14 - Javier Mascherano

F

Flavia

His passing are great. My only concern about him was his tackles, but he has already managed to adequate that to the spanish league.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
His passing are great. My only concern about him was his tackles, but he has already managed to adequate that to the spanish league.

Yeah, he seems to have been able to change it to suit La Liga, i never thought he would do it this fast though, just goes to show what a great player he is.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
He´s a great addition to our midfield, with his pressuring-style of playing football and his solid passing skills. It's a shame he's a midget, though, as he is a defensive midfielder. Having a big defensive midfielder would help against teams playing the long ball, because it would allow Piqué and Puyol to stay in their positions. Nevertheless, he's a great addition to our squad.

Pedram123

Yes, it's too bad he's quite small for a Devensive Midfielder :/
Otherwise he's average height... Im guessing he's around 5'9.
Againt FCK i think it was, he only got a few minutes of playing time! I'd like to see him ATLEAST get 15-20 minutes of playing time each match...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
He did say he'd be a fool to think he would be a starter right away in this Barcelona mid field! Take it easy guys, think this way... now that Xavi is being rested whenever he could be, Masch is the one preferred by Pep, even to Thiago that is!!

One aspect that he made me eat my words is his play-making abilities... There are really some encouraging signs. Also it's been a while he's earned a card, so I guess there's every chance he might prove me wrong even at that :)
I think Masch will go on to prove a certain Z wrong too :D

Daemul

Mascherano is a legend, on certain websites people think he's been crap, they obviously have not been watching Barca games. All Hail Mascherano :worthy:

nebeer

Love is All
He did say he'd be a fool to think he would be a starter right away in this Barcelona mid field! Take it easy guys, think this way... now that Xavi is being rested whenever he could be, Masch is the one preferred by Pep, even to Thiago that is!!

One aspect that he made me eat my words is his play-making abilities... There are really some encouraging signs. Also it's been a while he's earned a card, so I guess there's every chance he might prove me wrong even at that :)
I think Masch will go on to prove a certain Z wrong too :D

In today's world Masherano is an exemplary footballer, he accepted no assurance of regular football and no super money offer to come to a club where he feels really passionate about playing. We are in a time where clubs like City are throwing money around and piling footballers up in their dressing room. In a time like this, someone like Mashcerano steps up and makes the statement that its not all about the money. A great leader, he is. As far his playing abilities go, it's clear that Pep sees him as a possible makeshift for Xavi; and that tells a lot. He brings a different kind of purposefulness in the midfield as far as building up an attack goes. He is the best DM of the world and is a master of sliding tackles. His distribution and passes are a joy to watch. I'm very glad that we got him and he plays for us.

Fontàstic

One aspect that he made me eat my words is his play-making abilities... There are really some encouraging signs.

You're not the only one. I was very skeptic about his passing, his first touches and his 'dribbling', but so far he's been doing great. Especially in the match against FC København, where almost did not make any unsuccessful passes, and many of them were actually forward passes:

cl11.jpg

To have Mascherano as a 'back-up' player sounds insane, but it seems as that is exactly what he will be. I don't think it's very probable that he takes Busquets' place in the starting XI. Busquets is simply too good.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
The obvious problem is that he is not use to our system. Ideally he needs a run in the team, but that's not really going to happen with Busquets in the team. He'll get his chances - Hopefully he won't make the mistakes that will stop him from getting the chances after that.

It's certainly a good thing that he's in the squad and his "weakness" of passing hasn't really shown since he has arrived.

Daemul

Weakness of passing, what weakness? Mascherano is a splendid passer of the ball, its just that people like Mark Lawrenson have encouraged this stereotype that DM's are DM's because they lack good passing skills. Which is obviously alot of rubbish. Like Fontastic said, Mascherano rarely gives the ball away, and most of his passes are foward ones aswell, not sideways or backward passes like some peopel will obviously think.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Well Mark Lawrenson is a bit of a twat when it comes to giving his "professional" opinion, but in Mascherano's case, many of his mistakes came from dodgey passing, i've seen him do it quite a few times and it appears to be his only obvious "weakness" as a defenesive midfielder (when he was at Liverpool). Thus far, nothing has suggested that this is still a weakness.

Fontàstic

With players like Mascherano and Busquets, people just always have to remember that they will not make a 40 meter pin-point pass across the pitch and make assists. Being a good passer does not necessarily mean that you have to make assists and great passes - it might as well mean that you choose the right option. Instead of going for the difficult pass, you just pass it to the nearest player - that is how Mascherano does it, and that is exactly how a defensive midfielder in a team like ours should do. Nothing splendid, nothing extraordinary - just a pass. As long as we keep possession, it does not matter what kind of a pass it is, because it is not up to Mascherano or Busquets to create the chances. That's why we have types like Xavi, Iniesta and Messi - the playmakers of our game.

Home of Barca Fans