10 - Lionel Messi - V6

serghei

What you are missing is us having 3 100% chances to put the tie away in Liverpool, with our players bottling it (all 3 balls where from Messi). Put it in perspective, its like saying "Barca team got them clean sheet in CN so it must mean their defense did great job". No, not exactly. Their attackers didn't score at CN, but could have as they had 3-4 clear chances to put us out of our misery. Fact is, VVD was average against us. He was average in groupsm and today, while really good, their best player was Alisson (took most shots without conceding a goal since 2002).

Man, the attackers are priviledged either way since they win the Ballon d'Or almost every season. Defenders, not even mention keepers, aren't even in the conversation. Van Dijk had a great season. He deserves it.

For example, nobody even mentions the great chance Messi missed by trying to arrogantly nutmeg Matip when clear on goal. Was arguably our clearest chance in the game.

For our perspective, it's better Messi doesn't win it so he can be motivated next season even more.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Would this CL win elevate VVD's chances? Yes. Will he win it? I don't think so because once again, he doesn't stand out more than Salah, Mane, Firmino and Alisson etc.

The talk of Nation's League is just silly. It is a worthless tournament, for the most part, other than spots in the Euro.

Givenchy

VVD will win it this time. we aren't in the Messi or Ronaldo era anymore, i think the voters will want to see different winners and VVD put in another solid performance in the CL final

sad that one of Leo's best seasons individually ends with a mere la liga title

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Relax guys, it is the heat/attention of the moment. When the new season starts, if Messi does well personally (and better yet our team does well), he will have a great chance by the time voting begins in November.

This is not a World Cup year but this winning the CL is not as big as some think. Ribery didn't win it.

abbbs97

It would be an absolute shame if VVD wins it. Just like how Modric won it last year.
Messi is by far the greatest player this year. VVD should be in the top 3 but not win it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
VVD will win it this time. we aren't in the Messi or Ronaldo era anymore, i think the voters will want to see different winners and VVD put in another solid performance in the CL final

sad that one of Leo's best seasons individually ends with a mere la liga title

He had one good moment in the CL final (containing Son), on what ground should he be winning it? Why shouldn't it be Alisson who made some key saves?

Givenchy

He had one good moment in the CL final (containing Son), on what ground should he be winning it? Why shouldn't it be Alisson who made some key saves?

i didn't say 'should' win it.. but he will. Messi should win it every year if the award was true to its name as an individuals award

serghei

Also, Messi has almost no chance to win the Copa America. A failure there and his shot at the Ballon d'Or would be diminished. You need more than La Liga to win it, and Barca being serial bottlers in CL is not a great argument.

Should've tried to be more of a leader and force change at the team, cause this is going nowhere with Valverde in Europe. Maybe he's satisfied with only the La Liga title.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
i didn't say 'should' win it.. but he will. Messi should win it every year if the award was true to its name as an individuals award

Well, sure, if people are tired of seeing Messi and Ronaldo rotating on the trophy (last year's could be a good indication) then yes they could vote for VVD or anybody in favor of Messi.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Also, Messi has almost no chance to win the Copa America. A failure there and his shot at the Ballon d'Or would be diminished. You need more than La Liga to win it, and Barca being serial bottlers in CL is not a great argument.

Should've tried to be more of a leader and force change at the team, cause this is going nowhere with Valverde in Europe. Maybe he's satisfied with only the La Liga title.

But who else had a better season performance-wise? VVD was not bad, but no where as decisive and clutch as Messi.

Messi is not a leader, period. He simply doesn't have the qualities and mentality to be a leader and he can't really lead by example so it is that.

Givenchy

Well, sure, if people are tired of seeing Messi and Ronaldo rotating on the trophy (last year's could be a good indication) then yes they could vote for VVD or anybody in favor of Messi.

we all know how hyped up the PL is, we just had one of the tightest title races in memory + an all english CL final.. Liverpool took part in both and VVD (Alison deserves credit also) changed their entire backline

old format - Leo comes 1st, 2nd and 3rd as nobody has been at his level this season

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
we all know how hyped up the PL is, we just had one of the tightest title races in memory + an all english CL final.. Liverpool took part in both and VVD (Alison deserves credit also) changed their entire backline

old format - Leo comes 1st, 2nd and 3rd as nobody has been at his level this season

What is the new format and how different is it from the old format?

blaugrana1987

You are letting your emotions influence bdor opinion (that, as well as expecting Messi to do EVERYTHING without one bad game in season).

I already told you, VVD was part of defense that conceded 3 and could have conceded 3-4 more easily. Messi was part of the attack that scored 3 and could have scored 3-4 easily if his teammates didn't miss sitters (and he would literally be included in 90% of these goals). So, Messi did his job more then good, but VVD didn't, as his teammates in attack scored 4 to get them to finals. Worst thing about Barca in this tie was their defense and MF, best thing about Liverpool where their attack. As I said, diametrically opposite when looking at who was individually better. Messi by country mile.

serghei

What is the new format and how different is it from the old format?

Journalists from different countries vote. And journalists write the most about the CL winning team. Liverpool is the team of the season and their best performing player will probably win.

Van Dijk is selling hot right now all over Europe. EPL player of the year, CL final MOTM, everything has him as a top favorite for Ballon d'Or.

I think in the previous editions managers and captains of FIFA affiliated national teams voted.

You are letting your emotions influence bdor opinion (that, as well as expecting Messi to do EVERYTHING without one bad game in season).

I already told you, VVD was part of defense that conceded 3 and could have conceded 3-4 more easily. Messi was part of the attack that scored 3 and could have scored 3-4 easily if his teammates didn't miss sitters (and he would literally be included in 90% of these goals). So, Messi did his job more then good, but VVD didn't, as his teammates in attack scored 4 to get them to finals. Worst thing about Barca in this tie was their defense and MF, best thing about Liverpool where their attack. As I said, diametrically opposite when looking at who was individually better. Messi by country mile.

Relax. You have your opinion, I have mine. Told you I think Van Dijk will win it. You can make arguments for both of them. Messi has a case for the football he shows weekly in Spain, even though he hasn't been a winner in Europe in half a decade almost. Van Dijk has a case for being a world class defender and probably the best player in the best team this year.

It's just that the Ballon d'Or is constructed in such a way that indicates Van Dijk's strong points are valued more. Messi was 5th last year, and he did much of the same as this season.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans