10 - Lionel Messi - v5

JamDav1982

He thinks Portugal are a worse football team than Argentina. I’d tell you to put him on ignore but you’d miss out on some entertainment if you did that.

Go watch the alternative camera angle and produce a boring post about the 'nuances' of how Messi actually played well.

M

MessiCam

I don't see anything changing. Ronaldo will finish career with 8 Balon D'Or and 7 UCL

Put up the Champions League from Quarter Final numbers. Only in 2016/17 did Ronaldo perform consistently. In 15/16 and 17/18 he went missing after quarters. It’s only that 1 year...

Barca83

Banned
I can't believe there are so many people on here who watch Messi play and see how little running he does but then think we should move him back to the right wing next season. I used to think Messi would transition into more of a midfielder but the only positions I can see him capable of playing in the future are False 9 or upfront alongside someone in a two striker system.

JamDav1982

I would mention how 8 out of 11 starters for Argentina have no business in any top division of football, literally Segunda level players (including Mascherano).

But that's only half the story. The tactics and formation were absolutely rubbish by Sampaoli and there is no gameplan on how to attack and move forward, nor any structure to the defense. Look at how Iceland have overperformed in the past 2 tournaments to see how much tactical discipline matters. The cohesion of the team matters and without that, even the very best players cannot make a difference.

It's like if Neymar had played in that 7-1 loss to Germany and everyone started blaming him, despite total systemic collapse.

You keep trying to make this angle that folk are 'blaming Messi' as some straw man argument when no one is really doing that.

Just pointing out how inept Messi was like the rest of the team.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
And Madrid were utter shit in the first half of this year.

Get your pessimistic shite elsewhere.

Yes, because of Rafa. Then Zidane came and made CL his bitch. I would gladly take a CL win instead of La Liga, it’s just more important. I do understand that many do not agree with this.

FCBfan22

I would mention how 8 out of 11 starters for Argentina have no business in any top division of football, literally Segunda level players (including Mascherano).

But that's only half the story. The tactics and formation were absolutely rubbish by Sampaoli and there is no gameplan on how to attack and move forward, nor any structure to the defense. Look at how Iceland have overperformed in the past 2 tournaments to see how much tactical discipline matters. The cohesion of the team matters and without that, even the very best players cannot make a difference.

It's like if Neymar had played in that 7-1 loss to Germany and everyone started blaming him, despite total systemic collapse.

Exactly. A lot is on Messi today, but a lot less than most people make up.

Argentina was inept simply because Sampaoli thought that solely relying on Messi creatively is a good idea. Croatians marked Messi (who was also bad today) with 2 or 3 players and that was it. No hope.

Croatia are a great team Sampaoli fucked up completely.

Last edited:

Barca83

Banned
He thinks Portugal are a worse football team than Argentina. I’d tell you to put him on ignore but you’d miss out on some entertainment if you did that.

Argentina has far better players, with the right manager and tactics they would be better than Portugal

FinBarcelonafan

Yes, Messis teammates suck but why is there on bench DiMaria, Higuian and Dybala? There's some talent to change things if needed. Just try different mix of players.

Judoman

I'm sorry but have you watched football last two years? Ronaldo won Euro, Messi shit. Ronaldo won 2 CL. He was crucial in all those wins while Messi keeps bagging meaningless Copa Del Rey. We need to fucking wake up and fix this team.

Messi is not performing or the team in crucial games, Ronaldo is and Real. They have winners mentality.

No guy, but you obviously have. It s really ironic, you just described yourself. It s apparent, that you (and some other smurfs on the forums)just don t get the logic of team sports.
You still blabbing this notion of 1 on 1 fight, while ignoring the rest of the facts. No use, keep whining and good luck with your short memory span.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
You keep trying to make this angle that folk are 'blaming Messi' as some straw man argument when no one is really doing that.

Just pointing out how inept Messi was like the rest of the team.

Blaming Messi for the performance unilaterally, not just the loss. There was no platform to perform, none. A player needs the support and the right environment to perform, and there was none. Like the 7-0 against Bayern too, he simply had no place to make a difference. Only maybe if he had taken control of the entire midfield as he did vs Iceland, but then people would whine about how he isn't being effective in the final third and not making enough runs to goalscoring positions.

Home of Barca Fans