10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Any quotes from the Barca captain after Liverpool debacle? I am disappointed with him and this apparent hiding.

Should face the music like any team captain must.

Just fucking leave already. He's far too good to be spunking his remaining years away trying to paper over the cracks in the Club. The board should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

I'm afraid the story is not as clear as some.poeple think.
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards believing that Barcelona has made Messi more the player he is that he has made Barcelona. I think looking at Argentina would be a great example of that.
Now, I don't blame Messi for this. And from a marketing perspective, I don't think we can blame the board either
I mean, if you have a player that causes millions of fans to follow the team and become fans, why would you stop that?

On the other hand, we have gotten to the point where we have tried time and time again to rely on a single player that we haven't been capable.of seeing that Messi shinning is not the same as Barca shining.
For a while we have build an entire team around a single player and the results show that that's probably not the way to go.
The best Messi years was when Barca already had a great and balanced team and Messi just came I to the picture, not the other way around.

So our assumption was that building a team around Messi would.make Barca stronger, but maybe we failed to do just that or we did just that but it just never worked out

Im still trying to make sense of how we can get out of a situation that's not the worst case scenario, but will deff bring more pressure as the years go by and we fail to win the CL.
Not winning the CL could be a threat to Barca as a club

BruceWayne11

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards believing that Barcelona has made Messi more the player he is that he has made Barcelona. I think looking at Argentina would be a great example of that.
Now, I don't blame Messi for this. And from a marketing perspective, I don't think we can blame the board either
I mean, if you have a player that causes millions of fans to follow the team and become fans, why would you stop that?

On the other hand, we have gotten to the point where we have tried time and time again to rely on a single player that we haven't been capable.of seeing that Messi shinning is not the same as Barca shining.
For a while we have build an entire team around a single player and the results show that that's probably not the way to go.
The best Messi years was when Barca already had a great and balanced team and Messi just came I to the picture, not the other way around.

So our assumption was that building a team around Messi would.make Barca stronger, but maybe we failed to do just that or we did just that but it just never worked out

Im still trying to make sense of how we can get out of a situation that's not the worst case scenario, but will deff bring more pressure as the years go by and we fail to win the CL.

Think the biggest problem has been that the club hasn't had a really good coach since 2012 with Guardiola. Still, Barca have dominated domestically, which isn't something to take for granted vs Real Madrid and a strong Atletico.

shadows

Well Messi alone isn't a guarantee of being able to win a CL.. You should be in a position to enable his greatness... He cant do what he can in Liga where he has dragged a mediocre squad to titles for quite some years now.. What was needed was a competent coach and above average squad members.. Instead what we did.. We got rid of a Goat Alves, replacement is Sergi Roberto.. Got rid of Xavi.. Replacement now is slower than Busquets... Replaced Iniesta with another DM.. Replaced Villa/Pedro's energy with no one... The only upgrade we have had since Pep left is Suarez in.. Every position including the coach has seen a downgrade. Mostly their tactic has been for every one to give the ball to Messi and hope he can carry us..and in knockout stages that is not going to work...

Think the biggest problem has been that the club hasn't had a really good coach since 2012 with Guardiola. Still, Barca have dominated domestically, which isn't something to take for granted vs Real Madrid and a strong Atletico.

That's another great point
We got Guardiola right, but after that it's been disappointment after disappointment
I guess Luis Enrique was fine for little while, but then everything fell apart.
We have gotten unlucky with the signings as well, especially the most important ones.
It's been a combinations of many things outside our control
You can't control whether a player is gonna adapt or not or whether they will be as good as they were in their previous teams

I guess luck plays a huge factor into winning

Well Messi alone isn't a guarantee of being able to win a CL.. You should be in a position to enable his greatness... He cant do what he can in Liga where he has dragged a mediocre squad to titles for quite some years now.. What was needed was a competent coach and above average squad members.. Instead what we did.. We got rid of a Goat Alves, replacement is Sergi Roberto.. Got rid of Xavi.. Replacement now is slower than Busquets... Replaced Iniesta with another DM.. Replaced Villa/Pedro's energy with no one... The only upgrade we have had since Pep left is Suarez in.. Every position including the coach has seen a downgrade. Mostly their tactic has been for every one to give the ball to Messi and hope he can carry us..and in knockout stages that is not going to work...

So many things happened.
Getting banned from signing players
And neymar leaving right before the season started forced the managers to buy expensive players at the last minute.
So much bad luck and bad planning
Having the most expensive wages in Europe also conditions you not to hire a good coach b.c then you are gonna have to pay more money
But I agree with everything you've stated.
Makes sense

El Flaco

Ronaldo Nazario: "Barcelona have a great team & the best in the world in Messi. I heard when they lose [Liverpool 4-0 Barca], it's because of Valverde, Coutinho but not Messi. But when they win, it's because of Messi. This is a tremendous lack of respect to all the players and the coaching staff."

[tw]1126479548676288512[/tw]

Ronaldo Nazario: "Barcelona have a great team & the best in the world in Messi. I heard when they lose [Liverpool 4-0 Barca], it's because of Valverde, Coutinho but not Messi. But when they win, it's because of Messi. This is a tremendous lack of respect to all the players and the coaching staff."

That's what happens when ppl go on both extremes:
Those who think Barca only wins b.c.of Messi
And those who blame everything on valverde or coutinho
The truth is somewhere in the middle I think

Mitchell1978

I know everybody is very disappointed right now but the results of the last 11 season when barça has been built around Messi, by far the most succesfull era of the club's history, show it was the right choice.

Cruyffgeist

Messi has only suffered under Valverde, THE worst coach in at least recent Barca history. I truly don't understand the idiots who support him, and there are still some out there! Sure it's two years wasted, but nothing too drastic to cry about. If the board can get their act together for next season, it'll have all been okay and if anything it might make a nice comeback story.

Arizona Scott

I know everybody is very disappointed right now but the results of the last 11 season when barça has been built around Messi, by far the most succesfull era of the club's history, show it was the right choice.

Pretty much agree. And how do people not remember 24 months ago when Real got the league and CL and bombed us int he Supercup. We have come a long way.

But in truth we are not "built" around Messi, nor has Argentina been built that way. If it were you would have managers with a good feel for tactics and motivation, and you would have midfield that built 1) to get him the ball in dangerous positions and with dangerous, space creating, options for him to pass to & 2) have a high defensive work rate and be on the athletic side recognizing Messi only counts as the occasional defender.

We havn't see a team built around Messi for years. Though De Jong, Arthur, Semedo & Dembele could be part of that in the future. I think another top rate target of course is needed, Suarez isn't in a lace to be the main target all the big matches.

underoath

Banned

Well technically he is the last to blame. But because he's the captain and a veteran he should have organized the team same with Pique on the backline he's the leader there but most of the Goals are because of defender's mental lapses

FatSuarez

Well technically he is the last to blame. But because he's the captain and a veteran he should have organized the team same with Pique on the backline he's the leader there but most of the Goals are because of defender's mental lapses
All Pique had to do was jump in front of wijnaldum, instead of watching him jump. All Messi had to do was hit the net instead of miss the net.
And all Jordi Alba had to do was stay home.

sickstar

Well the whole thing about the game was it was an anticlimax.

Barca hadn't lost once this season before the game. And never was liverpool perform so magically with 4 goals win against a team that was nearly perfect (in ucl) this season.

Losing intensity, that was for sure, but we had that too in camp nou.
I guess EV should have put in arthur for coutinho so we could have a 5 mid players, and perhaps the goals wouldnt happen if we aware that wijnaldum is positioned as a striker.

clemente

Yes it was Messi fault guys, Rakitic, Suarez, Coutinho, Roberto and Alba played like absolute shit, because Messi forgot to motivate them, how can he call himself a captain??

Home of Barca Fans