10 - Lionel Messi - v5

SeloBarca

what if nigeria draws tomorrow , then argentina wins vs nigeria and iceland loses vs croatia ?

Then Argentina goes through.

Iceland will most likely not loose, question is more if theyll win or not.
Iceland will also play a Croatia that is through to next stage already so...

fergus90

What I find worrying is it comes across like he doesn't care one bit, and that's happened at crucial moments for Barca too. I feel bad berating him after all the breathtaking things he's done. But that doesn't make him immune to criticism and his lack of passion or emotion is a bit concerning.

Obiaseti

The whole team was bad. People get carried away and overrate the influence of individuals but there is a lot of teamwork and synergy that dictates how these games play out. Messi is no different than other players. He can't carry a team alone. No one can. What he has is an exceptional skill set that he has honed to have maximum impact within a specific framework (specifically Barca's playstyle). This team is a huge mess in terms of personnel, skill, tactics, and discipline. No amount of passion from a single player can overcome their deficiencies. I'm not saying Messi was great. He wasn't. But even at his best, he wouldn't be able to paper over all the holes in this team. Argentine FA needs to rethink their strategy and focus on long-term planning because as a collective unit their players are just not at the level required. It might also be a mental thing with this batch. They should start fresh get younger players and a more progressive manager and start experimenting in preparation for Copa.

ASordidGod

Messi was poor, no doubt, but I must say some of the reactions on here are baffling. I mean I get that you're disappointed, I am too, but to take Messi's failure so personally as to act so hostilely towards him, when as Barca 'fans' we're suppposed to be his biggest supporters is insane. Okay so if you're Argentinian I can understand it, he's a convenient target on whom to unload, something to focus your anger against, but the Barca fans? How short are your memories? Jeez. Like I say, he was poor, he deserves to be crtiticised, but this level of animosity?

Catta

Who cares about Argentina. After the last two world cups Messi had GOAT seasons, and Barca won the CL, lets hope he continues the tradition.

likeafire

Ronaldo has completely smashed the whole debate between him and Messi. Now leading 6-5 in ballon dors, done it on international stage.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If it's all about off the ball movement and making yourself open, then how come Aguero had 7 touches in the entire first half???

Argentina's midfield couldn't move the ball at all. Completely incapable of penetrating. Messi was bad today, but if he didn't go 1 man army from the midfield line then he wouldn't see the ball. That was the only way for him to do anything, and that is patently ineffective at a level like this. Could've been God Mode today, Argentina would've still gotten steamrolled.

D10S91

I will say though, if Argentina goes out in the group stages he shouldn't retire again, that will be a bad look.. Needs to stand up and make it right, at least try and win the next Copa..

Home of Barca Fans