10 - Lionel Messi - V6

ManusXavi

I am not a Messi fan. I am not a fan of a forward who rarely runs behind the defense for a through ball.
For the good of Barcelona I love that he plays the way he plays. There really isn't anyone else playing Messi's style who is anywhere nearly as good as Messi.
The variety that Barcelona have had in their attack when accompanied with through ball runners and tactics that encourage situations for through-balls (not camping near the opponents goal) are where Barcelona have been at their best.
Building a team around Messi is certainly the best solution. Coutinho and Suarez are unsuitable

Hardy

from today training

D6MloiLW4AElfiX.jpg

West Saxon

Very harsh to blame Messi in any way for Anfield. He looked dangerous on the ball and created chances for himself and his team-mates, and would've scored at least one goal if it wasn't for a world-class goalkeeper.

Suarez is a bigger problem. I was shocked to see how immobile he is. In England he was all over the place, constantly creating space for himself and his team-mates; against Liverpool he was just walking around. As a neutral I would say what Barca need right now is forwards who can get in behind defences with speed and good movement, and who aren't afraid to stay wide to stretch the defence. Suarez is static and Coutinho is too similar to Messi, wanting to cut in and play in the middle. You need players like peak Villa, Sanchez, Pedro. Maybe Dembele can be that player.

Don Andrésº8

I'm afraid the story is not as clear as some.poeple think.
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards believing that Barcelona has made Messi more the player he is that he has made Barcelona. I think looking at Argentina would be a great example of that.
Now, I don't blame Messi for this. And from a marketing perspective, I don't think we can blame the board either
I mean, if you have a player that causes millions of fans to follow the team and become fans, why would you stop that?

On the other hand, we have gotten to the point where we have tried time and time again to rely on a single player that we haven't been capable.of seeing that Messi shinning is not the same as Barca shining.
For a while we have build an entire team around a single player and the results show that that's probably not the way to go.
The best Messi years was when Barca already had a great and balanced team and Messi just came I to the picture, not the other way around.

So our assumption was that building a team around Messi would.make Barca stronger, but maybe we failed to do just that or we did just that but it just never worked out

Im still trying to make sense of how we can get out of a situation that's not the worst case scenario, but will deff bring more pressure as the years go by and we fail to win the CL.
Not winning the CL could be a threat to Barca as a club

Lol this is the most retarded post i Saw here on this fórum, completely clueless about football. Look how many trophies Barça had before Messi and after Messi. The only thing right that you wrote on that text was that Messi should not be the captain of the team, he dont have the personality to be, and thats ok he needs to play football not commanding men, he is better without that extra pressure

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If players run the club and decide who is the manager and who plays, then it's the players fault and captain should face the music and not hide like Messi does.

Greatest player by a mile but not much of a leader.

snowy

If players run the club and decide who is the manager and who plays, then it's the players fault and captain should face the music and not hide like Messi does.

Greatest player by a mile but not much of a leader.

That's kinda harsh though. You can't ask a typical introverted dude to take the mic and pump up the jam as if he were a party animal. Think of him as the quiet, silent leader type ;)

Givenchy

I'm afraid the story is not as clear as some.poeple think.
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards believing that Barcelona has made Messi more the player he is that he has made Barcelona. I think looking at Argentina would be a great example of that.
Now, I don't blame Messi for this. And from a marketing perspective, I don't think we can blame the board either
I mean, if you have a player that causes millions of fans to follow the team and become fans, why would you stop that?

On the other hand, we have gotten to the point where we have tried time and time again to rely on a single player that we haven't been capable.of seeing that Messi shinning is not the same as Barca shining.
For a while we have build an entire team around a single player and the results show that that's probably not the way to go.
The best Messi years was when Barca already had a great and balanced team and Messi just came I to the picture, not the other way around.

So our assumption was that building a team around Messi would.make Barca stronger, but maybe we failed to do just that or we did just that but it just never worked out

Im still trying to make sense of how we can get out of a situation that's not the worst case scenario, but will deff bring more pressure as the years go by and we fail to win the CL.
Not winning the CL could be a threat to Barca as a club

imo the main issue with Messi these days is the position we play him in (or you could say he decides to play in) no matter how great he is, football is a team game and depending 100% on a 30+ year old with poor stamina vs a team like Liverpool is asking for trouble. Messi is basically, on paper atleast, playing RW which ends up being a false-'RW' as he drifts into the middle and i don't mean cutting inside either. its not only gimping Dembele by forcing him to play at LW.. it also fucks our entire right side as nobody tracks back.

we got into this situation by hiring shit managers who gave Messi more and more control. i think the entire club need to take a look at themselves and realize how pathetic they are in his absence. we've spent so much money yet still we are FC Messi.

Pedro

La Masia
Frankie will hopefully stabilize the midfield and allow Leo to thrive next season, people saying Leo won't win a CL again, I think he'll win at least 1 more before he retires

tacticvarium

No longer have high hopes for Messi's remaining career. His chance to add more CL trophies and international football glory is probably done. Should have left Barça when Xavi left or a season later.

Centauri B

Frankie will hopefully stabilize the midfield and allow Leo to thrive next season, people saying Leo won't win a CL again, I think he'll win at least 1 more before he retires

The fact is that we have wasted a great deal many seasons in the CL. It's beyond depressing. Hopefully however, there is still a couple years left for Leo to win the CL again. We need immediate infusion of serious talent. Only if all of De Jong, De Ligt, Griezman etc succeed will we even have a good chance to win. Next year the CL will be epic. 4-5 EPL clubs. plus Bayern, maybe Dortmund, Real will be stronger, PSG will be crazy for it, so will Juventus. We either make another dream team like 09/11/15, or we lose again. It's funny how we can only win the CL if our team is at GOAT level, we cannot win by just being good like so many other teams have done throughout history.

Home of Barca Fans