10 - Lionel Messi - V6

blaugrana1987

Journalists from different countries vote. And journalists write the most about the CL winning team. Liverpool is the team of the season and their best performing player will probably win.
He won't win though. He can't, because he wasn't anywhere close to being as good (individually) as Messi. Last years Messi, yes, this years? Not a chance (unless he absolutely blows Copa).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Journalists from different countries vote. And journalists write the most about the CL winning team. Liverpool is the team of the season and their best performing player will probably win.

Van Dijk is selling hot right now all over Europe. EPL player of the year, CL final MOTM, everything has him as a top favorite for Ballon d'Or.

In the past journalists from all over the world voted as well, and team captains too if I am not mistaken. I don't see the difference.

If VVD gets it then OK, you win the CL we will pick a player from your team.

serghei

In the past journalists from all over the world voted as well, and team captains too if I am not mistaken. I don't see the difference.

If the CL winner is commonly seen as the best team, and the CL is the biggest competition in that year, which both are true in this case, that is usually the case.

serghei

When it was awarded by FIFA, the journalists didn't vote I think.

Arizona Scott

Would this CL win elevate VVD's chances? Yes. Will he win it? I don't think so because once again, he doesn't stand out more than Salah, Mane, Firmino and Alisson etc.

The talk of Nation's League is just silly. It is a worthless tournament, for the most part, other than spots in the Euro.

This is correct - firmino. VVD is great but by no means the decisive player form then. The award will this year is a little bit open (start of next club season, supercups, and international play still considered) but i think it is messi's.

Personally i thought Mane was probably the best for their run this year--he has beem electric, but it is close with 3 others, maybe 4 with robertson. Really was a team achievement where everything for barca (la liga), semifinal and final in the major cups) was because of him.

raedkuwait

he deserves what he gets specially after backing up a
loser coach and showing no passion what so ever
i would not give it to him.

ebc_99

The CL is only used to separate Messi and Ronaldo, if Barca win it's Messi's Ballon d'Or same thing for Ronaldo and Real. That doesn't mean a player from the CL winner will take the golden ball, when Chelsea and Bayern win the CL none of their players beat Messi and CR7.

ebc_99

he deserves what he gets specially after backing up a
loser coach and showing no passion what so ever
i would not give it to him.

Would you ever give over, you are beating a dead horse at this point. Whether he backs the manager or not has nothing to do with winning the Ballon d'Or.

FinBarcelonafan

What kind of reasoning is that? HE blew it? You mean, guy who scored 2 goals, put 5 more on platter vs the guy who's main job was not to concede (and he conceded 3, could have conceded 3 more). Liverpools team, attack especially, turned that tie around, not VVD (who was avg against us in that tie). Messi was by long long shot our best player...

Messi is the captain of the team. He should take responsibility for his team collapsing year after year. I've been defending Messi forever, but now I am starting to think his leadership is not there. I think those Argentina losses have destroyed him mentally and he is not ready to face any adversity anymore.

Same with the team.

Home of Barca Fans