10 - Lionel Messi - v5

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
the quote isn't a reference to skip bayless is it? :lol: man the US vitriol of GOAT and social media flip flopping has truly ruined sports. lebron got praised to hell and back for his 50 points in game 1 and then got slaughtered for quitting next 3 games. it's comical at times.

It wasn't intentional :lol:

Agree with you on that though.

gatsu

Yes he played with clueless players, yes sampaoli has been garbage. But to not show any leadership or motivation is inacceptable. This the first time I am angry with Messi. He will lose a lot of fans after thoses 2 matchs.

What an awfull way to play your last WC.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Formation was completely different by that point, and Messi got a lot more involved once those changes were made as well.

Mostly because, as always, he dropped to the halfway line and tried to create everything from scratch.

Formation wasnt different and those players showed better movement and got ball more.#

Messi didnt start dropping deep and helping to dictate or get on ball regularly at any point during the game.

Much2soon

After the two Copa America disasters they should’ve been able to incorporate players like Dybala, Icardi, Paredes, and Lo Celso into the squad but nope, they stuck with the old guard.

Ripsta

Yeah never would have thought that after 2015.. To try and look at it positively, with the narrative shifting towards Ronaldo, Messi has it all to prove now if he's going to be seen as the best of this generation, maybe(hopefully) that will light a fire in him.

Doubt it, after 2015 you'd think he'd have stepped it up, two more Ballon d'Or's later and another Real CL win and he's starting down the barrell. Immensely talented player with one of the highest peaks ever, but he's lightyear behind Ronaldo in terms of mentality. Ronaldo doesn't hide when things aren't doing his way, Messi does it, and he does it so subtly that everyone blames his team mates.

Turning more and more into the ultimate bottle job, Higuain effect?

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Been a huge Messi fan, but I'm starting to question if he is better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo seems to be on a whole different level and at the age he is as well. I'm saying Ronaldo > Messi in the goat status, first time in my life I am saying this.

Did you watch him the first half of last season. CR's squad helps him a lot at the club level. The only national success he's had was done without him in the final.

raedkuwait

Been a huge Messi fan, but I'm starting to question if he is better than Ronaldo. Ronaldo seems to be on a whole different level and at the age he is as well. I'm saying Ronaldo > Messi in the goat status, first time in my life I am saying this.
And if portugal dont go through to the next round!? Iran beating them means they dont go through!?

CatalinR10

in that case even if iceland draws against croatia, argentina will be through

Then Argentina goes through.

Iceland will most likely not loose, question is more if theyll win or not.
Iceland will also play a Croatia that is through to next stage already so...

Argentina be through.

That would probably be the most likely scenario, but still quite unlikely. Argentina does not even look capable of beating Nigeria right now.

ok guys , thanks for your answers <3

fergus90

To be quite honest with you, I only care about Messi performing for Barcelona and he's done that to an incredible level for 13 years. In my opinion he's the greatest footballer of all time, didn't need a World Cup for me to think otherwise. He's had many set backs for Argentina and gone on to have incredible seasons.

Neymessi

Most of the time after a bad messi game all you see are people defending messi for pages saying how so many users here give knee-jerk reactions and unjust criticism about messi whereas in actuality hardly one or 2 posters talk stupid shit about messi after his bad match. People are incredibly defensive and sensitive for messi

The criticism he is getting today is all very fair. Horribly static no movement at all and no urgency. Just horrid.

SeloBarca

That is a problem.
Messi over his career has been way way way better than Ronaldo, even Maradona.
But people live in the "now". It doesnt really matter what they have done in the past if they play bad later on.

JamDav1982

Did you watch him the first half of last season. CR's squad helps him a lot at the club level. The only national success he's had was done without him in the final.

Clear as day Barcas squad help Messi far more than people like to make out when see him with Argentina.

Even though Ronaldo didnt play much in that final they would never have been near it without him.

Obiaseti

I can't believe Ronaldo, fucking Ronaldo out of all players at this stage of his career has been outplaying Messi who has out of this world talent.

Ronaldo is criminally underrated by some here, understandably. If you remove the comparisons from Messi he's fantastic on his own right. The thing is he excels at things that aren't particularly attractive or exciting. His positioning, anticipation, and finishing are immense. Mentally the guy's ego pretty much blows any potential nerves out of the water. Now personally I too prefer other aspects of the game but the fact is as far as the end result is concerned goals are what matter and he delivers more often than not at least in the recent past.

Home of Barca Fans