14 - Javier Mascherano

Juan03

he looks assured and confident, like if he had been playing with us for years. I'm glad he is adapting so well

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
From FC Barcelona official website:

...Mascherano finishing the game as the player who recovered most possession -13 tackles in a game in which he committed just a single foul. He was not just a destroyer though, receiving the ball on 20 occasions and making 81 successful passes, just five behind Busquets on 86.

10Messi10

True Barcelonista
Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets has claimed it is a “pleasure” to be playing alongside Javier Mascherano, although he added that it is unfortunate that the two compete for the same position in the team.

The pairing enjoyed a rare start alongside each other in the Blaugrana midfield during the 2-0 win over Copenhagen in the Champions League on Wednesday evening.

However, speaking to journalists this afternoon in the wake of their victory over the Danes, Busquets admitted he wished he could play alongside the Argentine more often.

“It was a different system in this match, because yesterday I played with Mascherano, and in theory we both play in the same position, but we can play together as we noted yesterday," said Busquets. "He is a pleasure to play alongside.

“He had a very good game. I think he it was his most developed performance so far. He is a very good player who will give a lot to the team.”

The win over Copenhagen represents Busquets’ 11th consecutive Champions League match for the Catalan giants, a record that he is proud of, adding: “All players want to play and this is a source of pride and satisfaction. I hope it helps the team and I continue to increase this number.”

Javier Mascherano played alongside Sergio Busquets on Wednesday, a player who in theory has a very similar profile to the Argentinean, but that’s no problem for Mascherano who reckons: “I felt fine playing with Busquet. He’s a very intelligent player, he knows the team well and it’s very easy to play with him”.

Last edited:

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
From FC Barcelona official website:

Not to sure where they get their stats. From that Champions League app:

Received 68 passes instead of 20
2s0bcy1.png

11 succesful interceptions/tackles/...
2urqlfm.png

His influence was indeed as big as the best of the team ...
a4v4gx.png

I think Javier was also the most fouled player for Barca
He indeed was, strange. :p

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Yeah, they're great. I was thinking during the WC to buy Opta's app but then, it was just the WC. Knew there was a CL app as well but didn't consider it, until I saw bits of it on ZM. It's of course a massive tool for stats man like myself. I would like one for Lliga as well but I don't think it's available.

Since it is CL I'm rthinking about making a piece about a player that had a good game. This combined with the UEFA stats are just gold to analyze.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Very interesting stats. The other stats speak for themselves, but how do they measure those "influence" stats?

My best guess is a combination of his heatmap to determine his average position on the pitch:
wqzi90.png

and his share of the passing stats of the team:
fd6djm.png

Home of Barca Fans