14 - Javier Mascherano

Culeee

Let you-know-who(he-who-cannot-be-named) win some silverware with his curretn club before dreaming about the best club in the world :D

I don't know about that man, JDS doesn't seem to be that hurry-burry kinda guy to become a good box to box player. All he got resembling to that role is a powerful shot and nothing else IMO. Also his distribution skills are really good & we'd probably better develop him to fill the shoes of Xavi instead of Keita!!
I dont think he has the vision and creativity to fill the xavi role.. i see more of a no nonsense box to box hard working type of player in jds only with more flair and technique.. kind of a yaya type withouth the physique obviously

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
We don't have to do this. We'll have the end product next summer :D

Yeah when Arsenal end up qualifying for CL and achieving nothing else... and Wenger convinces you-know-who(he-who-cannot-be-named) to stay by signing Reina, because, accept it, Liverpool will be forced to sell their top players and Wenger, as he is, would wait all the way to save a million or 2 on his target :p

Culeee

Mascherano renounces his share for Barca move

Posted at: 23:00 on Friday, August 27, 2010

****************************/2010/news/mascherano-renounces-his-share-for-barca-move/

Catalan radio station Rac1 reports that FC Barcelona’s latest signing Javier Mascherano (26) will renounce the percentage of the transfer fee that he was supposed to recieve from Liverpool, meaning that Barcelona will in the end only have to pay a little more than €19M for the defensive midfielder.

The midfielder’s transfer from Liverpool to Barcelona has taken shape thanks to an increase in the financial offer of Barca. Sporting vice-president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, increased the offer of the club from €19 to €22 million.

However, those €3 million will not be from the coffers of the Catalan club, but rather from Mascherano’s own share that he would be recieving as a bonus from Liverpool for moving to Barca.

Mascherano will tomorrow at 11pm CET pose at the Camp Nou. On Monday he will undergo his medical tests after which he will sign his contract and be presented in the afternoon.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I dont think he has the vision and creativity to fill the xavi role.. i see more of a no nonsense box to box hard working type of player in jds only with more flair and technique.. kind of a yaya type withouth the physique obviously

Vision & crativity are not some thing that would be visible in a player the first time you see him play... Xavi was no instant-impact as soon as he was introduced to the team either!!

Tomchin

I see that a lot of people here call Mascherano "The Badger". What's the meaning of the word "badger" in English? Someone who likes to bully other people?

And what's the translation of "El Jefecito"? "The small chef", or sth like that?

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Mascherano renounces his share for Barca move

Posted at: 23:00 on Friday, August 27, 2010

****************************/2010/news/mascherano-renounces-his-share-for-barca-move/

Catalan radio station Rac1 reports that FC Barcelona’s latest signing Javier Mascherano (26) will renounce the percentage of the transfer fee that he was supposed to recieve from Liverpool, meaning that Barcelona will in the end only have to pay a little more than €19M for the defensive midfielder.

The midfielder’s transfer from Liverpool to Barcelona has taken shape thanks to an increase in the financial offer of Barca. Sporting vice-president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, increased the offer of the club from €19 to €22 million.

However, those €3 million will not be from the coffers of the Catalan club, but rather from Mascherano’s own share that he would be recieving as a bonus from Liverpool for moving to Barca.

Mascherano will tomorrow at 11pm CET pose at the Camp Nou. On Monday he will undergo his medical tests after which he will sign his contract and be presented in the afternoon.

my my my... how nice

Pepe Silvia

Then why not just call ourselves Inter Milan. If anyone paid attention last year, when we had Bousquets + Keita or any two of the trio Yaya/Bousquets/Keita our possession was awful.We played Bousquets and Keita together and we looked lost. Sure we won but it was in an ugly fashion that a few were even complaining about.
We were also playing with an unmotivated Yaya, missing Xaviesta for much of the season.

We move the ball less accurately and the passing in general is just slower and sloppy. We'd be more solid in defense for sure...but aren't we already solid enough with one DM in the first place?! Neither Mascherano or Sergi are versatile enough to offer anything else but their role, which is identical.
What happens if Sergi gets injured in your logic? We rely on Keita to play DM? Youth? Not in Champions League buddy.
I'm still not sold on Sergi honestly, to me he's done absolutely nothing special. He's just a big guy taking up space. His passing is mediocre and he often holds onto the ball too long.
While I tend to agree with his holding the ball too long and forcing mistakes on himself, to say he is mediocre is laughable. His pressure alone on forwards (mentioned in his thread and countless press everywhere) is unquestionable.
He is also very error prone and lets face it, he reminds me of Ronaldo when he gets hit. I just dont like him much and he has a lot to prove. I honestly was very surprised to see him in Spains WC squad. I see him as massive potential, not massive quality.
He flops and dives yes. I don't like it either. I think it is pretty gay.

For the last time, Iniesta isn't an efficient Barca winger. He can't score worth a damn and he's not that fast. Sure he can assist, and thats great and all but he can do that FROM THE MIDFIELD...where he belongs.
I was asking beast and meta to assess the potential of fielding both midfielders in our system, and I'm not that good at typing out those formations. Iniesta is not winger material by any means and even in moments where he was forced in LW, his natural gravitation towards middle left and in the box is obvious.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Busquets had an outstanding WC after a very strong season for us. Possibly in Spain's top 3 for the tournament, def top 5.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
I see that a lot of people here call Mascherano "The Badger". What's the meaning of the word "badger" in English? Someone who likes to bully other people?

And what's the translation of "El Jefecito"? "The small chef", or sth like that?
The Badger is something one of our own members came up with (We also refer to Busquets as The Anteater.) But "El Jefecito" means the little chief or small chief.

Culeee

Vision & crativity are not some thing that would be visible in a player the first time you see him play... Xavi was no instant-impact as soon as he was introduced to the team either!!
vision and creativity are aspects that can be developed but usually you can already see little moments of brilliance very early on.. i havent seen enough of that in JDS the times i have seen him play.. but i do agree it still is a bit early to make such an assessment but i dont think he will ever reach xavis ability to pick defence splitting passes out of nothing and more importantly his calmth on the ball.. JDS seems to have an eye for intercepting passes and also great technique, agility and short passing skills... combine that with his great shot and workrate and to me that spells a box to box midfielder

Hektor

Hi:

Here is my take on Mascherano. I believe that he can be described as another Puyol type of player - he plays with three balls on the pitch. Is he the best DM in the world? I do not know. On the same token, is Puyol the best CB in the world? I do not think so and who cares. The only thing I know is that I do not want to play without Puyol. Period!

Mascherano, without any doubt, is the main stay in the Argentine National team under five coaches: Bielsa, Pekerman, Basile, Maradona, and now Batista. I have seen him play, for the national team, since he was 19. He always started and never a sub. Do not forget that Argentina won two successive Olympic gold medals with Mascherano: 2004 and 2008.

Mascherano will solidify an already good defense. His value is his vision and anticipation of the play. He saves the bacon time and time again. When Mascherano plays for the national team, I am very calm. I know if there is a furious counter attack for the other team, Masche will save the day and he does (excepting when Masche played under the moron of Maradona - but that is another story.)

I will never forget the overtime game against Mexico, in the 2006 world cup. Sorin, the LB, was finished and was cramping up in the OT. The Mexicans, as a result, started to attack on the right flank because of it. Sorin asked Mascherano to help him out, because Argentina already made the three substitutions. Mascherano played two positions, in the OT, and nullified the Mexicans' efforts. Incredible!

Do not expect Masche to be an attacking player, because he is not. He is not a RB either, the position he had to play with Liverpool. He is the heir of the fabled Argentine MD's ("5") : Nestor Rossi and Ubaldo Ratin. Is he a hatchet man? No, he is too elegant a player to be that. However, keeping in line with the traditional Argentine "5's, he is the enforcer - will lay down the "law," if needed.

What number will he wear? I guess any number between 0 and 99. Who cares? Will he be a starter with Barça? It all depends on Masherano. No one will hand him over the starting position - he has to earn it and that is the way it is supposed to be.

The only problem I see is that Spain will play a friendly against Argentina in Buenos Aires, this September. Eleven of your players are in that match: 8 for Spain and our 3 for Argentina. :) New coach (Batista,) new team. Batista has called up, among others, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Banega, Gago, Lavezzi, Gabi Milito, I belive Garay, etc. The moron is no longer in charge!

Best regards,

Hektor

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans