10 - Lionel Messi - V6

ebc_99

Messi is the captain of the team. He should take responsibility for his team collapsing year after year. I've been defending Messi forever, but now I am starting to think his leadership is not there. I think those Argentina losses have destroyed him mentally and he is not ready to face any adversity anymore.

Same with the team.

Look at AC Milan, gave away a 3 goal lead against Deportivo in 2004 QF, then a 3 goal lead in the final against Liverpool in 2005. Nobody questioned Maldini's leadership or mentality, its football it happens. AC Milan then went on to win the 2007 Champions League with the same players and manager with Maldini the captain as well. To write off Messi and Barca like that is ridiculous.

Hardy

Classy yes but more of a typical diplomatic response to me. Nobody, other than Ronaldo, Ibra and Ribery would have said “ I deserve the Ballon Dor”.

but he mentioned clearly Messi, he could be much more vague. This is another big endorsement after Mbappè and Mbappè is even a CR fan with a big ego.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
but he mentioned clearly Messi, he could be much more vague. This is another big endorsement after Mbappè and Mbappè is even a CR fan with a big ego.

Endorsement? Whatever these players say or believe carries little or no weight in the mind of the voting journalists, I am afraid.

I actually do think this classy move will make VVD more appealing. ;)

underoath

Banned
Journalists from different countries vote. And journalists write the most about the CL winning team. Liverpool is the team of the season and their best performing player will probably win.

Van Dijk is selling hot right now all over Europe. EPL player of the year, CL final MOTM, everything has him as a top favorite for Ballon d'Or.

I think in the previous editions managers and captains of FIFA affiliated national teams voted.

Relax. You have your opinion, I have mine. Told you I think Van Dijk will win it. You can make arguments for both of them. Messi has a case for the football he shows weekly in Spain, even though he hasn't been a winner in Europe in half a decade almost. Van Dijk has a case for being a world class defender and probably the best player in the best team this year.

It's just that the Ballon d'Or is constructed in such a way that indicates Van Dijk's strong points are valued more. Messi was 5th last year, and he did much of the same as this season.

VVD is hardly even mention in this UCL run of Liverpool. He's not a big difference regardless if Liverpool play coward and ultra defensive in the most boring finals ever :lol:

underoath

Banned
Look at AC Milan, gave away a 3 goal lead against Deportivo in 2004 QF, then a 3 goal lead in the final against Liverpool in 2005. Nobody questioned Maldini's leadership or mentality, its football it happens. AC Milan then went on to win the 2007 Champions League with the same players and manager with Maldini the captain as well. To write off Messi and Barca like that is ridiculous.
No Social Media as BIG as right now so no spoiled fans

Mitchell1978

Man, the attackers are priviledged either way since they win the Ballon d'Or almost every season. Defenders, not even mention keepers, aren't even in the conversation. .

Attackers, attacking midfielders & creative midfielder are the players who usually decide games, its also much harder to create to attack then it is to prevent

Van Dijk had a great season. He deserves it.

No he doesn't, Messi was head and shoulders above anyone this season in the CL and in La Liga, if Messi doesn't win it then award loses whatever credibility it has left...

For example, nobody even mentions the great chance Messi missed by trying to arrogantly nutmeg Matip when clear on goal. Was arguably our clearest chance in the game.

Alba was clearly offside earlier in the same play, a goal would never have counted

Barcilliant

People here arguing about individual awards,? If I was Messi I'd be fuming about the fact that a charlatan like Henderson is lifting the cup. I'd also be wondering why I would defend a fraud like Shitverde and keep a guy like Suarez in the team.

FinBarcelonafan

People here arguing about individual awards,? If I was Messi I'd be fuming about the fact that a charlatan like Henderson is lifting the cup. I'd also be wondering why I would defend a fraud like Shitverde and keep a guy like Suarez in the team.

Thank you. That makes me the most annoyed. We mess up year after year in CL and even now our players call the fans spoiled. WTF. The team has lost it. They think they are the best but they are not. Maybe if they played with 100% intensity instead of jogging around like Rakitic in every game. The whole team needs kick in the ass!!! Barcelona is becoming retirement home, not.the best football team in the world like it used to be. Sign some new players now and send some veterans packing. Shake things up.

Ripsta

WHAT THE FUCK! I got a fucking warning for this

"In the end, Messi's loyalty will (or already has) ultimately cost him the legacy of being the absolute GOAT. "

I am NOT being a fucking troll, i'm a massively frustrated fan.

The way the club are going from board to managament is a joke, no one wants Valverde here and in two years he's cost the Club two of the most embarassing results in European Cup history. Messi's remaining years are going to be under this clown because he's so loyal.

He's probably the most talented individual footballer ever, but if he stays in the current situaton he IS doing his legacy more harm than good from an outside perspective. Just look at the yearning for Van Dijk to get the Ballon d'Or this year despite quite clearly being a million miles behind Messi this year. In fact, look at all the shit he's got in recent years because of the Clubs failings and what Real have done in Europe too.

It's a fucking travesty.

Home of Barca Fans