10 - Lionel Messi - V6

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Hopefully he steps up tonight, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Hasn’t been playing well lately.

neo_wolf

Good that cristiano had a hattrick imo, it will motivate messi even more, i expect him to really push himself.
Messi will show his level by not just getting goals but also dominating with his dribbling, passing and pressure,i expect to see him running tonight.
A masterclass goat performance is coming i bet.
2 goals and 2 assists.

vlad

If you've seen the CL matches, you can see that Messi has been more fired up than in other matches, and I believe he will stay true to what he said at the beginning of the season: That Barca will do everything to bring the CL back to Barcelona. As I said in C.Ronaldo thread, I simply believe Real and Ronaldo found a crazy good and easy strategy of lots of crosses and counter attacks, which is OP in the CL. Ronaldo gets and has gotten a lot of unmarked opportunities at goal this way, which is why he has done so well in recent years. If Messi got as many unmarked chances as Ronaldo has gotten, Messi would do the same or better. It's just that it's easier to defend when you basically ONLY have to worry about balls through the middle. Messi usually has to get through a lot of defenders to even get a shot in the CL, in recent years. Messi is much better than Ronaldo overall, but Ronaldo and Real found an OP tactic for the CL.

Do you think opponent doesnt mark ronaldo same as messi because they want it or its harder to mark ronaldo then messi who is waiting for the ball most of time? How about messi's performances vs atletico in CL? 4 times, all the 4 times didnt had match to remember, you are repeating how is messi better overall then rinaldo, of course he is, but he has to show it on biggest stage, CL, right now ronaldo is quite ahead when it comes to performances in k.o. phase, and you cant put all on bad coach and his teammates, he takes the blame also

ronniecro

i'm not expecting memorable performance tonight,probably gonna be marked heavily and shut down by lyon,he'll get goal or assist in my opinion

El Flaco

Lionel Messi's all 106 Champions League goals in his career

https://vimeo.com/312683618

qPamPGq.png

FCB1987

Banned
Hopefully he steps up tonight, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Hasn’t been playing well lately.

I've been watching some Messi videos from the past few seasons and it worries me how he was playing miles better around February in each of those seasons than he is this season but still not doing well in the knockout stages.

He was doing great through January this campaign but it looks like he may have ruined his and our chances in the Champions League because he thought it was a smart idea to rush back from his injury against Valencia to play 30 minutes of a Copa del Rey match at 50%. He hasn't been the same since then

i_bleed_blaugrana

One of the biggest problems with Messi, in general but particularly in the UCL, is he the chief creater & the chief goal scorer while wonderboy only has to be the chief scorer. At Real, he had Modric & Kroos who were the controllers and creators allowing him to just focus on goals.

I think this will get easier on Messi next season once we have de Jong and Arthur bossing the MF but even in this team, Messi has to create a lot still too. If that load was lessened for him, the numbers in terms of goals in the UCL would be a lot closer.

Bottom line: Messi has had inferior teams, systems and coaches than wonderboy has had over the last 5 years and that alone is why the gap has widened in terms of goal in the UCL.

i_bleed_blaugrana

P.S. Idk how you can call yourself a Barça fan and still doubt Messi. I learned that lesson harshly back in 2014.

Only thing that is valid is he needs to be rested more. That played a huge role in why wonderboy looked so good yesterday and we have to rest Messi more, especially in La Liga post-Atletico match.

Everything else, pretty sure a lot of people will be eating their words calling for another zombie match from him in a few hours from now.

Giginho75

Messi is shit in Chl compared to Ronaldo

What!? Are you joking?

First point: Messi is two years younger than CR7.
Second point: Messi is an all-around striker who plays for the team, not only to score.

CR7 is great (as striker), no doubt, but since four/five years he lives only to score.
If he doesn't score, often his performances are not so brilliant.

Tbh this is a stupid comparison...
different players, different ways of playing.

Mind for Lyon please.

Ripsta

Remember when Messi beat Ronaldo to breaking Raul's goal record? Seems so long ago now.

Messi needs to win this competition a few more times to erase the Ronaldo wankfest from recent memory.

Home of Barca Fans