14 - Javier Mascherano

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
We'll see though, it could just be the press stirring shit as per usual.

that's all it is.

frankly using him more sparingly is a good thing. he usually picks up an injury or two every season because of how hard he plays, so if we use him less he can continue to play hard because he knows he'll have more recovery time.

anyway, the real worth of Mascherano will be seen in the later rounds of the CL.

XaviMessiGirl

And also, less playing time = less bookings. :D

(although tbh when he has played for us, aside from the first couple matches he's been surprisingly good at avoiding being booked)

Trequartista

The good
I dont know,I think Pep should use Javier more,Pep builds his tactics on Busquets and he is an automatic starter in the team but so far Javier showed that he is at least as good as sergio,signing afellay means that we will not use Busquets in Xavi's role anymore,sergio didnt even impress on that role and will not impress IMO,so now why on earth we signed a world class midfielder to be a back up to another world class midfielder?anyway Javier is not leaving,he knows that Barca is not Liverpool but will he be that patient ?I dont know

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Don't you think, like, you know, Mascherano kinda knew this prior to signing for Barcelona? -_-

Mascherano is a new player, from a different league, from a different background, from a different system. He plays at the position currently occupied by one of the hottest prospects on that position, Mister Sergio Busquets. This player has been reshaped from a striker or something to that position in the youth ranks of Barcelona, there being indoctrinated by Barcelona's way of the game. The result of that combination? The man was a key factor in the world's biggest finals in football (Champions League + World Cup), which were both won, in his first two years of top class football. There is no way thinkable Mascherano would walk into the team and dismiss Busquets to the bench. Mascherano needs to adapt, learn the system, grow into the team. You know, like Barcelona does with all their cantera players: that is exactly the reason players like Busquets, Pedro, ... can make it in their first year with the A-team: they know everything and are able to play along, they are already adapted to the distinct way of playing. Mascherano is new, doesn't know the club or anyone in it (besides the argies), he will see a lot of the bench, he will learn a lot on training, he will have to take his chances when he gets playig time and he will work his way up the ladder. That's how it should go, he will have to earn it's place not by transfer, but by working hard and proving he is the best (and he cannot be now yet for the above reasons)

This is of course different than Yaya's case. Yaya was here PRIOR to Sergio Busquets. Yaya grew at Barcelona to that famous player, Yaya played keyroles in that treble season, Yaya was the man and the man had a firm grip on his position (that season Sergio was still just a substitute for Yaya). Until little Sergio breaks through and ousts him from that permanent entitlement. Guardiola recognises the talent and potential of Sergio (and more importantly: brought him with him via the youth team which means a special bond prior to the A-team relation, key fact in my opinion) and starts to rotate him and Yaya (Sergio mainly league/Yaya mainly CL) ... Yaya doesn't understand. The new kid on the block with his play-acting etc. nicks the place of the proven powerhouse? He's confused, doesn't take his chances when he is playing, his agent doesn't get it either, Yaya is off to the ACN and when back, Guardiola needed to make his choice for the season's money time and he picked Busquets as the main man with Yaya getting a more limited schedule ... and you know the rest of the story.

It's like the baby and the dog-thing. You buy a baby prior to a dog, not vice versa. Otherwise there is a big chance that the dog can't process the altering situation of priorities and attention. Not saying Yaya or Mascherano are the euivalents of dogs, but Busquets surely is Guardiola's baby.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Don't you think, like, you know, Mascherano kinda knew this prior to signing for Barcelona? -_-

Mascherano is a new player, from a different league, from a different background, from a different system. He plays at the position currently occupied by one of the hottest prospects on that position, Mister Sergio Busquets. This player has been reshaped from a striker or something to that position in the youth ranks of Barcelona, there being indoctrinated by Barcelona's way of the game. The result of that combination? The man was a key factor in the world's biggest finals in football (Champions League + World Cup), which were both won, in his first two years of top class football. There is no way thinkable Mascherano would walk into the team and dismiss Busquets to the bench. Mascherano needs to adapt, learn the system, grow into the team. You know, like Barcelona does with all their cantera players: that is exactly the reason players like Busquets, Pedro, ... can make it in their first year with the A-team: they know everything and are able to play along, they are already adapted to the distinct way of playing. Mascherano is new, doesn't know the club or anyone in it (besides the argies), he will see a lot of the bench, he will learn a lot on training, he will have to take his chances when he gets playig time and he will work his way up the ladder. That's how it should go, he will have to earn it's place not by transfer, but by working hard and proving he is the best (and he cannot be now yet for the above reasons)

This is of course different than Yaya's case. Yaya was here PRIOR to Sergio Busquets. Yaya grew at Barcelona to that famous player, Yaya played keyroles in that treble season, Yaya was the man and the man had a firm grip on his position (that season Sergio was still just a substitute for Yaya). Until little Sergio breaks through and ousts him from that permanent entitlement. Guardiola recognises the talent and potential of Sergio (and more importantly: brought him with him via the youth team which means a special bond prior to the A-team relation, key fact in my opinion) and starts to rotate him and Yaya (Sergio mainly league/Yaya mainly CL) ... Yaya doesn't understand. The new kid on the block with his play-acting etc. nicks the place of the proven powerhouse? He's confused, doesn't take his chances when he is playing, his agent doesn't get it either, Yaya is off to the ACN and when back, Guardiola needed to make his choice for the season's money time and he picked Busquets as the main man with Yaya getting a more limited schedule ... and you know the rest of the story.

It's like the baby and the dog-thing. You buy a baby prior to a dog, not vice versa. Otherwise there is a big chance that the dog can't process the altering situation of priorities and attention. Not saying Yaya or Mascherano are the euivalents of dogs, but Busquets surely is Guardiola's baby.

I love you, Special K.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28

:worthy:

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Look Jonathan28 or whoever you might be, I'm going to ask you nice and friendly. Stop quoting or answering my posts. Thanks.

Tomchin

But do you think that eventually Mascherano will take Busquets' place in our best-11 line-up? I'm not so sure...

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Look Jonathan28 or whoever you might be, I'm going to ask you nice and friendly. Stop quoting or answering my posts. Thanks.

Must you be so rude, the names Jonathan, not Jonathan28 or whoever you might be, get it right first. Whats your problem mate, it was a good post and I was letting you know. I've never met someone who couldnt handle praise before. If you dont like something just say it nicely without coming across as ungrateful and a total douche.

Last edited:

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
But do you think that eventually Mascherano will take Busquets' place in our best-11 line-up? I'm not so sure...
Doesn't matter Tomchin. It's about the level that the player in the best starting 11 will reach. Take Abidal's example. He was a bit meh at left back, doing average, but he didn't really care cause while Sylvinho was good, it was never a challenger for his permanent entitlement to the LB. Then Maxwell came in. I think Maxwell is a great player and suits our system, I don't know if he can be better than an Abidal on form. And tadaaaaaa, Abidal was playing absolutely superb compared to when he didn't have much of a challenger for his spot. I think Maxwell plays better than an average Abidal, but an Abidal on form I will surely pick.

Same happened with Yaya/Busquets. They battled for it. Now, if Yaya wasn't wandering around (and that was before resorting to agents etc) and just upped his game, he would still be the starter as I think Yaya on form was at the beginning of 09/10 still better than Busquets, even when the latter was making huuuuuge progress.

Same will happen next year when Mascherano has adapted a year and takes part in the pre-season (although I don't know how that works with the Copa America?), he should be ready for the challenge. It's up to Busquets to prove his worth. Can he stand the heat? Can he cope with the change? Will Mascherano then be more suitable to the game plan we are going to execute? Coming next season on a television near you ... As for this season, I don't think Mascherano will be the starter. Maybe in those tricky though away games, maybe, but if Barcelona requires a "once de gala", it will be Busquets. As for next season, I feel Busquets has all the qualities to evade Mascherano's push for a starting spot.

But names don't matter, it's the quality of the person on the pitch that is the thing. When you sign for this Barcelona, you resign from your ego. If you don't, you have problems. That should be clear by now.

And I feel those problems will mainly arise with players not raised in the cantera. They will never have that bond with the club youth players have. Mind you, they can still reach the level of club love cantera players have, just without that special bond. But in general, most transferred players will be "mercenaries".

Tomchin

Doesn't matter Tomchin. It's about the level that the player in the best starting 11 will reach. Take Abidal's example. He was a bit meh at left back, doing average, but he didn't really care cause while Sylvinho was good, it was never a challenger for his permanent entitlement to the LB. Then Maxwell came in.
Nice post, but I don't really agree with this part. Imho Abidal was brilliant during our treble-winning season. Also, last season he's been injured for about 3 months or so? His performance against Inter and the Clasico (1 week after having suffered from Mexican flu) was brilliant. But to say that Abidal was a lot better last season than during our treble-winning season? I'm not so sure.

Pepe Silvia

Funny thing watching Masch yesterday. I cheered when he tackled and sprinted around purposefully and facepalmed when he came in hard on Alves. Both the humor and horror attached to that play were epic.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt

:wub:

Home of Barca Fans