10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Ritchie

How the hell is Messi losing this Ballon dor to VVD and Ronaldo. It's sad world we live in

It's almost impossible to win Ballon D'or without the CL now, which should hopefully rule out Ronaldo at least. It's made Van Dijk favourite though.

The only times Messi has won Ballon D'or without CL were 2010 and 2012 and in 2012 he had to score over 90 goals and no Chelsea player was going to win it given they'd be rubbish most of the season. In 2010 Inter winning CL was more of a team effort and Sneijder was probably the closest thing to a star. Ronaldo has only won it once without CL and that was a fix when he stole it in 2013.

Messi will have to win Copa America or have a spectacular autumn to wrestle it off Van Dijk. Ronaldo's at least got himself on the podium with one game against Switzerland. As ever it was someone else stepping up for him in the final.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

It's almost impossible to win Ballon D'or without the CL now, which should hopefully rule out Ronaldo at least. It's made Van Dijk favourite though.

The only times Messi has won Ballon D'or without CL were 2010 and 2012 and in 2012 he had to score over 90 goals and no Chelsea player was going to win it given they'd be rubbish most of the season. In 2010 Inter winning CL was more of a team effort and Sneijder was probably the closest thing to a star. Ronaldo has only won it once without CL and that was a fix when he stole it in 2013.

Messi will have to win Copa America or have a spectacular autumn to wrestle it off Van Dijk. Ronaldo's at least got himself on the podium with one game against Switzerland. As ever it was someone else stepping up for him in the final.

I mostly agree with the but I think (and betting odds suggest) it is a true toss up. I think if Messi has a decent run for Argentina he will get it, or it could come down to fall club results (each has a supercup + fall regular season). This is a BdO race that may even break related to how Barca and Liverpool are in the table in November--as VVD case is so dependent on his team and to date his team (club and country) is in line for just 1 trophy--though admittedly it is the biggest one this BdO voting period.

raedkuwait

i used to care about messi winning or losing ballon doir
but after his reaction after our loss to liverpool and how
he backed up that loser of a coach i dont give a fuck
any more , week mentality from messi is not helping
him at all.

Last edited:
i used to care about messi winning or losing ballon doir
but after his reaction after our loss to liverpool and how
he backed up that loser of a coach i dont give a fuck
any more , week mentality from messi is not helping
him at all.

I used to care about what people on the internet thought
but after reading so much negativity i dont give a fuck
any more, week mentality by people who have been spoilt by Messi and Barca the last 10 years,
is not helping at all.

you obviously still do... deep down.

You could not be more wrong my man, I've managed to emotionally detach myself from things outside my control, not 100%, but way more than the average guy, that's why I never resort to insulting people or swearing at them. It really doesn't upset me personally if everyone shits on Messi and Barca, but I will still point out the disloyalty of it all.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
You could not be more wrong my man, I've managed to emotionally detach myself from things outside my control, not 100%, but way more than the average guy, that's why I never resort to insulting people or swearing at them. It really doesn't upset me personally if everyone shits on Messi and Barca, but I will still point out the disloyalty of it all.

You're missing out on cursing it's crude fun. As for Loyalty even that has it's limits, some people's are just different to others.

Last edited:

raedkuwait

No one loved messi more than i did, but my loyalty is to fc barcalona not messi, my interest is for the team, messi recent actions shows he cares more about making his friends and him self happy more than about the club, so ya things change, i love him for what he did for the club but he could have done much much more.

mia7007

Liverpool also won CL as a team effort and not VVD effort only. Without the likes of Salah, Mane, Robertson, Alisson and Arnold they would never reach playoffs even.

FCB1987

Banned
Argentina eleven from training: Armani; Saravia, Pezzella, Otamendi, Tagliafico; Lo Celso, Guido Rodriguez, Paredes, Di Maria; Messi, Agüero

🇦🇷

Arizona Scott

No one loved messi more than i did, but my loyalty is to fc barcalona not messi, my interest is for the team, messi recent actions shows he cares more about making his friends and him self happy more than about the club, so ya things change, i love him for what he did for the club but he could have done much much more.

Maybe he genuinely feels Barca was just one unlucky play from winning the CL? Outside observers have different opinions, let alone someone in the middle of it and playing with these guys for years.

Now there is a reason you should have a sporting director, separate from a manager, than a team of players.

I don't question Messi's motivation or commitment at all, his judgement of coaches and fellow players--yes I question that. But that ain't his job and we should not expect him to be a brilliant sporting director AND manager AND genius footballer.

Home of Barca Fans