10 - Lionel Messi - v5

henias

Messi's age is catching up, can see he is trying very hard but he just cannot physically produce what he did years ago. Comparing him with Ronaldo's stature and physique is really no surprise Ronaldo could last so much longer than Messi. Physically he cannot do much and to top it off that destroys his confidence even more and no doubt his mentality will take a serious toll.

His career is just cursed with Argentina and with the look of this team it isnt going to help him any better, physically or mentally. Anyone will seriously crumble in Messi's shoes, really.

Agree that he shouldn't miss that penalty but that goal by Iceland just makes it so much harder for him to produce another goal against this tough side. It just gets into his head at times.

gatsu

Messi doesnt move that much and stands in the most congested areas that is reason he has so many men close to him.

On the ocassions today he didnt he had nothing when running at them.

Agree 100%. That is why when he isnt at 100% he becomes more of a liability.

Caps

I get what everyone is saying about him having to take blame, and how he cant handle pressure (he cant).

The comments I'm taking issue with are the ones venomously calling him a 'fucking choker', telling him to retire and being outright nasty. Theres just no need. And after everything he has given the game of football, its out of order. I say it again- shame.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi deserves to get slaughtered after this abysmal performance today. One can only hope that this pressure does not break him but break him free and he will get better and better and lead Argentina to greater things after this.

BBZ8800

I feel sorry for him. 3 players around him all the time, literally no space to shoot and missing a penalty. Him and WC is a very difficult relationship.

But HE is causing that (3 defenders on him).
Just how Pep's football is causing the opponents to park the bus against you (what else can they do?).

Messi is dropping deep all the time.
And then tries to play through the middle EVERY SINGLE time, with zero variations.
All the opponents know what he will try to do.
Also, all the opponents KNOW that all teammates will try those predictable one-twos at the edge of the box and pass the ball back to Messi, who will try to shoot ONLY from the edge of a box.
Also, whenever the ball is on the wings, Barca's and Arg's opponents know that nothing will happen and wingers will just pass the ball back at the edge of a box where Messi is waiting.

So, basically, if you tomorrow play against Barca or Argentina, you will know that:
1. 90% of passes will go to Messi
2. when the ball is around the box, in 90% of cases you don't need to mark other players heavily since they will usually pass the ball back to Messi
3. if you man mark Messi with 3-4 opponents, unless if he does some crazy magic, or unless if someone else tries a shot here and there (that rarely happens, lol), you will be fine.
Plus, when you get the ball, just play a few deadly counters since Barca/Arg will have 10 players around your box.

Over 2 legs, you will probably knock them out.

Does this recipe sounds like a coincidence anymore?

A million dollar question: how will Croatia/Nigeria play against Argentina?
= they will man mark Messi with 2-3-4 players and try to kill them on counters and set pieces
Other Argie players won't do too much probably, they will just look for Messi all the time.
Mark him, counter them and voila.

Givenchy

I get what everyone is saying about him having to take blame, and how he cant handle pressure (he cant).

The comments I'm taking issue with are the ones venomously calling him a 'fucking choker', telling him to retire and being outright nasty. Theres just no need. And after everything he has given the game of football, its out of order. I say it again- shame.

they should be banned straight up @mods. some people posting pure aids on here lately

blaugrana1987

Yes, here where I am as well.
I fucking hate this, I am totally mad about it, but goddamit he has his faults in it!

Like today with the penalty, fucking hell.

Not only his fault...You had people having laugh at Messi on his tax evasion case and literally making no fuss about much worse one. Its same with Real and Barca, people are def hating on Barca more.

Home of Barca Fans