11 - Neymar Jr. - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Height18

everyone knew he was going to be leos successor lol, nothing new

No everybody knew he had the talent to do so, but now he's taking that talent to new levels this season. But its all about consistency and making this type of performance the norm, which he has been showing he can do.

Hope he keeps it up.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I was actually caught off guard when Neymar did that, I've seen him accelerate with the ball quite a few times and I never knew he was capable of that... he can easily get past players with acceleration too, impressive

Capable? How is that run surprisingly relative to his physical and technical abilities? It was was impressive but not to the extent where you didn't know he was capable...

NotInHere

Capable? How is that run surprisingly relative to his physical and technical abilities? It was was impressive but not to the extent where you didn't know he was capable...
Well he obviously doesn't have the same style as leo, so it was surprising for me how easily he blew past players with his dribbling. So he is capable of doing that too, which I found impressive

NotInHere

No, I absolutely agree that Neymar is NOT on Messi's level. And I doubt he'll ever reach what Messi was, truly, in his absolute prime. The way he scored 73 goals in one season, the way Messi would literally scored hat tricks back to back, the way he ran through 4, 5, 6+ players every fucking game... Messi was doing crazy shit nobody will probably ever replicate. Combined with his clinical finishing and tempo-controlling abilities, you really have the GOAT. It seems Messi cannot do this insane dribbles AS OFTEN as before, but he can still pull them off with regularity. It's not time yet for Neymar to take the throne, and even when he does, it won't be the same. Nobody will be able to do what this young man did.

yeah that 90 goal for a whole calender year is what made messi really stand out from everyone, people forget how unstoppable he was back then, I don't picture neymar even as great as he is to match that

KingLeo10

yeah that 90 goal for a whole calender year is what made messi really stand out from everyone, people forget how unstoppable he was back then, I don't picture neymar even as great as he is to match that

not just that, his overall production and level from late 08 - early13 and in the previous season was a level above anything we've seen from any player in the modern era.

NorthernVictory

But credit to Neymar, if he can be what 60% of 2011-12 Messi was, it's good enough for me. To replicate 60% of THAT Messi's consistency, and combined with say, Suarez and current Messi (who is still GOAT, btw), we have a great chance of winning trophies for many more years.

To be 60% of that year's Messi is already phenomenal. But to be exactly as good as that is out of this world, something I believe only "El Fenomeno" could possibly have reached (and in terms of talent I'd say R9 was equal to Messi, but due to his bodytype, build, is still more a pure striker, whereas Messi can score, create, and control the tempo like Xaviesta, which is why I rate Messi higher).

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
He does that a lot...

A lot ? He tries it, but often gets fouled in the process, if we're comparing to peak Messi then he needs to do that succesfully every other game, and score.

He's an amazing dribbler, but to get past a crowded space filled with opposition defender requires to have the ball very very close to your foot, that's not really his dribbling style, but I do hope he gets better at it.

If i'm being honest I was surprised he didn't fall just outside the box, that's usually what happens when he tries this.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

neymar's dribbling style is more conventional, he takes long strides and keeps the ball within 1-2 meters of his feet, comparable stylistically to cruyff, best etc

messi's style is unique both due to his apparently short strides and his general anatomy. Robben's dribbling style is actually one of the more similar ones to messi, although i have to say he can't pull it off in a crowded area with messi's consistency and effectiveness

BerkeleyBernie

A lot ? He tries it, but often gets fouled in the process, if we're comparing to peak Messi then he needs to do that succesfully every other game, and score.
He's an amazing dribbler, but to get past a crowded space filled with opposition defender requires to have the ball very very close to your foot, that's not really his dribbling style, but I do hope he gets better at it.

If i'm being honest I was surprised he didn't fall just outside the box, that's usually what happens when he tries this.

neymar's dribbling style is more conventional, he takes long strides and keeps the ball within 1-2 meters of his feet, comparable stylistically to cruyff, best etc
messi's style is unique both due to his apparently short strides and his general anatomy. Robben's dribbling style is actually one of the more similar ones to messi, although i have to say he can't pull it off in a crowded area with messi's consistency and effectiveness

He is getting better at it.

That kind of tight control slalom run is a recent addition to his technical skillset. Yes, he had pace before, but he didn't keep the ball next to his foot at full speed the way he is doing now, something he's learned from Messi/Iniesta, and from the necessity of tighter control in Europe. Kicking the ball ahead of you is fine for a 1v1, but not when you are trying to weave through multiple players. Watch him earlier with Barcelona, and you might see him get by a few players in a similar run, but not with control of the ball- often ended in a foul, losing the ball, or a frantic sloppy pass. His improved ball control and his quicker interplay has made him a much better fit with Barça than he was before.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi

That kind of tight control slalom run is a recent addition to his technical skillset. Yes, he had pace before, but he didn't keep the ball next to his foot at full speed the way he is doing now, something he's learned from Messi/Iniesta, and from the necessity of tighter control in Europe. Kicking the ball ahead of you is fine for a 1v1, but not when you are trying to weave through multiple players. Watch him earlier with Barcelona, and you might see him get by a few players in a similar run, but not with control of the ball- often ended in a foul, losing the ball, or a frantic sloppy pass. His improved ball control and his quicker interplay has made him a much better fit with Barça than he was before.

tumblr_n13kti1Dws1shtg7lo1_r2_400.gif

mark1nhu

That kind of tight control slalom run is a recent addition to his technical skillset. Yes, he had pace before, but he didn't keep the ball next to his foot at full speed the way he is doing now, something he's learned from Messi/Iniesta, and from the necessity of tighter control in Europe.

Bollocks.

Anyone who actually watched him for more than one match, back here in Brazil, knows he already was amazingly capable of carrying the ball close to his feet.

Some of us already have seen this "new Neymar" you are finally meeting.

If you look or search my past comments on him, you will see me constantly saying that he was not yet confident and a totally different Neymar from what we were used to see.

That's why he is better now: Because he is not the new kid on the block anymore, his confidence is an all time high right now and he finally have some allowance to take his usual risks (because everybody knows the payoff now).

Of course, he improved some technical skills, but this is actually a really minor factor to say something like "herp derp this is a new addition, herp derp he learned it recently".

BerkeleyBernie

Bollocks.

Anyone who actually watched him for more than one match, back here in Brazil, knows he already was amazingly capable of carrying the ball close to his feet.

Some of us already have seen this "new Neymar" you are finally meeting.

If you look or search my past comments on him, you will see me constantly saying that he was not yet confident and a totally different Neymar from what we were used to see.

That's why he is better now: Because he is not the new kid on the block anymore, his confidence is an all time high right now and he finally have some allowance to take his usual risks (because everybody knows the payoff now).

Of course, he improved some technical skills, but this is actually a really minor factor to say something like "herp derp this is a new addition, herp derp he learned it recently".

Okay, so up until a few months ago, the reason he didn't run **at pace** with the ball close to his feet at Barça is "because he was not yet confident?" That makes absolutely no sense. Carrying the ball close to your feet is **less** risky. So why would he suddenly lack confidence to execute such a skill?

This is **not** about close control brush-overs ballhandling from a dead stop, the kind of tricks he's always shown skill at. He showed up at Barça a rather sloppy technical player, by La Liga/Barça standards- the abilities to dribble and pass in tight spaces while keeping control of the ball rather than pushing and chasing it. He's tightened up his control a **lot** over the past few months.

Herpyderpy ymmv kthxbye

Height18

Okay, so up until a few months ago, the reason he didn't run **at pace** with the ball close to his feet at Barça is "because he was not yet confident?" That makes absolutely no sense. Carrying the ball close to your feet is **less** risky. So why would he suddenly lack confidence to execute such a skill?

This is **not** about close control brush-overs ballhandling from a dead stop, the kind of tricks he's always shown skill at. He showed up at Barça a rather sloppy technical player, by La Liga/Barça standards- the abilities to dribble and pass in tight spaces while keeping control of the ball rather than pushing and chasing it. He's tightened up his control a **lot** over the past few months.

Herpyderpy ymmv kthxbye

Have to agree with you for the most part, of course he became more confident but like you said he's clearly improved in these areas. Like I said about something else its about being consistent, of course he's shown good close dribbling in the past, but now its becoming a consistent trait (Just like his first touch seems to have reached other level too). And that has to do with improving. His talent is not going to peak at 21, like most they get better including Ney.

BrunoLodo

Herpyderpy ymmv kthxbye

Agree with mark1nhu... We have already seen this "new" Neymar you´re watching now! But why discuss about it? Some people think they know more about football and some think they know Neymar better. The point is that despite the fact about how much he improved, he is amazing right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans