even worse for Messi.

Messi did deliver v Chelsea. He was more decisive than Ronaldo v PSG in that tie.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Because the whole team Messi included has been shite in those games for most part and level drops dramatically.

Have looked at your claims that Messi is a one man - top goals, assists etc. Not the case.

Last three seasons -

2017/18
Messi top scorer. Suarez top assists.

2016/17
Messi top scorer. Neymar top assists.

2015/16
Ronaldo top scorer and assists for Real in CL.
Messi neither top scorer or assists for Barca.

If you want to look at % og goals Ronaldo is scoring/assisting on it gets even worse for Messi.

Messi did deliver v Chelsea. He was more decisive than Ronaldo v PSG in that tie.

Yeah and what I'm asking is why you think Messi and Barca have been shit. I refuse to believe it's about the mentality, it's about the fact in CL teams play faster and run more and our players are too weak physically to cope with that pace.

I said 2 times I agree with you Real rely heavily on Ronaldo in CL. I was talking about this season and about all competitions.

BBZ8800

Yeah and what I'm asking is why you think Messi and Barca have been shit.

We are a one trick pony team, who's attacking trick has been figured out and easily neutralized (by European teams) after 2011'.

I will give Messi a credit for that.
A part of a reason why his team is trophyless in a CL for years is because of our outdated tactics for the biggest stage.

We are blinded by good results against La liga minows.

Home of Barca Fans