20 - Dani Olmo

Maradona37

One can see that you didnt watch him a lot. Olmo is not a trickster pr franchise type of player. Put him on whatever position and he would do his best to fulfill his job. Give him space to attack, and you get total powerhouse. His path is just right, without injuries(lets hope) a proper reinforcment.
That's exactly what I said, did you not read my post properly? He's far from a ' trickster or PR franchise type player', that is my point. He's not flashy and of no substance. he is more for the team. He's not a 'superstar' in the making. Where did I say he was? I said the opposite, and that he's a team player without much hype or fanfare.

And yes, if you give him space he can create and he can link up or score. He's good in tight spaces too, I seen that in the Euros especially where he made a difference. But he's still not a magic moments type of player.

What you said in your second sentence and third sentence are exactly what I was implying.

Unless you mean he's a superstar but just hasn't been labeled as one. Your post was unclear as to what you meant.

Kul_z

That's exactly what I said, did you not read my post properly? He's far from a ' trickster or PR franchise type player', that is my point. He's not flashy and of no substance. he is more for the team. He's not a 'superstar' in the making. Where did I say he was? I said the opposite, and that he's a team player without much hype or fanfare.

And yes, if you give him space he can create and he can link up or score. He's good in tight spaces too, I seen that in the Euros especially where he made a difference. But he's still not a magic moments type of player.

What you said in your second sentence and third sentence are exactly what I was implying.

Unless you mean he's a superstar but just hasn't been labeled as one. Your post was unclear as to what you meant.
No, you implied that he thrives if players around him are equally good or better then him, in short. I say, that he can elevate our attacking display a lot. He has that trait of creating something out of nothing, which we simply dont have right now, blame it on xavi or the players, we simply didnt have that in last season

Maradona37

No, you implied that he thrives if players around him are equally good or better then him, in short. I say, that he can elevate our attacking display a lot. He has that trait of creating something out of nothing, which we simply dont have right now, blame it on xavi or the players, we simply didnt have that in last season
Fair enough, you might be right. It's simply my impression from seeing him a fair amount for Spain and the odd time for Leipzig. I am happy to concede you might be right. I guess time will tell - I want Barca to be more successful than Real Madrid so I hope he can elevate the team's attacking significantly. I just meant that those players - elevating attacks to the point a team wins things - are rare.

Kul_z

Fair enough, you might be right. It's simply my impression from seeing him a fair amount for Spain and the odd time for Leipzig. I am happy to concede you might be right. I guess time will tell - I want Barca to be more successful than Real Madrid so I hope he can elevate the team's attacking significantly. I just meant that those players - elevating attacks to the point a team wins things - are rare.
I watched him live when dinamo zagreb played against city in cl group stage. Even then you could see that he's only a intensity short of man city players. He has that underdog croatian mentality mixed with barca academy. If injuries avoid him, great asset. Watch his highlights in leipzig and dinamo. For me, underrated a lot but hell of a player

Maradona37

I watched him live when dinamo zagreb played against city in cl group stage. Even then you could see that he's only a intensity short of man city players. He has that underdog croatian mentality mixed with barca academy. If injuries avoid him, great asset. Watch his highlights in leipzig and dinamo. For me, underrated a lot but hell of a player
Fair enough. Like I say he impresses me whenever i watch him. We'll see how it goes with him and the team. Cheers.

Masetro10

Players who moves the needle aren't sold for 60M, not in any position. Unless they are prospects who might explode soon or simply older players.

Lewandowski was a "move the needle guy" for us, and cost us 45M +5M at the age of 34. That is 75% of Omlo transfer at minimum for 2 tears rental that was going to be paid for 4 years. Kane moved to Bayern for 100M at the age of 30, Bellingham for even more at 20.
Other cases like Mbappe or Halaand gets massive signing bonus if they are free or have buyout clause.

More importantly, those players want to move to a team that is already good/great. We aren't going to sign the difference makers then build around them, because they want to compete from day 1.

Let's say that hypothetically, Olmo is a success at LW, and some way we sort the CDM position. And by some miracle we are financially set and we can splash massive amount of money, our biggest issue is CF, Now if a guy like Halaand wants out, he can look at Barca and see a team built for him, were he is the missing pieces. OTOH in 2022, we were rebuilding team and the guy said that it was between City, Bayern and RM.
We weren't even in consideration.

This is why we go for Zubimendi, Olmo or Nico. We have some pull for Spanish players, and they aren't highly sought after from the best teams atm.
I would say some players like Olmo do move the needle even at 60 because that's what his buyout clause was.

I remember Thiago leaving us and he definitely moved needles at Bayern and Liverpool

FinBarcelonafan

Ok, I think that Nico and Yamal are slightly overrated here.

Nico was totally hot and cold.
In some matches, he was a machine.
In others, he was like: is he playing today?

Yamal, I won't get too much into complaining since people will get offended, but let's say that his consistency was meh.
He was somewhat quiet in majority of matches and then he would pull the longshot goal or an assist out of nowhere.

TLDR: wingers were either hot and cold (Nico) or quiet (Yamal) who would pull 1-2 moments of magic out of nowhere.
Their wingers were the icing on the cake, but Spain wouldn't win without the rest of the team who worked hard and tried to find spaces for 90 minutes.
So, in short: Spain wouldn't won without deadly wingers.
But also, their deady wingers wouldn't be able to deliver the final bullet (goals) if the rest of the team didn't work well, move, pass and defend for 90 minutes.

So, saying that wingers will solve everything is oversimplification, imo.

I was personally never sold on Pedri's greatness.
He is slow, can't dribble, doesn't have shooting instincts, he is very injury prone and often gets involved in matches too little for Barca's standards.
Gundo is old.
Frenkie was always a weird fit who also can't score.
Fermin can score but is questionable for now in his overal play.
Gavi is a weird player, jack of all trades.

So, for me, Olmo is a midfielder who is our best midfielder currently.

And one more time, look at other big teams, they all have some sort of CAM lately.
Real with Bellingham.
Man City with several players who play as hybrid CAM-wingers.
Bayern uses CAM.
Only Arsenal plays 433 like us, but they have Odegaard who is more lethal than our guys, and often use attackers like Trossard, Martinelli, Havertz as midfielders when they need a goal in the last 20 minutes.

City, Arsenal, the strongest teams:
1. have wingers who can score
2. have a Cf who can score
3. have midfielders around the box who can score.
I personally have more faith in Olmo scoring from around the box, as Foden, De Bruyne etc than Pedri and Gavi.

And one more time, 433 is on a huge decline in top5 leagues compared to 5 years ago.

Maybe we are entering the era of the attacking quartet in Lw-Cam-Rw-Cf as something what will dominate in the next 5 years.
Opponents shit their pants facing Yamal and Williams. They had Messi effect(not same level obviously). Just them staying on the pitch was terrifying opponents and their team had to focus on these two, so they wouldn't cause havoc. Which opened a lot other spaces for other players, which was key for Spain. Finally they had someone opponents had to focus on and even double mark. They haven't had threats like these in a while or never.

Sometimes mere presence is enough. It was same with young Mbappe. Lazy ****, but you can never ignore the guy, because he is so slippery.

FinBarcelonafan

Spain 100% won the Euro because of the team itself. Not because of Yamal or Nico or Olmo alone. That is a good thing. We could maybe learn from that.

Fabian Ruiz, Cucurella, Carvajal were just as important as Rodri and Yamal etc etc.

What cannot be denied is Pedri was outperformed by Olmo. People are going to be real upset when Pedri has no place in this team with Hansi Flick.
Of course it was team effort but why Spain failed in the previous Euro and World Cup was because they had no impact attackers. These guys create a lot of space by being on the pitch, which is crucial.

They were good teams too, but lacked the game breakers. Spain always had good teams.

Loki

Any rumours on the wage. He is on 5m NET in Germany.

Hopefully we didn't go crazy on this one.
So far no credible rumours, but Laporta only hands out big contracts to established worldstars like Lewandowski and Gundogan, which wouldn't have come if they had to reduce their Bayern/City wage.
So I expect Olmo in the Gavi/Pedri/Ansu category around 6m net, which probably gets higher in the future and is depending on performance. Laporta changed the contracts in less basic wage, more performance wage. No need to fear on a crazy contract imo.

FinBarcelonafan

First of all i wish you all would stop all this talk about 433 or 4231 that doesn't exist it is not 2002 anymore. Now players are much better and are much more well rounded so they can play in many different positions and roles. The team shape is fluid and players will move and look for spaces in the game. They are not static and holding their position for the sake of the formation.

It's all about getting players who are so good that they can do almost everything and letting them cover for each other. Olmo is the same profile as the likes of grealish or musiala and he can play anywhere on the pitch due to his technical and physical characteristics.

Yea he isn't a crazy 1v1 speedster but that doesn't matter that itself isn't really useful. He is fast enough knows how to shoot and attack. There are very few 1v1 speedsters in clubs in fact no Pl teams have this kind of player. The only ones are vini and dembele and vini is good because of his movement and shooting more than dribbling.
Dribbling has been made useless since teams defend so well and instead it is much better to possess technical ability, intelligence, and movemrnt to unlock the defenses than focus on 1v1 stuff that will be useful only a few times a match.

Yeah, Pep disagrees. That's why he bought Doku, because he can create spaces by dribbling.

If you have wingers who can't dribble you end up like Barca.. sterile possession because you can't do anything with the ball, so you end up cycle the ball around the pitch for 90 minutes looking for openings. This is easy to defend vs.

Home of Barca Fans