11 - Neymar Jr. - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils

I think most of the criticism stems from his marketing persona rather than his performance. This guy is made to be a superstar just as Messi and others are. What probably doesn't fit in with culés is his marketing. He is more of a CR than a Messi! I think he had a great performance when Messi was injured and you have to give him that. I wouldn't blame him for yesterday's game although we should be expecting much more.

I wouldn't compare him to either Leo or CR, mainly because I don't think he will ever be as good as those two.

He doesn't have the talent of Messi and while it is arguable that he is as talented as Ronaldo, he doesn't have the work ethic or drive that Ronaldo does.

I agree with people ITT that his primadonna behavior has to stop though. Neymar became extremely complacent as the season progressed and he was performing poorly well-before we hit our slump period.

The lack of leadership in our team's dressing room is worrying, there isn't a boss figure like Xavi or Puyol to light a fire under our player's asses anymore and some of the guys in our team, like celebrity Neymar, definitely need that.

Last edited:

vlad

also, when you buy player for 100m. and one of the reason for his bad performances is tax problems, for god´s sake :lol:

Jadentheman

Ronnie was awesome in PSG.
Then he ALONE played a one-man-show in a 2003/04 (we didn't have Etoo, Messi, Larsson or anyone back then) where he guided our team from a bottom table to almost a title in the 2nd part of the season, with 10-11 wins in a row, in an extremely poor Barca's side back then.
In 2005, Ronnie and Etoo alone won La Liga, and we lost unluckily to Mou's Chelsea in a CL.
In 2006, Ronnie-Etoo-Messi won a CL after 14 years of misery.
He was still somewhat ok in 2007, after that he lost it.

Here is Ronnie from 2003-2004, in a very, very crappy Barca's team:

Now, compare his plays and dribbles to Neys. And motivation...
Or, better don't, honestly...

Let me add.. If Ronnie hadn't actually gotten injured towards the end of the 2nd half of the season in the beginning then Barca most likely would have won the league in his first year at Barca. Ronnie commanded games at such a quality where I'm still waiting for Neymar to do. He was on the right track beginning of this season, but then he decided to revert back. I honestly is somewhat disappointed in Neymar too. Especially when Messi is currently struggling he's suppose to step up and take his place when needed.

BBZ8800

Let me add.. If Ronnie hadn't actually gotten injured towards the end of the 2nd half of the season in the beginning then Barca most likely would have won the league in his first year at Barca. Ronnie commanded games at such a quality where I'm still waiting for Neymar to do. He was on the right track beginning of this season, but then he decided to revert back. I honestly is somewhat disappointed in Neymar too. Especially when Messi is currently struggling he's suppose to step up and take his place when needed.

True.

Also, someone will defend Neymar and say: but he is young, blah blah.
Neymar came here aged 21 and a half.
He is 24 years old already. He isn't a kid anymore.
It is a time to impose himself.
(On a field, not on Instagram)

Also, for guys who will defend Ney's age and how "he will get there eventually", well some doubts about that are quite logical.
Messi was 18 and a half here, against Chelsea in a QF final when Barca and Mou's Chelsea were 2 strongest teams in Europe back then, and when Mou's Chelsea kicked us out in a 2004/05 with 5:4 on aggregate:

18 years old Messi was imposing himself more than a 24 years old Neymar, at least in my eyes.

Further, Ronnie was bought aged 23.
With 23 years, he was already a leader and a one-man-show in Barca.
With 24-25 years, Ronnie was on his prime and the best player in the world. Barca was "a clueless team" without him on the field.

Also, a young Ronnie, aged 22 on a world cup 2002:

For me, Neymar's problem is still (or again) too many tricks and too small efficiency of goals and assists.
I mean, Neymar plays with Messi and Suarez.
You should just pass a simple assist to them and they will score 100s of Goals.

Ronnie had to play with Saviola (lol), Guily and similar guys.
And he was playing like a maestro, turning those clowns into a semi-good players.

I mean, imagine if young Ronaldinho had the chance to play with Messi and Suarez on his prime.
Suarez would have 10 clean 1 vs 1 shots on goal per match with Ronnie assisting him.

For me, it is still: Ronnie was efficient, and fun to watch on top of that.
But efficiency was a key. Tricks were just a bonus.

With Neymar, too often it is: tricks before efficiency.
We managed to change him slightly in the 2nd season and in the beginning of the 3rd season, but it seems that his "natural" personality is this one, with too many tricks and too less efficiency.

And now, in these sad days, it is better to remember some glory days, when our team had much more hunger and motivation.
Ronnie, Etoo, Messi in 2005-06, unbelievable motivation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1uOWJFldqI

Last edited:

KingLeo10

True.

Also, someone will defend Neymar and say: but he is young, blah blah.
Neymar came here aged 21 and a half.
He is 24 years old already. He isn't a kid anymore.
It is a time to impose himself.
(On a field, not on Instagram)

Also, for guys who will defend Ney's age and how "he will get there eventually", well some doubts about that are quite logical.
Messi was 18 and a half here, against Chelsea in a QF final when Barca and Mou's Chelsea were 2 strongest teams in Europe back then, and when Mou's Chelsea kicked us out in a 2004/05 with 5:4 on aggregate:

18 years old Messi was imposing himself more than a 24 years old Neymar, at least in my eyes.

Further, Ronnie was bought aged 23.
With 23 years, he was already a leader and a one-man-show in Barca.
With 24-25 years, Ronnie was on his prime and the best player in the world. Barca was "a clueless team" without him on the field.

Also, a young Ronnie, aged 22 on a world cup 2002:

For me, Neymar's problem is still (or again) too many tricks and too small efficiency of goals and assists.
I mean, Neymar plays with Messi and Suarez.
You should just pass a simple assist to them and they will score 100s of Goals.

Ronnie had to play with Saviola (lol), Guily and similar guys.
And he was playing like a maestro, turning those clowns into a semi-good players.

I mean, imagine if young Ronaldinho had the chance to play with Messi and Suarez on his prime.
Suarez would have 10 clean 1 vs 1 shots on goal per match with Ronnie assisting him.

For me, it is still: Ronnie was efficient, and fun to watch on top of that.
But efficiency was a key. Tricks were just a bonus.

With Neymar, too often it is: tricks before efficiency.
We managed to change him slightly in the 2nd season and in the beginning of the 3rd season, but it seems that his "natural" personality is this one, with too many tricks and too less efficiency.

And now, in these sad days, it is better to remember some glory days, when our team had much more hunger and motivation.
Ronnie, Etoo, Messi in 2005-06, unbelievable motivation:

great post, and people often overlook this. but before the partying and off the field antics took their toll, prime ronaldinho was one of the most gifted athletes i've ever seen in football, his agility and acceleration was immense. i feel like neymar isn't serious enough or committed enough to be a football legend, i would have less problems with him if he took the world by storm 2-3 years and then fizzled out (atleast that'd give us another couple la liga and a CL :D )

Cirre

Banned
I'm not saying this to be true, but I have a feeling that for him to flourish more and more, is if he's the main star of the team. Anyone else sense that?

KingLeo10

I'm not saying this to be true, but I have a feeling that for him to flourish more and more, is if he's the main star of the team. Anyone else sense that?

he had plenty of opportunity to do that last few games when messi was poor. turns out, neymar is just as poor if not worse.

Alik

Neymar's has been performing poorly, and that's very disappointing. But we shouldn't let this be a reflection on his overall performance at Barça.

Aside from this period of poor performance, he had a poor spell that lasted a month last season. But other than that, he has performed very very well for us.

Let's not say that 24-year-old Neymar cannot impose himself, while ignoring that 21, 22, and 23 year-old Neymar has already imposed himself and showed what he's capable of. Over the period that Neymar has been with us he was the best young player in the world, and among the best overall.

We should also be careful when comparing his performance to Ronnie and Messi.

serghei

Poor run of form. But it can happen. Our players are comming after an exhausting treble season and tiredness has gotten to them. Move on, win the double in the toughest league in the world, then end the season on a high. Next season we can win the CL again, after getting more rest and some transfers in the summer. We can't have bad luck after bad luck with the draws. We're gonna start drawing the Wolfsburgs and the Galatasarays and the Romas in CL KO stages probably.

Just keep calm and move forward. We're lucky enough to have only form problems, not quality problems. Once our fitness level gets back up we can do some real damage again and win the Champions League.

Last edited:

Alik

Poor run of form. But it can happen. Our players are comming after an exhausting treble season and tiredness has gotten to them. Move on, win the double in the toughest league in the world, then end the season on a high. Next season we can win the CL again, after getting more rest and some transfers in the summer. We can't have bad luck after bad luck with the draws. We're gonna start drawing the Wolfsburgs and the Galatasarays and the Romas in CL KO stages probably.

Just keep calm and move forward. We're lucky enough to have only form problems, not quality problems. Once our fitness level gets back up we can do some real damage again and win the Champions League.

Although, it might be a bit hard to get rest with all tournaments he might play.

El Guaje

he had plenty of opportunity to do that last few games when messi was poor. turns out, neymar is just as poor if not worse.

Dat selective memory. He was godlike a few months ago when Messi was injured and he was the go-to-guy. He was everywhere and did everything well.

Truthist

I agree, one has to look at his performances when Messi was injured to after his injury and it's like watching a different player. He just has no direction to his play and it's so predictable.

All he ever does is cut inside and look for Messi over and over again. Earlier in the season he was unbelievably unpredictable. He was just as likely to skin defenders on the outside as the inside.

KingLeo10

Dat selective memory. He was godlike a few months ago when Messi was injured and he was the go-to-guy. He was everywhere and did everything well.

messi doesn't have to be off the pitch for neymar to be the go to guy. i don't see messi hurling insults when the ball isn't delivered to him. fact is, neymar has been poor in the business end of the season when he should have been better. same goes for messi but atleast messi has a hell of a lot more credit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans