16 - Fermín López

Maradona37

The dream is dropping Lewa and playing Olmo as a false 9.

Nico____ Olmo. ____Lamine.
_________Fermin

You lack a natural out and out goalscorer, but could see all of these 4 getting double figures next season anyway.

Would be a nightmare trying to contain that attacking line up. You manage to shut down 2 or 3 and the other one will get you. Almost a super lite MSN in that sense.

But most of all, those 4 would be absolutely beautiful to watch. Can't imagine many boring games any more, which has become the norm in the past few years.
Looks great. Only thing is you need a really solid base behind them too (even though they're all hard working and athletic). A double pivot that can build play and mop up behind them is a great front six.

JamDav1982

Olmo false nine while maybe good as an option not sure the best solution if have wide players like Yamal and Nico who are more about getting on ball outside the box and getting quality in.

Would need more of a target to get the best out of those two surely.

Also false nine with Messi worked as the team could keep the ball all day and could have more patience than aiming for a target in box.. you wont get that kind of control with anyone else.. and certainly not with Fermin.

Cant see that being the long term plan.

Maradona37

Olmo false nine while maybe good as an option not sure the best solution if have wide players like Yamal and Nico who are more about getting on ball outside the box and getting quality in.

Also false nine with Messi worked as the team could keep the ball all day and could have more patience than aiming for a target in box.. you wont get that kind of control with anyone else.. and certainly not with Fermin.

Good points but it's still a good option to mix things up for your team. In most games Lewandowski will play because of his (albeit declined) physical presence and being a focal point, and ability to attack Yamal crosses. This would be even more true if Williams joined.

A similar profile of player but much better than current Lewa would be good in the Barca team.

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude

I will say the opposite.
False 9 didn't work specifically because of Messi in the team.
We were deadly when we had an actual 9, like Suarez, and then Messi feeding him.
Right now without a player like Messi, I think a false 9 and a CAM who can score, with wide wings perfectly counters today's football.

Maradona37

I will say the opposite.
We were deadly when we had an actual 9, like Suarez, and then Messi feeding him.
Right now without a player like Messi, I think a false 9 and a CAM who can score, with wide wings perfectly counters today's football.
You both make fair points to be honest. It's so difficult to foresee what will and won't work with players at a coach's disposal. That's why the best coaches are so good.

Making tactical decisions like this is what Flick is being paid for and not us.

JamDav1982

I will say the opposite.

False nine Messi did not work?

The best team of all time had Messi as the best player in it and the best coach of all time moved Messi there and played him for majority of time there.

Dont think Olmo at false nine in that set up outlined works.

Top teams are looking for targets in the box for a reason. The game has become much more about wide players holding width more and getting quality in. The space for playing ball through middle is being squeezed all the time.

Maradona37

False nine Messi did not work?

The best team of all time had Messi as the best player in it and the best coach of all time moved Messi there and played him for majority of time there.

Dont think Olmo at fals nine in that set up outlined works.
Maybe I am not reading that right, but I am interpreting it as even a lesser player than Messi could have made false 9 work to a point back then, because of the players and system around him. It's worded ambiguously and hard to make out but I think that's what draconifire meant. Not that it didn't work.

He can probably clarify with the context of the post.

JamDav1982

There is zero chance a lesser player could have played that false nine like Messi did if that is the argument it is even worse.

It is because of Messi playing there it is even seen as an option at Barca.

Always clinging to past glories.

Home of Barca Fans