2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

Thierry

United had some perfect shape going into this European Final, and almost want to say that their 2009 campaign was better than recent.

I properly place blame on their team captain looking at first 10 minutes and 80 minutes of the match. It could have been a water tight match which (in my opinion) would have gone down in history as a classic. I was amazed at Valencia's static posture not getting those speedy legs up the flank and supply into the box, again United midfield was obvious. Nani could have come on earlier to get balls moving along the other flank, Hernandez could not find adequate support when he needed it, chances were being half-halted by a defence line that included a half-patient (Eric) and a pensive looking Mascherano without a compass. It was havoc dis-organisation in United camp imo. Yes, holding vs FCB is a full time job and so it had to be on this once-off match. ( you run till you sweat blood) and Rubin Kazan are a humble example that Sir Alex had to impress on the squad.

Sir Alex was perplexed not so much about FCB's performance (as many, including him already are aware of this) but the fact they failed to keep a tight game plan as they had rehearsed. Paisley's record will stand at this time and as great a manager as he is Sir Alex, I have never seen him so low they way he was after the 90 minute spell.

Congratulations to both sides for reaching the final and Well done to us.

barcaboy15

Have you seen Villa's goal from inside the stadium? It's awesome:

Haha great video, there's nothing better than an inside the stadium video for getting the atmosphere of a game.

How I wish I could have gone to the match - would have been worth every penny.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
And now Messi's goal from another angle:

I love people's murmur when Messi get the ball. You know he will do someting great when this happens. :D

Last edited:

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
Eh eh!

You'll be even more impressed by the actual stats...

777 - Total number of passes that Barcelona made in the final, more than double Manchester United's 357. Barca had 69% of overall ball possession.

148 - Passes that Spanish midfielder Xavi completed during the game, a high for the Champions League this season. He misplaced only seven, giving him a completion rate of 95%.

90 - Percentage of passes completed by the Barcelona team. United's was 80%.

60 - Passes between Xavi and Andres Iniesta, the most common pass journey on the pitch. United's most frequent combination was between defender Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic (16).

55 - Number of times Xavi and Iniesta passed to Messi.

18 - Passes made by Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes - two more than Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez.

16 - Times United fouled Barcelona's players. Barcelona did likewise to their opponents on only five occasions.

15 - Dribbles by Messi, of which 10 were successful. Wayne Rooney was the next most frequent dribbler with six.

12 - Shots on target by Barcelona. Messi and Iniesta had three of these each.

11.95 - According to Uefa, distance in kilometres covered by Xavi, the highest in the Barcelona team. Ryan Giggs covered the greatest distance by a United player (11.16km).

1 - Number of shots that Manchester United had on target. This was Rooney's 34th-minute goal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13588273.stm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! STATS!!!

I'm getting tickets in that general vicinity in the Nou Camp next year. guaranteed.

also ... STOLEN!!

liger05

Amazing performance and now nobody can doubt the greatness of this side. The game played out just as I thought it would. Posession is king and I knew Utd would hardly see the ball.

Real glad to see Villa who went through a dry spell score such a great goal in the final. Messi was superb!!

The beauty of barcelona is they play this way week in week out. There is no special treatment for certain opponents.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron

Everyone went absolutely crazy when that goal went in, was such an amazing strike! The 2 goal cushion relaxed everyone as well, so the rest of the game was basically a celebration. I'll put some pictures up later if I get round to it.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Just watched Manchester United's MUTV post match vid, some very kewl things to take from it...recommended viewing

X

xaviniesta

Eto'o goal in 2009 CL final and Pedro goal 2011 CL 2011 look awfuly similar to me. Barca won the ball -- quick one-two -- Iniesta/Xavi run trough the Manchester defence and give pass to Eto'o/Pedro who finishes.

Home of Barca Fans