2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

e28makaveli

I just can't see how you watch ManU games when you mention Scholes, you don't know he only plays in easy games these days. He will be lucky to be sub. Also Nani won't start has he hasn't in our tough CL games, which you'd know if you watched UTD. If Barca destroy United, I'll be the first here saying well done Barca, but until that happens and without real knowledge of my team I think its arrogant to suggest how easy it will be for you...

I for one am worried about barca's quality, an healthy respect if you like....maybe you should have the same?

Yeah, you may be right, but Giggs has played superb in the CL in the middle this season, so I'd probably go with Giggs and Fletcher, but I wouldn't be upset if it was Anderson. Its gona be really tough in the middle for us either way...

There is nothing disrespectful in my post and if so, please accept my apology. Maybe I am overly confident but this team has given me all reason to feel this way. Trust me, I am also a harsh critic of Barca as I think they can do a lot better, so I am not saying we are indomitable. I have a healthy dose of respect for ManU and I very aware of what you guys are capable of but like I stated, we are stronger in those critical departments, if not all. It will not be a walk in the part, considering we are playing against the best team in England but if our guys stay focused and mean business, it will be a tough game for you to win, simple as that. Real Madrid is a tougher side we just disposed off, so theoretically we should be able to pull this through with hard work.

My prediction is that you guys will come to defend mostly but problem is no one does this better against Barca that Mourinho albeit with dirty tricks. I see SAF is taking some tips from Mou. Teams that pose us problems are the likes of Arsenal and Shatkhar who come out attacking in full force but you guys do not have such personel, especially when you take out wild cards like Nani, although undisciplined, who IMHO is required in games like this.

Play overly disciplined defensive football and you will be beat by Barca although by a very fine margin. Also, folks like Vidic do not have the temperament to pull this kind of focused defense for 90 minutes. Come and actually try to attack and pressure the ball as this will rattle our cage a little and maybe take us off our game but how do you propose to do this all day long with Giggs marshaling the center? Love the guy but he is 37 for goodness sake! Anderson is very deterministic and is no serious threat going forward. I have the same issue on Anderson as I have with our Busquets -lack of balls. In contrast, compare this to Iniesta, Xavi and Messi and you wee why I have so much believe we can finish the job.

You guys are definitely better at set pieces so if you rattle our defenses, which is easy to do, you will get a lot more free kicks. I realize ManU can win this too but I place my bet on Barca.

Last edited:

Creepy

Iam kinda curious to see how Man Utd will try and stop us from playing especially in the midfield. Will they stack the midfield with Fletcher Park and Anderson? will Giggs and Scholes play? What about Nani and Valencia? whatever formation they use I believe it will hamper there chances of winning more than it will ours. Man Utd try and stak the midfield with three destroyers: they give up their Attack, they try and be attacking then Man Utds midfield will be overun

Well, I'll try to answer that for you. First of all, I will be very surprised if Scholes plays any part as he has simply no legs left. I'm waging my bets on a 4-3-3 with Fletcher, Carrick and Park, IMO. I think it will be up to Fletcher to deal with Messi as he the most energetic of our midfielders. The only problem is that he's only back from injury. I'm not sure, he might not even make it. (I hope he does, we missed him big time in Rome) Park should, for me, be dealing with Alves as he give you that extra attacking dimension. Even, off the ball his runs are so dangerous, which create space for other players. Xavi and Iniesta will dominate, no doubt about it but if we stay compact and hold our defensive line well it will be much harder for them to thread them passes through. Composure is going to be key for us. I have no doubt that a single goal will win it as SAF will not make the same mistake again.

United will not come out and open up. Not in the first hour. I think will try to frustrate you. On the basis of Rome. It also depends on the referee. If it's Buancaranca(Sorry for the SP) we will be considerably more physical. FWIW, I think if United are to win it, it'll all be down to SAF. He will not want to be 'embarrassed' like we were in Rome again.

RedCafe Noob.

Juan03

I see this as a 50/50 we are better than 09 but so are they imo, and SAF is a great coach i expect him to have learned something from that 09 final and he is gonna have a better gameplay. in any case i trust Barca 100% that they can play their best game and bring home the 4th CL. i hope we see a fair and entertaining game unlike the first three clasicos.

innniesta

i've watched a couple of united games as my friends and my dad support them and i have to admit they have been deadly. hernandez is a pretty sick striker and always gets into dangerous positions and rooney delivers some pretty good passes to him. Similar to messi and villa ticking @ the beginning of our season. For this reason i was actually very scared of united and think they have a good chance to win as they are clinical. However, everytime i have any doubts, barcelona just thrash the opponent. While i think hernandez is great i wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt see the ball at all.

There were many deadly strikers i was afraid of.. benzema, higs because they are great opportunist and get into great positions. But then during the game.. barcelona's midfield dominated so hard that they didnt even see the ball.. I hope its the same and i think we'll come out ahead ! but for past precedents (everytime im negative we thrash them) ill continue to be negative until the game ! =P

Pepe Silvia

Good point about chicharito actually. Thinkiking of one player giving me terrors is Higgers (see disallowed goal for reason). We kept so much posession that aside from that one play, he didn't exist at all. That is impressive on our defense, but with chicharito or fuck it ALL united forwards we can't let up for 90+ minutes.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Chicharito won't do much if his team isn't providing scoring chances, he's not the type of player that can create chances like Rooney.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fergie goes with 4-5-1 with Valencia and Giggs at the flanks, Anderson, Carrick, and Fletcher at the center, and Rooney as the lone striker. Then I can see him bringing on Nani and Chicharito for Giggs and one of the center mids, these two fresh off the bench can cause damage to our tired defense later on, especially Nani. Of course it will also depend on how the game goes, but for any scenario other than United winning I can see this as the main mindset Fergie will go with..

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
The Line Up I am hoping for is.

-------------------VDS-------------------
Rafael-------Rio-------Vidic-------Evra
------------Carrick----------------------
----------------------Fletcher-----------
------Anderson-------------------------
Valencia---------------------------Park
---------------Rooney------------------

We wont have alot of the ball, so we need energy, that team has it in abundance. Park, Ando, Valencia and Rooney are also very effective on the break.

You are the favourites and rightly so. But I still hope we can get a result, I'm confident that Fergie will have learned from last time aswell.

Flavius

We wont have alot of the ball, so we need energy, that team has it in abundance. Park, Ando, Valencia and Rooney are also very effective on the break.

You are the favourites and rightly so. But I still hope we can get a result, I'm confident that Fergie will have learned from last time aswell.

No Giggs?

Last edited:

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou

you need at least one of giggs or scholes to start or else United's Midfield will be in trouble

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
No Giggs?

Giggs, Chicharito/Berba* and Fabio** are my 3 subs i Would use.

*Chicha - 0-0 or 1-0 Barca and we need a goal. Berba if we are winning and we need the ball to stick up front for last 10.

**Fabio because i fear one of the twins will get sent off, so he replaces his brother.

you need at least one of giggs or scholes to start or else United's Midfield will be in trouble

Anderson is better for this game, Giggs is very good against teams where we will have a large share of possesion, But he doesnt have the legs to chase the ball for a large chunk of the game. Scholes will play little or no part (I hope)

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou
Giggs, Chicharito/Berba* and Fabio** are my 3 subs i Would use.

*Chicha - 0-0 or 1-0 Barca and we need a goal. Berba if we are winning and we need the ball to stick up front for last 10.

**Fabio because i fear one of the twins will get sent off, so he replaces his brother.

Anderson is better for this game, Giggs is very good against teams where we will have a large share of possesion, But he doesnt have the legs to chase the ball for a large chunk of the game. Scholes will play little or no part (I hope)

Dont you think their Experience will count in such a huge game ?

Creepy

Yes, You're 100% correct. We will need experience.Although, Giggs is not a as disciplined as say Carrick, Fletcher and Park. I can see Giggsy coming on second half.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Dont you think their Experience will count in such a huge game ?

Im sure it would, But experience counts for nothing if there so fatigued we are getting overrun no?

Giggs will play 25/30 minutes I hope, to help close the game out or try and create something. But you saw what happened with Scholes at Wembley in the semi, He just simply cant last more than 30 mins, and that was against City, nevermind Barcelona. And i am almost certain Barcelona will pressurise the referee everytime he tackles. So he may make a cameo, but nothing substantial.

Anderson is very good at driving us forward with his dribbling from midfield, plus hes in good form atm...

Creepy

Hi, all. I'm Creepy everybody. I should introduce myself. I'm a red and i'm from RedCafe. I'm on newbie forum there. I come in peace. :)

desoe

Hi, all. I'm Creepy everybody. I should introduce myself. I'm a red and i'm from RedCafe. I'm on newbie forum there. I come in peace. :)

Hi, Creepy.

I'm reading RedCafe when I want to have some fun. It's an amazing place :D

Home of Barca Fans